Organization and access - best practices?

• Okay, I've had some time to play around and now I'm trying to learn how best to navigate this beast. There are close to 300 profiles on the unit by default. To get a feel for what commercial packs are like, I went to M. Britt and bought the 800 and Crank n Go packs. So, I now have 400+ loaded. Everything I've heard is excellent, but of course not everything is going to be relevant to the song at hand.

if I'm setting up for a specific band / gig / song list it's pretty straightforward. I can simply load the guys I'm going to use, save off and then delete the rest, and I'm set. Where it gets a bit more daunting is in the exploratory / inspirational area, and I'm speaking specifically of standing in front of the Kemper and 4x12 rather than sitting in front of a computer in the control room with Rig Manager.

Maybe I'm looking for a chimey Vox, or a crunchy 800, or Eddie melting glass. I'd naturally like to dial up that chunk of profiles to audition without having to wade through a lot of irrelevant ones in between. In normal computer stuff I'd have those grouped in folders, which is exactly what you can do with folders in the local library of Rig Manager. However, as best I understand, the unit itself has a flat structure regarding the profiles - it's just a 1 to x list. You can sort by a few attributes, but you're still down to scrolling / paging one at a time. There's no grouping or other organizational features that I'm aware of. Obviously, scrolling through hundreds of profiles when I'm really just looking for a batch of 30 or 40 is less than optimal.

I would imagine you guys have come up with best practices to make it as easy as possible to find and navigate your profiles. How do you organize things on the to make it easy for you to poke around and find the kinds of sounds you're looking for without sitting in front of Rig Manager?

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• i do perfomances of my favorite amps with profiles of different gain levels

the thing with the kemper is that you have so many choices that it can block your creativity..

so my advice is - keep it simple and keep your kemper clean - it doesn’t make sense to have tousand profiles on it and you just ply some of them.

so my priority list is: online rigs -> local rig manager -> kemper -> performances

have fun finding the best sounding amps for you and put them in a performace :)

another way could be to pick 5 favourtes of the sounds you use (eg clean, crunch, lead) and put them in a perfomance. like that you can compare the different amps with the same gain level easily.

btw i use rig manager to create the performances, you can copy paste the rigs in there and naming is easier too.

• Thanks, man.

Sounds like you do most of your auditioning in Rig Manager and then deploy your choices to the Kemper. I can do that, but I find sitting in front of the computer, guitar in lap, mouse in one hand, fooling with software to be an uncomfortable posture. It's more natural to stand in front of the amp, but of course then you're back to scrolling through the stuff you're auditioning.

the thing with the kemper is that you have so many choices that it can block your creativity..

Yep, that's exactly the "analysis paralysis" I'm looking to avoid. Very stoked to have so many great tones to choose from, but I need to get a cattle prod and herd them into a small but unruly group.

Nice problems to have, of course.:)

• I do all my auditioning in Rig Manager but I don't need to sit guitar in lap and mouse in hand. I can just as easily stand in front of my computer as I can my amp. As for the mouse. I don't use it that much. My process is just narrow down the selection with a quick search field. Rank in rig manager by some parameter by clicking the column header. I typically use gain ranked lowest to highest. Mouse click to select the first profile to audition. From here on I just use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to move around the rig list. Once a rig is selected up and down moves to the next rig and automatically selects it to audition.

I think all of this might become irrelevant once the new preset management system comes out though.

• I do all my auditioning in Rig Manager but I don't need to sit guitar in lap and mouse in hand. I can just as easily stand in front of my computer as I can my amp. As for the mouse. I don't use it that much. My process is just narrow down the selection with a quick search field. Rank in rig manager by some parameter by clicking the column header. I typically use gain ranked lowest to highest. Mouse click to select the first profile to audition. From here on I just use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to move around the rig list. Once a rig is selected up and down moves to the next rig and automatically selects it to audition.

I think all of this might become irrelevant once the new preset management system comes out though.

That's been pretty much my process as well. The more I play with it, the more I prefer auditioning in front of the near fields rather than out of the 4x12. It's not only a more detailed sound, it's wysiwyg, so to speak.