Kemper making me lazy

• When it comes to recordings though, I think you will find that often, the sound you hear when you are just jamming is not the sound you hear recorded in your DAW.

I very much agree. This is why a lot of my auditioning of tones is done in the context of a song playing back, and it works in the opposite direction as well. I'll pick a profile that sits perfectly in a track and then later play it on its own and think, "Really?"

I also think this may be why some commercial vendors have their profiles absolutely drowning in reverb. When you click a profile and just jam out you think "Wow, what an awesome sound!" and buy more. However, drop it in a mix and it sounds like its underwater. That's not a big deal of course since, as you point out, you can dial down the reverb or tweak anything else you like.

I'm really enjoying the fact that I don't have to do endless hours of menu diving just to get a serviceable tone in the first place. If I do happen to tweak a profile, it's more along the lines of taking an absolutely killer tone and polishing the chrome a bit. That's what's going to happen in the mix anyway, so it's not an alien concept and is something even I can wrap my brain around.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10