Exception handling (Windows)

• Apologies if this has already been mentioned, couldn't find any reference in the first few pages of threads.

In a Windows 7 (likely all versions of Windows) environment, if the KPA is powered off before shutting down Rig Manager, the software throws an unhandled exception, which naturally invokes the Windows crash dialog. Obviously if the user has the common sense to shut things down in order everything's fine, but it's easy to forget and power off the KPA without thinking.

While things have come a long way since the wild west of memory overwrites in a C / DOS app trashing the operating system, applications flaming out are still a risk to the environment, as anyone who's had to stop and reboot because their DAW freaked out will know.

I would respectfully suggest adding a global exception handler so that it's caught and handled gracefully, whether you put Rig Manager into a read only / disconnected state, terminate it in a controlled manner from within, etc.

Hope this is helpful.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• I run windows, and have never seen this issue. If I turn off the Kemper first, it sees that the Kemper has been disconnected without any exceptions. It handles the scenario flawlessly.

Interesting. When you say that it sees that the Kemper has been disconnected, what does it do, i.e. does it give any visual feedback that the Kemper is no longer connected, or does it just look the same without crashing?

Also, what version of Windows and Rig Manager are you running?

• I'm running Win 7 x64, with all of the current updates, running the most current RM and the Spring Reverb beta FW - turning the KPA on or off, with RM connected, has never caused me an issue.

If you're running the latest RM, beta or not, you shouldn't be having a driver/memory issue (unhandled exception).

Try uninstalling RM, then go into Device Manager and uninstall the KPA driver. Then reinstall the latest RM, it comes with an updated Windows driver.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• I'm running Win 7 x64, with all of the current updates, running the most current RM and the Spring Reverb beta FW - turning the KPA on or off, with RM connected, has never caused me an issue.

If you're running the latest RM, beta or not, you shouldn't be having a driver/memory issue (unhandled exception).

Try uninstalling RM, then go into Device Manager and uninstall the KPA driver. Then reinstall the latest RM, it comes with an updated Windows driver.

Windows 7 / 64 here as well.

I downloaded latest and greatest Rig Manager a couple of weeks ago when I bought the toaster but perhaps there have been updates I missed. I'll try the steps you suggested and will also verify that the KPA is the latest non-beta version.

Will report back with my findings, thanks!

• Win10 64bit. Latest non-beta version on my Kemper, and RM.

I hear the alert sound (from windows) that tells me the Kemper has been disconnected. RM simply removes it from the list.

Yep, sounds pretty normal. Must be something about my specific environment, so a hunting I will go. Steps mentioned by @JSB may sort it out.

• I verified the unit & software against the latest non-beta releases on the website and both the Kemper OS and Rig Manager versions are the latest and greatest, which isn't terribly surprising since I just got the unit two weeks ago.

Below is the crash info but I believe this to be cockpit error. A bit of spelunking on ucrtbase.dll points to the VC++ redistributable (Visual Studio's private label implementation of Dll Hell). I keep Windows automatic updates disabled, so I have no doubt that there's a newer version of ucrtbase floating around in an update somewhere that will eliminate the crash.

This isn't a work stoppage issue and as long as I shut down in the proper order it doesn't even happen, so I'll hunt down the update and install it whenever I have time for yet another episode of Fun with Microsoft.

If any of the Kemper devs happen to know which particular KB would point to the appropriate update for Windows 7 64 bit and could pass it along it would be appreciated. If not, I'll do the Google thing when the time comes.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Rig Manager.exe

Application Version: 2.1.41.13351

Application Timestamp: 5af2de71

Fault Module Name: ucrtbase.DLL

Fault Module Version: 10.0.10586.9

Fault Module Timestamp: 5642c48d

Exception Code: 40000015

Exception Offset: 000000000006990f

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 48b9

Additional Information 2: 48b95bd41e93fc28d9e144e3c15b22a7

Additional Information 3: 5899

Additional Information 4: 58990969e5b74fa325416c87a028584

• I am having the same issue. Just to let you guys know.

Rig Manager.exe

5bbf0c33

ucrtbase.dll

e71e5dfe

c0000409

000000000006b79e

42fc

01d4996f7a89ded7

C:\Program Files\Kemper Amps\Rig Manager\Rig Manager.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll

3f679536-761b-4360-a7cc-84438ded6235

kemper_error.zip

Attached please find the error event. Hope that there will be some one who takes this into account seriously

• Below is the crash info but I believe this to be cockpit error. A bit of spelunking on ucrtbase.dll points to the VC++ redistributable (Visual Studio's private label implementation of Dll Hell). I keep Windows automatic updates disabled, so I have no doubt that there's a newer version of ucrtbase floating around in an update somewhere that will eliminate the crash.

I wanted to update this thread with what I hope will be useful info for others, and a resolution for any Windows users who were having the same problem.

I finally had a chance to run Windows Update and get all the latest patches installed. Windows 7 installation is now up to date.

After the appropriate number of reboots, and sacrificing one goat and a couple of chickens just to be on the safe side, I started the Kemper, let it finish booting, and then started Rig Manager. I then shut off the Kemper with Rig Manager still running, and I no longer get the exception. I closed Rig Manager normally, and it shut down without a fuss.

While you can never rule out the benefits of a good sacrifice, I believe this validates my previous conclusion that the crash is being caused by an out of date ucrtbase.dll.

@brianllun, you also have this dll listed in your crash dump, so I believe if you get Windows updated it will resolve your problem as well.

Hope this helps!