clean rig totally in red zone

• I have a clean rig (clean trichorus 5) but with the lightest touch it explodes in red on the mixing desk. I unchecked every fx within the but no improvement, I set the gain on the mixing desk to zero and still the VU-meters are clipping. My main output is set to -12 dB. Input sense and distortion sense are set to 00.

I'm out of options. What do I miss here?

• I have a clean rig (clean trichorus 5) but with the lightest touch it explodes in red on the mixing desk. I unchecked every fx within the but no improvement, I set the gain on the mixing desk to zero and still the VU-meters are clipping. My main output is set to -12 dB. Input sense and distortion sense are set to 00.

I'm out of options. What do I miss here?

Since we don't know each other I don't know what your technical skill set is, so apologies if any of this is too obvious.

Desks typically have both the fader and an input / trim level. Your faders generally won't have any effect on the input signal, the input gain knob will. Turn that all the way counterclockwise, or as "down" as it'll go (zero is very often not "off" on a digital console). Then check the meters. Most likely you'll have no signal. Then you can start turning it up until you're at an acceptable level.

If that doesn't do the trick, let me know what brand / model your mixing desk is and I'll take a look at the signal path. Main output from the Kemper of -12 sounds reasonable so it's probably a matter of getting your input levels set.

Also, are you going straight from the main outs of the Kemper into your mixer, or are you first going into some kind of additional preamp, e.g. a Neve module or something like that? You'll need to check the input gain for each step you go through between the amp and the channel on your mixer.

In general, when debugging this kind of thing, the best solution is to turn all of them (except the amp) all the way off, verify you have no signal, and then work your way back up from there.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• Desks typically have both the fader and an input / trim level. Your faders generally won't have any effect on the input signal, the input gain knob will. Turn that all the way counterclockwise, or as "down" as it'll go (zero is very often not "off" on a digital console). Then check the meters. Most likely you'll have no signal. Then you can start turning it up until you're at an acceptable level.

If that doesn't do the trick, let me know what brand / model your mixing desk is and I'll take a look at the signal path. Main output from the Kemper of -12 sounds reasonable so it's probably a matter of getting your input levels set.

Hi Chris, Thanks. I checked all settings, as mentioned before. I'm using a A&H ZED fx 22-channel mixing desk.

When you play hard, Is it louder than your other Rigs? Assuming it is, you can turn down the Rig Volume, and Store the Rig.

Hi Paults, Thanks. Yes, I know but I always have left this volume setting to -12dB. So I guess, player louder has nothing to do with the fx and amp settings. But when I increase Master volume and decrease rig volume (without clipping result) what about louder playing then for more headroom?

• Is this rig louder than all the other patches you have? I don't have my Kemper to hand, but aren't there several volumes in a rig? Check the cab and amp section as well as the rig and output volume.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• It is unfortunately, fairly common for people to turn up the volume of their profiles to try and make them stand out on the basis that we generally perceive louder as better.

I would firstly check all the volumes in that particular rig. As karlic said there are multiple points where this could be set, amp block, cab block etc plus the actual Rig Volume. Make sure none of these are boosted significantly higher than other rigs.

Next check the Clean Sens parameter, this can be set globally or unlocked and set on a rig by rig basis. Not only this but it is independent between Broswer Mode and Performance Mode. If this particular rig has a significantly lower level of gain than other rigs it could be that clean sens is affecting the balance between this and other rigs.

• Hi Wherestedug, previously I checked all your components you mentioned evn clean sense but I will go for all of them again. I'll get back to you later again. Thanks and also to karlic.

• This is just the one profile? I know you use lots of other so I'm assuming they are all ok.

Did you get it from Rig Exchange? Perhaps someone else could load it and try...

I suspect its a duff profile based on the above??

• It looks like that rig has been removed from Rig Exchange. I can see 16 rigs from Mats Nermark but not that particular one. None of his other profiles seem excessively loud though. The clean ones do seem to clip just a little when playing really hard but nothing excessive. Some of the drive ones sound really nice. Either that profile had a problem and he removed it or there must be something else in the settings that we're missing.

• Both turn in to red. I've shut all fx sections, clean sense at 0.0, dist. sense at 0.0., amp vol. at 0.0. Gain on mixing desk at 0.0 (!) and still way up in orange zone. Monitor and Main outputs at -12 db. Now there's almost no volume left...(seems common problem) with master faders on mixing desk about -30 dB.

• Something is definitely wrong here.

If the input light is going red as well as the output then it should pretty much rule out the profile itself as being the problem.

Did you say that this only happens with one profile though? Are all the others working OK or are you having this problem all the time?

What is the signal chain going into the KPA. Is it just Guitar (what pickups) into Main Input using a standard TS cable or do you have any pedals or a wireless in front of the KPA? Are you using a guitar with active pickups and/or onboard pre-amp?

If there is nothing between the guitar and KPA I think it might be time to raise a ticket with Kemper support as it sounds like you could have a hardware issue.

• I use a Standard |Les Paul. No strange things: main input - standard TS - cry baby , no pre-amp. What kind of hardware issue are you thinking about? It happens more that have trouble with volume but it could be me or chosen rig.

Something is definitely wrong here.

If the input light is going red as well as the output then it should pretty much rule out the profile itself as being the problem.

Did you say that this only happens with one profile though? Are all the others working OK or are you having this problem all the time?

What is the signal chain going into the KPA. Is it just Guitar (what pickups) into Main Input using a standard TS cable or do you have any pedals or a wireless in front of the KPA? Are you using a guitar with active pickups and/or onboard pre-amp?

If there is nothing between the guitar and KPA I think it might be time to raise a ticket with Kemper support as it sounds like you could have a hardware issue.