Profiling and room acoustics

• How important are room acoustics when making studio profiles? 14

1. Room acoustics are very important (4) 29%
    2. Room acoustics are somewhat important (4) 29%
    3. Room acoustics really don't make any difference (6) 43%

What do you think, how important are room acoustics when making studio profiles?

Do you think that you need an acoustically treated room to make good profiles?

Do you think that some simple acoustic treatments will suffice?

Do you think that it doesn't matter at all?

I'm also curious how you came to your conclusion. Is it an assumption, it is based on technical data, have you done some testing to reach your conclusion?

• I voted "somewhat important", based on what my brain (not experience) tells me.

If you have a fat node at 100 Hz right where your mic is I'm pretty sure that will be baked into the profile. Maybe it will be included as part of the general character of the amp - maybe it will mess with it in some other way.

As far as acoustics in terms of "reverb-y reflections", though, they shouldn't matter.

• I voted that they're very important, but with a caveat - The Kemper only grabs the frequency response from the mic, it doesn't include the room's reverb. This means what you get is a certain amount of the room's own frequency response in any profile (dependent on how far the mic is from the speaker) and the frequency response alone is not enough to represent the room. i.e. the Kemper just gives you a dry sound.

So for amp sounds then definitely room sound is important but with the Kemper as it stands right now the quality of the room is almost completely lost in any profile. If the Kemper were to profile the room itself in some way for a separate good quality reverb (i.e. at least as good as the standard IR based cab verbs out there that are convolution based, and ideally better as a lot of convolution verbs have a synthetically smooth linear sound) as a part of the rig then it'd be incredibly important.

• I voted 'somewhat' because there are two types of profile methods which I use.

One uses only a close mic on the cab. This obviously makes the room virtually irrelevant.

The other uses a combination of close mic and an ambience mic mixed to mono. Depending on the level of the ambience mic, the room can become very relevant.

• What I noticed though with the amps cranked loud, is that when A/B the profile, there is a difference when comparing , you hear the room from the source and it makes the profile sound a bit different

• I think it absolutely is important. Exactly how important, depends on the room.

If you're telling me the mic positioning is not affected by room geometry, then monitor positioning and the position of your head when you mix also would not be affected by studio acoustics. But nobody here believes that.

And before you talk about room reflections (i.e. reverb) having an affect on monitor positioning, but not a closely mic'd cabinet, (a) exactly how is the mic different from your ears; and (b) pressure buildup is what we perceive as modal problems in almost every room... and this pressure buildup doesn't go away just because the mic is close to its source. It all depends on where that mic is in relation to those nodal centers.

That said, it wouldn't affect the KPA as far as the core tone (e.g. distortion characteristics, transient response, etc.), largely just the overall EQ.

Just my opinion of course ;) Change my mind.

• Microphone pattern (omni, 8, cardioid, hyper cardioid) and distance will affect how much influence the room has.

Decibel output of the amp in relation to the distance also greatly impacts what the microphone will receive regarding room.

A Marshall on 10 will overpower sound coming from the room if it is close mic'ed, but in a small room the reflections are quick and powerful.

As previously stated, ambient mic'ing picks up more of the room, but the profiling homogenizes the sound.

Profiles are 2 dimensional until they are played through a speaker, as an amplifier is until it hits the speaker.

The room makes the third dimension.

At least those are my opinions.