Mission Gemini 2-P

• Long time no see!

I just became the owner of an older Mission Gemini 2-P. This was before they included a toggle switch to use both speakers with one power amp.

So, ill be ordering a Y cable. I would like to go 4 ohms. The manual seems to specify its OK, but i'm not really into the idea of possible signal loss due too circuit protection. Is 16 ohms going to be enough volume if I go that route?

I'm coming from using 2x12 loaded V30s, and most recently an open back 1x12 with a V30 in it. I'm pretty sure i'm on the verge of frying that one...

This will be my first FRFR since owning a Kemper. Im pretty excited. 8) I feel like my profile choices for live use just expanded 10 fold!!!!

• OK, so I didn’t get any user experiences regarding the mission 2-P. I am going to hijack my own thread

I have the 2-P in my possession now. I rewired it in parallel at 4ohms. I did this by jumping the crossovers at the input.

The 2-P is really nice. Having everywhere be a sweet spot in front of it is strange. It has plenty of low end. Enough that a lot of profiles, including the Mbritt stuff, feels a bit woofy. It doesn’t sound bad, but I prefer articulate, mid focused tone. I play higher gain and do a lot of palm muted single note stuff. It’s where I need to be in the mix. Monitoring from the Mission instead of headphones, studio monitors, guitar cab, is awesome. It sounds great at apartment levels and sounds...real. I imagine this will translate well to rehearsal volume. The kemper seems dull to me through headphones and monitors in comparison. I’m assuming it is the lack of resonance.

One huge realization I had today: I like G25s more than V30s, and I have been playing V30s my entire music career. I bought the Phil X Top Jimi pack (awesome, btw) and it has G20s , 25s, and 30s.

Compared to the various V30 2x12s, open back 1x12s and 4x12s I use, the Mission with the Kemper just resolves at a higher level. (I have always used merged or DI profiles with my traditional cabs).

The other huge thing is having every single rig open to me now, merged or not. I can finally use that super good Morgan profile on the rig exchange live!!

I’ll update after a rehearsal or two. So far I’m really enjoying it.

• Update:

Mission is sold. While it sounded great at normal people volumes, it just didn’t cut it with the rest of the band. At enough volume it started sounding boxy and any palm muting at all made the cabinet woof pretty bad. It was loud enough, it was just sloppy sounding. I mainly play the single note lead stuff and the textural parts and it just wasn’t present.

Good news is I made $300 on the cab and ended up paying $100 bucks on top of it at guitar center for a brand new Orange 2x12.