Ohms and Volume

• Afternoon all

I have been using a 4x12 Marshall with my Kemper to great effect but due to downsizing my car I need something smaller for rehearsal and gigs.

I own a DXR10 for vocals so purchased a second one for just the guitar signal and really missed the cab during rehearsal.

I am now looking at 2 x Orange 1x12 cabs (ppc112) for portability.

My question is this, the cab is rated 60watt @16ohms but for me to run two with the powered Kemper I would need to connect them serially (Kemper power amp out to Cab1- Output from Cab1 to Input Cab2). Would this now be at 8ohms with a power rating of 120 watts?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Mike

• You would have to connect them in parallel to end up with 8 Ohms total.

In series would be 32 Ohms. ;)

Regarding the total power rating: Yes, 120W total. The overall volume (sound pressure level) would increase by 3dB mathematically, in reality about 2.5dB.

Hope that helps, cheers

Martin

• I'm currently running my powered head in the studio whilst shopping for a new band.

I have a Marshall 4x12 and that's what I first plugged into purely by reflex, but I've since moved the head to the control room and listen through the studio monitors to get the full range experience of what the KPA delivers. When I get back to gigging, my hope is to run with IEMs and KPA outs to FOH.

That said, if I end up with a speaker on stage, I would be interested in looking at FRFR (which I've never played through) since the cab / speaker sound is already part of what I hear from the profile. I wouldn't want to layer yet another cab on top of the sound since it would mask what the profile was already doing.

Out of curiosity, are you going with guitar range speakers for a particular effect? Seems like your situation would be a perfect candidate for FRFR, but I've had the KPA less than a month and am still learning a lot about how people use them.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Hi Chris

I do it slightly different.

I purchase DI profiles of an amp, the one I use is the Zakk Wylde Marshall. I then use that DI profile with my Marshall 4x12 with GT-75s in via the power amp out. I then twin the DI profile with a profiled Marshall 4x12 with GT-75s seperated from the same providers Studio profile so when recording or sending a signal to FOH there is continuity in sound; also helps when tweaking.

The reason I do this is when sharing gear with another band I can have the FOH push the signal to the monitors so I don't have to use someone elses cab.

The other reason I do it this way is FRFR doesn't sound "inspiring" to me when the rest of the band are playing. I also miss the air and the power in the room. IEMs are great if the whole band use them but no one wanted to in our band so when I had them on it was extremely disconnecting from the band. I also lost a bit of my mojo a bit when playing.

Loads of ways to get what you want from the Kemper. I don't change amps much when recording and stick to only 3, Zakk Wyled, AFD100 and the Demester and all sound good this way.

Mike

• I literally HATE 412 cabinets on stage. Bloody aweful things for screwing up on stage sound and interfering with the FOH balance. And I definitely couldn’t be arsed lugging one about.

However , i recognise that is just my personal opinion. The great thing about the Kemper (particularly the powered version) is how totally flexible it is. Want to drave a 412 cab? No problem. Want to use an FRFR? No Problem. No speakers on stage only IEM? No problem :)

I cant think of anything else that give us so many options to work the way we choose.

• Dug

Totally agree and the reason I never take it to a gig unless I absolutely have too. In rehearsal though I like the power and the air.

True about the Kemper, rediculas how many options you have. Want to run a guitar cab with IEMs and some monitors just in case the amp can't be heard the IEMs fail or become tiring or the monitors are not good enough, why not.

It's the best piece of kit I have ever purchased. At gigs I find the FOH guy takes ages to get the guitars right, I plug on my Kemper, play a few riffs and I'm done.

Mike

• Hey, Mike.

Hadn't anticipated that you're using DI profiles, so all that makes perfect sense. And I heartily agree with everyone's comments about options, I really love this thing.

I've not plugged into an FRFR, so I have no notion of how they sound. And that's not likely to happen soon as I currently have a Les Paul shaped hole in my credit card. With the holidays it'll probably be January before I find a new band anyway, so it's not like that's high on the list. Be interested in hearing your assessment of the Orange cabs if that's the way you end up going.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10