Direct Profile with FRFR - "Merge Cabinet" not shown

• Hey community,

I often like to be "sound-surprised" by changing cab sims.Recently I bought a nice Direct Profile (from SuckerFreeGear - Cameron Aldrich 1.05)

and want to use it with FRFR instead of a real cab (where it's necessary to push "Merge Cabinet" soft button).

To scroll through cabs saved on KPA everything works fine (doesn't matter if Presets or From Rigs).

If I want to try different cabs from a library via rig manager "Merge Cabinet" is not shown.

Here is how I did it :

1) load the DI-Profile that is saved on Kemper

2) lock stack section ( amp & eq only )

3) load a rig (cab) from rig manager that saved on pc or re = no "Merge Cabinet" soft button , sounds horrible.

If I load the same rig (cab) from pc or re again and save the cab on kemper = "Merge Cabinet" is shown , can be pushed and sounds good.

I'm a bit confused. I mean why my kemper insists that cabs must be saved on KPA itself to try it with a Direct Profile?:/

Perhaps that's the way it was meant to be - then I could live with... but it's so laborious.

If I understand or doing something wrong, please correct me and advices and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

• That’s not how you use Merge Cab.

The merge cab function is actually intended to subtract the cab from a Studio Profile. To use it you profile the same amp twice. Once as a Studio Profile with a mic on a real cab. Then profile again with a DI box to create a Direct profile. Finally you ”merge” the two and the Kemper subtracts the speaker by comparing the two profiles.

• That's a quick reply, thanks Wheresthedug and sorry - it is not very clear what kind of profile it is actually.The only information on seller page is that it is direct and they don't include a cab.

Now I'm pretty sure it is a Direct Amp Profile.That would also explain why the profile sounds outstanding while "Merge Cabinet" is on and

on the other hand absolutely unusable if "Merge Cabinet" is off.

independently of what it is or not - "Merge Cabinet" works fine in that case! The question is: why I am forced to store all the cabs on my KPA to see that soft button and is that the usual procedure to try out other cabs?

• No! You should only press Merge if you are profiling. To audition Cabs, just hold the Cab button for a couple of seconds to bring the Cab section into focus and then scroll with Browse. You might have to hit the Load soft button, if auto load isn’t activated. There’s also a soft button option to view Cabs from profiles, rather than ones you have stored.

Just to be clear, don’t press Merge;)

• Although "to push, or not to push" was not the question at all... it's nice of you to worry about and even if your intentions

are good your worries are unfounded. Now I know it's a Direct Amp Profile and :

" Direct Amp PROFILEs can be merged seamlessly with cabinets of Studio PROFILEs,

resulting in a single PROFILE that contains the sound of both." Called Merged Profile.

Usually you create both in one profilesession with same amp and settings... I know. You have to take that literally for this reason :

"...to yield as authentic a result as possible."

I don't care about authentic, more 'bout a good sound and the "right" Studio Profile doesn't exist.

So I take another one and hit "Merge Cabinet" again. Why? Because nothing explodes and the sound is awesome.:)

BTW: what you guys think will happen terrible? It's "Merge Cabinet" - not a self destruct button.

Thank you anyway a lot:thumbup:

• If it sounds good to you, then press away! :)

I was just trying to point out that it isn’t necessary for what you want to do, and under the bonnet, the KPA is making some calculations that will probably mean that that same cabinet won’t sound as good with other profiles if used, as the Kemper is trying to subtract the Direct Amp profile from the Studio profile to leave a separated Cab, but if the DA profile and the Studio profile aren’t of the same amp and settings, it will not be an accurate subtraction.

By the way, some profile sellers don’t know that there is a difference between a Direct profile (taken from the DI output of an amp) and a Direct Amp profile (taken with an attenuating DI box between the power amp output and the speaker, capturing the interaction).

• For what you are trying to do there is no need to merge profiles with the merge button. I think the Merge button is really poorly named but it is what it is.

You can creat a “merged” profile (in your example) simply by calling up a different cabinet and saving the combined amp and new cabinet as a rig. Job Done.

To come back to your initial question then, the reason there is no Merge button when you change cabs using Rig Manager is because Rig Manager isn’t part of the merging workflow. Also I “think” I am right in assuming that auditioning a rig from RM doesn’t load it into the Kemper Browes pool. It merely loads it temporarily into the current active rig. The merge process takes existng files from the browse pool and processes them. If they aren’t in the pool they can’t be merged.

I asked a similar question a few days ago about using selective browsing on the Kemper to only change the Stack section without changing the effects. Burkhard confirmed that you can’t do that with Rig Manager as it loads the entire rig not individual components.

• As the boys have said, there's no need to merge anything. Select a Cab you like the sound of with that Direct Profile and save it as a new Rig. Done.

Obviously, the same thing can be done with any Rig, be it based on a Studio, Direct or Direct Amp Profile. This is how things were intended to be done.