Noise Gate - per Rig not using slot

• I appreciate this discussion! I wanted to challenge working habits a bit . With a new device like the PROFILER you sometimes need to challenge your established workflow in terms of: Are there even smarter ways to achieve my goals now?

When I used the term "real live" I wasn't referring to "live performance". I meant it in opposition to "theory". Is this a request needed to fulfill a practical application (at home, at rehearsal, in the studio, at a gig) or is it more: now that we have Transpose, we could perhaps add something else.

Personally, I'm not thrilled by the idea of adding more and more effects in an area, where access and visibility are lacking. Honestly, Transpose has been added based on user requests here in this forum. But Transpose is easy: Normally it sits at the beginning of the signal chain and gets noticed immediately, even if it is invisible. A stomp noise gate or a wah might vary their positions within the signal chain and might not be that obvious to hear.

If the root causes of this request are other items missing like high and low cuts in the cabinet module, then I think, it would be much more straight forward to add those two parameters instead of another invisible module.:-).

• Thank you for the input Burkhard . Although I don't always agree with your conclusions I do ALWAYS appreciate your engagement and explanations.

There are definitely, things about the Kemper workflow that are extremely counter intuitive to many players; whether coming from a traditional amp and pedal board or another digital solution. Often, when you explain the logic behind Kemper's decisions they make perfect sense and with a little tweaking of our own thought processes the results we want are easily achievable. If ckemper hadn't approached the challenge of creating truly amp like tones from a digital platform in a radically different way we wouldn't have the KPA in the first place so being different has real advantages. I do tend to agree with many of Ben's points (or at least how I interpret them - sorry if I'm mis quoting you Ben) particularly that Kemper's ability to approach problems with a totally blank sheet and open mind can yield impressive results but sometimes the market is just so deeply entrenched in it's mindset that, as a company, you might find it easier to go with the flow and not to fight it - give people what they want not what they need ^^ I get the feeling that you guys have a very strong belief in your product and your way of doing things so just going with the flow (if you see it as sub-optimal) isn't part of your DNA :D

For what it's worth. I share your views that a) I never need more than 8 FX slots, b) I don't think things like Wah should be in something other than a slot for the visibility reasons you mentioned. These are only my personal views and others may have differing views.

I do believe that high and low pass filters should be added to the cab module though.

• Great discussion! And thanks for clarifying Burkhard. I think the phrase we would use is "in real life", meaning not in theory. Your reasoning is much more clear now.

Leaving aside the points Wheresthedug and I noted about the market and fighting against the common mindset, I really do think that a few adjustments would go a LONG way.

First, if you added a few parameters in the CAB (high/low cut) and AMP (pre or post amp GEQ) that would immediately free 1 or 2 blocks in every single one of my Rigs.

Second, since most of us agree that 8 FX in a given rig are sufficient, perhaps the ability to choose where the amp is placed in the signal chain is possible. You could have 4/A/4 or 7/A/1 or 3/A/5 arrangements.

And last, back to the subject of this thread, I still think it's very worthwhile to have the noise gate settings per-Rig than global. I agree that we shouldn't be moving FX into non-visible areas, but the noise gate isn't typically an effect that you turn on or off during playing. It usually stays on/off based on the rig. There have been a number of times where I wanted it super aggressive in some rigs (e.g. djent), but generally want it more subtle.

• Thanks! I meant "real life":-)!

Two clarifications:

1. You find a soft button within the EQ of the stack section which allows to place the equalizer either pre or post the amplifier. And that is by Rig.

2. The Input Noise Gate is not global. Its setting gets stored in every Rig like Input Sens and Distortion Sens. It only becomes global if you lock the Input Section either in Browser Mode or in Performance Mode or in both.

• Burkhard thanks again for your input and clarification. I am aware that the noise gate can be locked or unlocked as part of the Input Setcion. I may not be typical of outher users but in my experience I generally leave the Input section locked as, once set, I rarely have anyneed to change Clean Sens or Distortion Sens. I try and leave the noise gate as low as possible at all times. My typical settngs are around 0.5 to 1. However, I may need to up this for a particularly high gain rig. I think it would be more logical to be able to control whether the noise gate is locked or not separately from the other input settings.

I might not be typical so it isn’t a deal breaker for me but it would be interesting to hear others thoughts on this as it should be pretty easy to change if there is a consensus among users.

• 1. You find a soft button within the EQ of the stack section which allows to place the equalizer either pre or post the amplifier. And that is by Rig.

Yes, but you often need subtle EQ tweaks after the AMP stack and a GEQ is perfect for that.

2. The Input Noise Gate is not global. Its setting gets stored in every Rig like Input Sens and Distortion Sens. It only becomes global if you lock the Input Section either in Browser Mode or in Performance Mode or in both.

So here's what's sad... I remember reading Kemper Support #1 's post #3 above over the weekend with the tip about unlocking it. But I don't remember exactly when I forgot that I had read that. ;(

Thank you for your patience!

• Burkhard thanks again for your input and clarification. I am aware that the noise gate can be locked or unlocked as part of the Input Setcion. I may not be typical of outher users but in my experience I generally leave the Input section locked as, once set, I rarely have anyneed to change Clean Sens or Distortion Sens. I try and leave the noise gate as low as possible at all times. My typical settngs are around 0.5 to 1. However, I may need to up this for a particularly high gain rig. I think it would be more logical to be able to control whether the noise gate is locked or not separately from the other input settings.

I might not be typical so it isn’t a deal breaker for me but it would be interesting to hear others thoughts on this as it should be pretty easy to change if there is a consensus among users.

We can consider that!

However, practically, if you have locked the Input Section for some time, your usual settings of Noise Gate, Clean Sens and Distortion Sens are baked into your Rigs. Whenever you store a Rig the locked values are included. So, you could now unlock the Input Section without practical effect and then adjust and store Noise Gate as needed in specific higain Rigs.