Pinch harmonics

• I have a very good technique at pinch harmonics, but I noticed over the years when I play different guitars and amplifiers they sound different. My question to you is out of these four what is your opinion?

I have very good technique at pinch harmonics, but I noticed over the years when I played different guitars and amplifiers they sound different. My question to you is out of these for what is your opinion? Is it the pick ups? Is it the guitar? Is it the amplifier? Is it the gain?

Any Kemper setting that will help?

• The entire signal chain, from guitar to what comes out of the speakers, will affect how much the harmonics leap out at you. I've found that the high gain profiles do a really good job of giving me what I would expect in that area.

When I can hit the damned harmonics, that is.

I played Strats for ages but a year or so ago got a PRS that's become my go to guitar. And because of the different scale, the thumb harmonics aren't where my hand is used to them being on a Strat. I can hit them, of course, but muscle memory still wants to drift back towards the bridge. Stupid fingers.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• It's all four of course, and more. Too thick strings can trip you up for example. Some are more important than others, the guitar and amp "matter", but as long as you have a good amount of gain and decently hot pickups you can squeal all day with the crappiest gear in the world. A great guitar and amp won't you get you there without the pickups/gain, but they will enhance harmonics provided you have those elements.

JMO, of course, I mean I can grab pinch harmonics on an acoustic...but I don't think that's exactly what you're getting at...they're kind of quiet. :D

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• I have a very good technique at pinch harmonics, but I noticed over the years when I play different guitars and amplifiers they sound different. My question to you is out of these four what is your opinion?

I have very good technique at pinch harmonics, but I noticed over the years when I played different guitars and amplifiers they sound different. My question to you is out of these for what is your opinion? Is it the pick ups? Is it the guitar? Is it the amplifier? Is it the gain?

Any Kemper setting that will help?

It’s a combination of all of them... Unless playing through headphones, you should be able to squeal all day and grab those pinch harmonics... volume and placement of player to speaker make a big difference.

• As above...EQ is also a factor...Zakk Wylde thumps them out ( bit too much if you ask me) and his sound is quite middy, so adding some mid rather than scoping can help, but generally you need a harmonically rich sound to isolate the various harmonics..

• Ahhhhh the pinched harmonic in the Beat It solo.... best example ever.

I generally find, humbuckers in the bridge position are the best/easiest to get a clear sound as well as a mid > high gain drive.

(However, I still fluff them a lot)

• Ahhhhh the pinched harmonic in the Beat It solo.... best example ever.

I generally find, humbuckers in the bridge position are the best/easiest to get a clear sound as well as a mid > high gain drive.

(However, I still fluff them a lot)

The tapped harmonics at the start are better :)

• All of the above! Each of the options you mentioned affect the quality of your pinch harmonics. Even different profiles of the same amp will react differently. I find that, to get the most powerful pinches, using a profile with high attack, maybe a little power sag, and a nice blend of reverb will make it resonate a bit more than say... a max gain Mesa rectum-frier with no mods. Tube Screamer pedal effect also helps out a bit when I try to blend the drive with the amp's profiled drive.

• great question !

I like my guitar tone set so I can ping the pinch harmonics out as and when I feel the need also.

I've never fully understood what the difference is between different setups either.

I can remember years ago I was relatively happy with my tone, until I saw some guy playing on YouTube absolutely ringing pitched harmonics like bell with a rocktron prophesy.

I went on eBay within the week and with a bit of tweaking there they were. I'd been convinced for years my technique was crap!?

I definitely think as the others have said it is a combination of everything ...... the point someone made about volume was interesting.... I will try that later.

I personally think alot of it is the guitar itself. The pickups and amp settings and all the rest either bring them out further or squash them.

I'm only very much a hobby player, but have a few different guitars. I don't tend to change the pick ups, just keep the stock ones. Some guitars ring really well and some you can't get to ring very well at all even in the same setup.

I bought a washburn st3 years ago, loved the shape and feel but couldn't get the pinch harmonics ringing very Well, even after pick up swaps, so sold it.

What I find odd is I've got an Ibanez with a tone zone and an air Norton in neck which is my easiest guitar for me to hit them and they jump out right out. Even in the neck !

On the flip side of that.... I've just bought a Bernie rico Jekyll with bare knuckles in it and I've got to really work hard and tweak some setting to bring them out.

I love the guitar, but if new pickups and a thorough setup doesn't help, that guitar will be sold too.

As an experiment, if you've got pro

• tools or reaper, or whatever.

Find a profile where you like the tone harmonics

And experiment with different guitars.

Record if necessary to compare different guitars with the same profiles...

I'd better shut up..... I could make this post last an hour ??

If you want to compare notes... msg me.

Good luck.