Connect KPA to PC for recordings

• Hi guys,

I'm totally new to all this, just had a few days to play a bit with the Kemper. Usually I record with my PC, did this the same way with my other modelling amp and that went just fine.

I have a Focusrite box (scarlett 2i2) which is connected to te PC with USB. Basicly it is an external sound card with low latency where you can plug in both XLR and TS jacks. It also offers a headphone jack.

Now I'm hearing a big difference between the sound of the headphones into the focusrite box or when I plug in direct to the Kemper. Direct to the Kemper is way fuller, way better. The thinner sound also ends up in my recordings. I think this is strange because the focusrite box is ment to record with on a PC and its reviews where fine.

The kemper is connected with 2 guitar cables (TS jacks) from main output to the focusrite box.

Any helpful thoughts would be highly appriciated...

• It has been discussed before that headphones sound better when connected to the kemper rather than the sound card. Whether the kemper's headphone output is not linear, or it simply drives headphones better than the usual interfaces I don't know.

I can only advise you to find your favourite profiles and tweak them using headphones connected to the interface rather than to the kemper, so what you're monitoring matches what is recorded to the track.

• Headphone amp in the Kemper is way better than the headphone amp in that interface, man. Just saying...I've read complaints like yours from Focusrite owners for a while....even up to and including the 18i20, the big $600 one with all the I/O.

I remember a problem like this when I first got my Kemper, there was a thread somewhere that gave me some tips on matching up volumes and whatnot in the Kemper; I'll see if I can dig it up.

I'd want to say check your main outs volumes and headphone out volumes, it might be hitting the headphone out way harder than the main outs are hitting your interface...see if you can match those up.

• are you sure that you listen at the same output levels?

and i guess you are connecting the main outs to your interface?

Yes indeed, adjusted volumes to match by simply turning up the HP volume of the interface. Main outs go into interface as well

• Headphone amp in the Kemper is way better than the headphone amp in that interface, man. Just saying...I've read complaints like yours from Focusrite owners for a while....even up to and including the 18i20, the big $600 one with all the I/O.

I remember a problem like this when I first got my Kemper, there was a thread somewhere that gave me some tips on matching up volumes and whatnot in the Kemper; I'll see if I can dig it up.

I'd want to say check your main outs volumes and headphone out volumes, it might be hitting the headphone out way harder than the main outs are hitting your interface...see if you can match those up.

If you can dig this up this could be helpfull potentialy. But I think you're right , HP out on interface just isn't that good.

All output levels are equal, there's no difference in main out and headphones out in the Kemper but good idea though. When I crank up the main it overloads so that's no good either. I thought the Scarlett was a good box but having second thoughts now...

• It has been discussed before that headphones sound better when connected to the kemper rather than the sound card. Whether the kemper's headphone output is not linear, or it simply drives headphones better than the usual interfaces I don't know.

I can only advise you to find your favourite profiles and tweak them using headphones connected to the interface rather than to the kemper, so what you're monitoring matches what is recorded to the track.

Yes that makes sense, thanks Michael, I'll keep use

ing HP out on interface.

• Had an idea: what if I connect the HP out of the interface to AUX IN of the Kemper? That way I still hear playback from audio files I'm recording with a great guitar sound. I tried it, set the input to mono so sound comes from both sides instead of only left or right (AUX IN Kemper is Alternate input and return input for left and right). This works, and I record with a great guitar sound. I can play it back through the Kemper but then things sound real shit again. When I play it back through my speakers it is better, somewhere halfway between HP Kemper and HP interface. So luckily the recording gets better then the HP out from interface. Still way less then the HP out of the Kemper which is a shame...

• Had an idea: what if I connect the HP out of the interface to AUX IN of the Kemper? That way I still hear playback from audio files I'm recording with a great guitar sound. I tried it, set the input to mono so sound comes from both sides instead of only left or right (AUX IN Kemper is Alternate input and return input for left and right). This works, and I record with a great guitar sound. I can play it back through the Kemper but then things sound real shit again. When I play it back through my speakers it is better, somewhere halfway between HP Kemper and HP interface. So luckily the recording gets better then the HP out from interface. Still way less then the HP out of the Kemper which is a shame...

Yeah...I was thinking if you were only listening through headphones, than that was your problem due to the poor amp in the Focusrite. But to hear that it also sounds main when playing through your mains...that doesn't make sense to me, I think there is something wrong somewhere (sorry, I know that's not exactly helpful).

The focusrite should have no issue recording and playing back your guitar tones without any noticeable loss of quality. Headphone amp is one thing, but for it to sound bad through your mains as well...I dunno, that should sound pretty good, I don't think the Focusrite is that bad.

Regarding a replacement interface, I have used a UAD Apollo Twin, and they are excellent, great interfaces with the ability to run UAD's fantastic plugins from the DSP of the interface itself, freeing up the CPU on your PC.

I have a RME Babyface, and love it. Headphones sound great, monitors sound great, everything is great :D These can be grabbed really cheap used these days for the quality you're getting. The hardware monitoring is really good, and the routing software (TotalMix) is some of the best out there.

MOTU is also one to look at. Probably the most bang-for-your-buck of about anything out there, and from all accounts, just about as good of a "bang" as anything else.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Have you tried different cables?

Resetting the Kemper (do a backup), or reinstalling the drivers for your Focusrite?

Is your Windows machine optimized since the last update, if on 10?

What about different headphones?

Change the buffer in ASIO?

Just spit-ballin' here, man! :/

Headphones is one thing (the impedance is low on those), but recording poor sound seems strange like it's hardware or settings? A small headphone amp is cheap. Upgrading to something better is good idea!

+1 for all of Locrain suggestions re: interfaces! Presonus and Steinberg are popular as well. :thumbup:

• Yes, please do all these and more before buying a new interface, unless you just really want a different one anyway. I think the Scarlett should sound fine through the main outs if everything is set up correctly.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Yes, been there, done that. I tested more extensively yesterday. Changed to my buildin soundcard and made a recording with that. That sounds better at first glance but is just with more volume. When I compared this recording in my DAW with one made with the focusrite and compensated the volume they actually sound the same more or less. I think it records OK but playback from my simple speakers just sounds way less then the output from the Kemper HP. Wanted to send 2 samples for you guys but that's not allowed I noticed. So lets do it this way:

Sample audiocard PC: https://drive.google.com/open?…G9bMsGS0fFLefNdA6gDwWzZif

Sample Focusrite: https://drive.google.com/open?…Frr1jf6dyPCxRJtn73Oo2IHVn

I checked out the great suggestions from Locrain (thanks man, you really made an effort of helping me out here!) for the interfaces but they are pretty expensive over here. That cooled my mood for buying another quitte a bit haha.

Basicly I think the recordings are ok, just the HP amp of the Focusrite isn't. And the sound of the Kemper HP out is unmatched. Do you guys have that also I wonder?