Di / merged profiles sources and practical stuff

• I have always played kpa through a cab (stage sound). Recently I auditioned some di / merged profiles, and discovered the cabless signal is more open Compared to studioprofiles where kpa calculates the cab.

So I have decided to switch to merged / di profiles exclusively.

1/ Which commercial profilers offer di/merged profiles, and do so by profiling multiple settings of the same amp?

2/ is there an effective way to identify what is a merged profile, and what is a studio? Is there somekind of checkbox anywhere?...or do we have to go on title/descriptions?

3/ Did anyone cover this issue succesfully:

- unlike using studio profiles, when using merged profiles, the difference between uncabsimmed sound (to my amp), and cabsimmed sound (to foh) gets unpredictable. Did anyone cover this in a practical way? I could imagine using 1 IR for all your profiles is gonna work.

(Recommendations to switch to frfr not needed ;))

• 1) that’s a question for the “Third Party Rigs” Forum - your thread may be moved there when answers appear.

2) There is not a Rig Tag for this - it must be indicated in the Rig name, Comments, it some other field.

3) The FOH sound is just as predictable as it is with Studio Profiles, if you audition/edit them the same way as you should Studio Profiles. Use the Main Ouputs into Studio Monitors. For your onstage cabinet sound, you may be able to use the Monitor Output EQ to make a global adjustment.

• 2) There is not a Rig Tag for this - it must be indicated in the Rig name, Comments, it some other field.

This one is a bit of a bummer. I've had to email profilers before to find out if a pack was Studio or Merged. The info is not always available. I wish there was automatic tagging of the .kipr file...one can dream I guess. :D

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• I hear you, i'm currently on the same path and i can't find reliable info, but i think since this is quite "new" - Firmware-wise - there might be some updates available. I wrote to some of the profilers if there is a possibility to make a DI/Merged Pack or something since a few are more and more going into IR production.

On the other hand, i also read that DI boxes tend to color the tone quite a bit, so you would move away a little bit from the philosophy of creating a digital copy of an amp.

Should we open a new thread in the mentioned third party rig discussion or wait until this one has answers and gets moved?

Cheers

once a purist, then analog pragmatic and finally a digital believer who found out that you can't hear a mosquito fart in a band-context.