Best Profiles for...?

• Because I am selling these off, and would like a good profile. No, I don't have a Mic. or even the know-how yet to create one :)

But can I assume a m SM57 is the Mic I would want to do it with?

My advise would be to first check out the Super-/Deluxe Reverb profiles out there if they sound like you want them to sound like. If yes, sell 'em (the amps). If no, get a $100 SM57 (the standard mic for guitar amps, but can be a bit hard to find the right spot to place it. It's very sensitive to proper positioning) or a $100 Sennheiser e906 (far easier to handle, way more forgiving and has a great sound) and learn to mic an amp. It's actually not that hard if you're knowing what to do. If in doubt, you can ask me for help.

• My advise would be to first check out the Super-/Deluxe Reverb profiles out there if they sound like you want them to sound like. If yes, sell 'em (the amps). If no, get a $100 SM57 (the standard mic for guitar amps, but can be a bit hard to find the right spot to place it. It's very sensitive to proper positioning) or a $100 Sennheiser e906 (far easier to handle, way more forgiving and has a great sound) and learn to mic an amp. It's actually not that hard if you're knowing what to do. If in doubt, you can ask me for help.

Might be worth getting the SM57 just to tinker. Thanks!

• Just got my powered head and was going to profile my amps (Marshall, Fender, Vox, etc.). After auditioning a lot of tones, I decided to just sell them without profiling them first.

My criteria may be different than yours. In my case, I'm not trying to reproduce authentic tones of a specific era or amp. I have a Fender Blues Deluxe that I do clean and slight breakup stuff on. If I find sounds in Rig Manager that give me those types of sounds (and there are tons), I'm happy - even if the amp and speakers used have nothing to do with Fender Blues Deluxe. I'm essentially auditioning with my eyes closed.

If you have particular sounds you get out of your amp, and you can't find them anywhere else, the profiling process seems very straightforward. If there are already lots of profiles that get what you're looking for, then it just comes down to whether or not you enjoy fiddling around with things like profiling.

And of course, you can never have too many 57s. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Chris Duncan While I lov many of the commercial profiles and also lots of the free ones in RIg Exchnage (there is some real crap in RE too though) I often find that nothing beats just setting up one of my one amps, twida few knobs u til it sounds the way I want it then profiling it. Its often quicker and easier than searching for a good profile or tweaking one to sound the way you want.

• Chris Duncan While I lov many of the commercial profiles and also lots of the free ones in RIg Exchnage (there is some real crap in RE too though) I often find that nothing beats just setting up one of my one amps, twida few knobs u til it sounds the way I want it then profiling it. Its often quicker and easier than searching for a good profile or tweaking one to sound the way you want.

If I had any talent at dialing in tones I would have kept my amps for exactly that reason (they all have new homes now). Having picked up a few commercial packs that do the kinds of things I want to do, I'm still doing a bit of tweaking but it's typically very subtle, e.g. bumping the bass or nudging the comp a little. Mostly I'm able to find profiles that give me what I'm looking for. My guitar has never sounded better and my frustration level with tones has dropped to almost nonexistent.

I heard a lot of rock stuff on RE that I didn't care for at all, but my first assumption is always that they're dialing in a tone for a style of rock that I probably don't enjoy either, so what may be perfect for the song they're doing would be inappropriate for mine.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10