Double tracking guitar / comb filtering

• If it's a mono signal distributed across the KPA's stereo outs, the two halves will be phase-coherent.

If you sum them in a DAW, there'll be an increase in level, but that's about it, so in such cases one might as well record only one of the stereo-out halves (L or R).

This is true. But if you have any type of stereo effect on, like rev or mod, it would be a different story.

• ... which is why I said "mono signal".

I was responding to the previous post. ColdFrixion said:

"In my tests, I can't hear any noticeable difference with respect to phase when double tracking guitars in mono or stereo, hard panned or otherwise."

This suggests that the stereo signal was in fact mono, albeit distributed across two outputs.

• I've summed two actual stereo signals that were double tracked to mono and the result sounds the same as when summing two mono signals that are double tracked, at least to my ears. No difference. Yes, there's a difference when listening to both in stereo, but not a phasing issue, nor when summing both to mono.

• I track in stereo most of the time. I like the flexibility and pretty much every rig I use is in stereo and sounds much better for it, even if it's only because of a tiny touch of verb. Also I'm not sure what the pan law is in the Kemper but it's not always the same as the DAW's I use, which means that once tracked in mono you can lose some level.

If you're not sure what's going on in your rig then the best way for you to decide what works best is to simply do a short test track of both and see if there's a difference, see what you prefer. Tracking is such a quick and easy thing to do with a Kemper or any sim that there's no excuse not to simply experiment till you find something that works.

• I've summed two actual stereo signals that were double tracked to mono and the result sounds the same as when summing two mono signals that are double tracked, at least to my ears. No difference. Yes, there's a difference when listening to both in stereo, but not a phasing issue, nor when summing both to mono.

To me this is strange, '80sBro'.

I mean, the odds of a stereo signal's summing to mono without cancellation are next-to-zero. The only way this can happen is if, as I said earlier, each side of the signal is identical, meaning phase-coherent with the other, and any stereo-modulation effect, including 'verb (if stereo), is gonna change that.

The only exception I can think of might be a widening effect such as the Kemper's one or the recently-released Infected Mushroom's Wider, both of which are at pains to precisely carve out "inverted" EQ'd versions of the L and R channels to facilitate zero-loss summing, thereby guaranteeing level-and-tone integrity on mono-playback systems..

• To me this is strange, '80sBro'.

I mean, the odds of a stereo signal's summing to mono without cancellation are next-to-zero. The only way this can happen is if, as I said earlier, each side of the signal is identical, meaning phase-coherent with the other, and any stereo-modulation effect, including 'verb (if stereo), is gonna change that.

Cancellation occurs when using the same recording for both tracks, panned to center and with the phase inverted on one. In this case, they didn't null because the right and left stereo tracks were played twice, and they were also panned off center.

• Ahh... I misunderstood you, brother. Thanks man.

You said, "... summed two actual stereo signals that were double tracked to mono and the result sounds the same as when summing two mono signals that are double tracked...", as I quoted.

I thought something must've been amiss 'cause I know that you already know this stuff.

• Ahh... I misunderstood you, brother. Thanks man.

You said, "... summed two actual stereo signals that were double tracked to mono and the result sounds the same as when summing two mono signals that are double tracked...", as I quoted.

I thought something must've been amiss 'cause I know that you already know this stuff.

In this instance the right and left mono tracks were played twice as well, though even if the mono signals were identical and panned to center or had equal panning, the phase would need to be inverted on one of them in order for them to null when summed.

• In this instance the right and left mono tracks were played twice as well, though even if the mono signals were identical and panned to center or had equal panning, the phase would need to be inverted on one of them in order for them to null when summed.

If you're talking about nulling, that's a different beast - that's cancellation of 100% phase coherent signals but with one having reversed polarity.

• If you're talking about nulling, that's a different beast - that's cancellation of 100% phase coherent signals but with one having reversed polarity.

I assumed he was talking about nulling because simply summing to mono in and of itself didn't present any notable phase issues in either of the double tracked mixes I recorded using mono vs. stereo tracks.

• I assumed he was talking about nulling because simply summing to mono in and of itself didn't present any notable phase issues in either of the double tracked mixes I recorded using mono vs. stereo tracks.

It won't NECESSARILY introduce notable phase issues - however, the nature of the beast with stereo is that there ARE phase differences between the two channels. Otherwise it's a mono signal. Whether these differences are enough to be noticeable when summed to mono (or, indeed, when playing back in stereo) depends on the material.

• I can't relate with the whole always mono sentiment. If you're tracking a mono signal, yes, it makes sense to record it in mono. Otherwise, there are no hard and fast rules.

I'm playing around with both. If there are multiple guitar parts or additional instruments, mono is easy to work with. However, some stuff I'm doing is old school three piece with just guitar, bass and drums. In that context I'm liking the sound of stereo straight up the middle.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• some stuff I'm doing is old school three piece with just guitar, bass and drums. In that context I'm liking the sound of stereo straight up the middle.

And cases where a guitar track has KPA added stereo time-based effects pretty much requires a stereo channel for accurate reproduction.