Seamless Patch Changes & Spillovers

• I was about to buy a kemper the other day and tried it out. But, I noticed something I didn't like about it and I thought this wouldn't exist anymore in modern processors. The patch changes were not seamless at all. It didn't even have spillovers with the delay and reverb. I know about the sense and also about programing the kemper to do everything automatically with a laptop. But, what I really like is true seamless patch changes with delay and reverb spillover and yes even old processors can do them. For example my TC electronic g-force in combo with my digitech GSP1101 are as seamless as can be and they can do spillover with any delay or reverb.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    Skip the video to 5:99 It is the only reason I still use them today and haven't upgraded at all to be honest. Not only they sound great but that feature is very important to play live. Please make the kemper change patch seamlessly and add spillovers with delays and reverbs in the future please. I want to have all those amp sounds but still be able to have those features.

• like I said with the system I already have I don't need to have it in any kind of mode or anything. I can program as many effects into one patch and I am 100% seamless. That's what I personally need. So I looked for a feedback section and Im here asking for it. please make it so its just seamless changing patch. Ive been also looking around and I'm not the only that notice this. https://www.thegearpage.net/bo…ss-patch-changes.1522847/ just suggesting for the future. Not here to debate anything. Just trying to maybe help. With that IM out

• You seem to be missing the point. Performance mode is just a way to group 5 “patches” per “bank” (we call them Rigs and Performances around these parts, haha ;)). There is seemless switching between the 5 patches in a bank, and as Ingolf stated, the delays and reverbs spill over, as long as they’re placed in the Delay and Reverb effect slots.

• Yep, as Sam and Ingolf have said it already has seamless changes and spillover. Performance mode is just the mane used to describe it but basically its exactly what you are looking for so it doesn't need to be added. I watched your video and then quickly set up my Kemper to do the same thing. Took me less than 30 seconds and it did it.

• Any idea why this cannot be achieved in browser mode? All my patches are selected via midi and I would prefer not to have to transfer all 60 or so into performance mode.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Ikm not 100% certain but I imagine it’s because browser mode loads every rig and effect one at a time beause it can’t load say 1000 rigs into a buffer and it doesn’t know how to narrow it down to a more manageable subset. On the other hand Performance mode loads 5 rigs and their effects into a buffer so they are immediately available.

As I say I’m only speculating on this. It would be good if burkard or ckemper could confirm.

• the trade off is you have the BEST tube tone ( TONEs) anywhere, so if seemless switching in all modes is more important to you then the BEST tone on earth,, stay with the digitech,, right???,, all tech has its limits,,

• Ikm not 100% certain but I imagine it’s because browser mode loads every rig and effect one at a time beause it can’t load say 1000 rigs into a buffer and it doesn’t know how to narrow it down to a more manageable subset. On the other hand Performance mode loads 5 rigs and their effects into a buffer so they are immediately available.

As I say I’m only speculating on this. It would be good if burkard or ckemper could confirm.

So if I were to go between 2 patches in a different banks of 5, it still wouldn't spill over effects?

Karl

• Yes, spillover is available in the Delay and Reverb slots regardless of Browse or Performance mode.

I'll have to try again, because this was not my experience at a recent show. I had a long delay with plenty of feedback and when the keyboard player sent a p/c to my Kemper it cut off the delay. That was in the delay slot too.

Karl

Edited once, last by karlic ().

• I'll have to try again, because this was not my experience at a recent show. I had a long delay with plenty of feedback and when the keyboard player sent a p/c to my Kemper it cut off the delay. That was in the delay slot too.

maybe spillover was deactivated in that rig.

Rig Spillover Off

If this option is selected, the effects placed in the DLY and REV modules will not generate spillover, should you switch to another Rig or Slot. This means their delay and reverb tails will be cut as soon as the Rig is changed, rather than decaying.

• Spillover works in Browse mode just fine for me. Ok, if I jump from profile to profile it might not spill over every time but if I've had a profile selected for more than just a few seconds, it works just fine.

• Any idea why this cannot be achieved in browser mode? All my patches are selected via midi and I would prefer not to have to transfer all 60 or so into performance mode.

It's called Performance Mode because it's optimized for live applications.

Populating 60 Slots in Performance Mode with Rigs from your browse pool is a matter of a few minutes. Slots have their MIDI program changes preassigned in a linear fashion. So program change #60 is for example preassigned to Slot 5 of Performance 12. If you store your existing Rigs in the Slots according to their assigned MIDI program changes in Browser Mode, do don't need to care about any new MIDI assignments.

• maybe spillover was deactivated in that rig.

Rig Spillover Off

If this option is selected, the effects placed in the DLY and REV modules will not generate spillover, should you switch to another Rig or Slot. This means their delay and reverb tails will be cut as soon as the Rig is changed, rather than decaying.

Thanks. This is something I certainly didn't notice.

Karl

• Generally and by default, you enjoy spillover everywhere except if you switch it off in a particular Rig. However, you need to be aware, that spillover doesn't work forever. It's fading out after a while. If you have a very long or even eternal delay tail, that is not maintained forever after any Rig change. Spillover is not a looper. Otherwise you could be facing a delay tail in a Rig with no way to control it. And if you switch from Rig A to Rig B and immediately to Rig C, you won't enjoy spillover from Rig A in Rig C.

• Thanks Burkard and I had not disabled spillover. This issue seems to have been to do with Pro Tools program changes. We had note chase enabled on the midi track and that applied to p/c too. Therefore it picked up 2 quick changes of rig when a new song was started and cut my delays.

Karl

Edited once, last by karlic ().