Drive pedals with Kemper?

• I think we can all agree:

1) Some people use OD pedals in front of any amp, including many pro's, some people don't and get all the gain from the amp.

2) OD pedals add a different dimension..

3) The KPA can take OD pedals as should work in a similar way

4) Most people welcome an upgrade to the existing OD stomps in the KPA

• Truest post I've ever seen on the forum! :D

As a guy who doesn't use stomps for the same reason I got the kpa (...ease of use, really), I am looking forward to the OD update.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Well... the OD I use in front of Kemper is slightly more expensive.

Seems like overkill to me. With that pedal you just need the cab/IR and nothing more. And if you use more than one IR, does it mean IRS in plural? :D

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Seems like overkill to me. With that pedal you just need the cab/IR and nothing more. And if you use more than one IR, does it mean IRS in plural? :D

I think you do it like this "IRs" ^^

I have more options with that one, but Yes, you can send to a cab and be done.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Not an expert myself, but you can find a good explanation/comparison here:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by bca_100 ().

• Options. Pedals means options.

Not just drives, but delays reverbs, choruses, and the weird stuffs.

If all we did was stick with what was in the first multiFX we came across, we'd all be rocking a Boss ME pedal board as 'why would we need anything more - it has everything we could ever need.'

And NO ONE wants to live in that world !!1!1!

NB - I mean this in a humorous way - the Boss ME pedalboards were cool at the time, I kinda liked the tinny compressed sounds and mildly wonky reverb. And plastic footswitches are good for folks with bare feet

• If all we did was stick with what was in the first multiFX we came across, we'd all be rocking a Boss ME pedal board as 'why would we need anything more - it has everything we could ever need.'

I played most weekends at a club (dive) by a lake in the summer of 1990. Had the Boss ME-5 running into a Marshall 2x12 combo, got more compliments on the sound of that rig than any other I've owned.

Funny thing is, I think most people thought the tone was generated by the Marshall, but it was a 1970's oddball solid state amp, no juicy tube tones to be had. I think I just hit on a combination that worked really well together.

• HowardBrown perhaps there’s another reason it sounded good. We forget that our audience doesn’t really care if we’re using a rare 70’s Marshall, a modded AC30 or just a second rate solid state head. They’re usually listening to the musician. I suspect you played really well.

• I suspect you played really well.

Yes, no amount of gear can make me sound good. It is scientifically proven. I hear people with old trash acoustics and only doing hammer-ons that sound 1000x better than me.

Well one piece of gear always helped. My ancient Alesis Midiverb II. That thing is pure gold.

• David Gilmour among many comes to mind. His Hiwatt + pedals give him the sauce.

I think its what you are used to...back in the day Hi Gain amps were rare/didn't exist and so people used what they needed. He is now used to the that sound.

I am the same with any new set up - takes me a long time to get used to a "new" sound, even if its ultimately better. I moved from Laney GH100L to an ENGL Powerball based upon it being better. For the first few months, I didn't like it. Once I got used to it, I never understood why I liked the Laney. Ultimately I didn't actually sound any different becuase we all know its in the hands, but its how I felt about my sound.

We make subconscious micro adjustments based upon what we have - I think there is a lot of psychology around the sounds we like, such as pre-conceived ideas of how something will sound, our association to a brand (I hate Marshalls for example) etc.

So, just saying Dave Gilmour has an amazing sound and uses pedals does not equal therefore pedals are amazing.

His real sauce is in his hands..

• Yes that idea has been said for years, but if it were really true, if t's all in the hands we would all have cheap gear. I don't care much for the pre-Wish You Were Here solo tones, but maybe his fingers were developing, LOL. I do think it's a blend of gear and fingers.

I have evolved immensely in my understanding and taste of tones from playing live with Peavey amps and over 38 years of recording. Same thing with singing, and attempts at engineering, producing. Learning to listen in recording and in the mix is a different world from common guitar thinking. Example: Alex Lifeson gets upset at the producer because he wouldn't let him use the tones he liked. Then he admitted the producer was right...

I'm in that field, so hopefully I have an idea or two about the psychology of sounds, but we all have blind sides. I do lots and lots of research before acquiring gear because I loathe buyer's remorse. Yes, I still love the guitar sounds on Kiss' Destroyer but I'd attribute that to Bob Ezrin.

Bless Your Music Journey Sir.

• ...never understood why you buy a £2000 amp and put a £100 pedal in front...BUT that's just me, plenty of people who would disagree.

Original Klon users are safe then because that pedal is probably worth many times what their amp is. I ran a Marshall JCM800 2204 with a Super Overdrive in front of it for years. The ones that always puzzled me were the all tube signal path snobs who would then stick a solid state pedal in front of their hand wired tube all tube signal path amp negating the point.