MOTU Digital Performer – the Guitarist’s DAW?

• The one-and-only Craig Anderton wrote this article for Sweetwater with guitarists in mind, so I figured I'd share, being the MOTU maniac I am.

It would have been nice if he'd added that DP's "old-school", "traditional / linear-transport" heritage might prove less-confusing to many guitarists, especially relics like myself.

Also, he should've mentioned Polar™, IMHO, which is DP's powerful built-in looper. Great sketch pad, for instance.

Nevertheless, here's his article. It has sound clips too:

MOTU Digital Performer – the Guitarist's DAW?

• Thanks for the link.

As much as I like DP, I never cared about their amp sims and pedals - or any other software amps (Logic, Guitar Rig) either. Not even in the ballpark when compared to the Kemper. The amp and pedal sims are useful for all kinds of things, except guitar, IMHO. :)

• Agreed, mate; nothing touches the Kemper IMHO too.

That said, many of MOTU's stomps are superb. The Boss chorus is so good some have used it on backup vocals and for other chorusing duties. I intend to as well.

The "guitar synth" plugins are interesting, and Craig Anderton's Quadrafuzz emulation is, in his own words, spot-on. That's actually nothing to be sneezed at; I've read many glowing reports of its utility for various instruments in the years since its introduction. A versatile all-'round distortion effect.

• I tried. I really really really tried to like DP. A good friend who I respect and admire very much used it, and when we played together we used it for tracks. I never got the hang of it. I kept going back to PT.

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.