Is the KPA Strobe Tuner accurate?

• I hadn't tried the built-in strobe tuner in the KPA in a long time, it used to seem to never come to a rest, so I've been using the bubble tuner these last few years.

I decided to test the KPA strobe against the most well known name in strobe tuning, Peterson (StroboPlusHD).

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If you can't watch the video for some reason, the KPA strobe is every bit as accurate as the Peterson. Well done Team Kemper!

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• I decided to test the KPA strobe against the most well known name in strobe tuning, Peterson (StroboPlusHD).

Great video!

What's the benefit of a strobe tuner versus simpler creatures, like a good Boss tuner?

I have memories of strobe tuners when I was a kid playing trumpet in band, and they always struck me as having an excessive amount of visual noise to wade through. And yet, many people are willing to pay a premium for one, so I was wondering why. I'm sure they must bring something extra to the party, I just don't know what that is.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I too was wondering what the draw was with the strobe tuner, I could never figure it out for some reason (there was also a firmware flaw a while ago). It wasn't until I tried the Peterson, that was 100% accurate, that I understood how it worked.

If the grid is spinning to the left, you are flat, if the grid spins to the right, you are sharp. The ideal, or in tune visualization, is when the grid is stopped, not moving right or left. This makes it easier to see, from any distance, once you realize how simple it really is. New strings really make it hold tight.

I'd used a bubble tuner for 20+ years, I'm glad to say I won't be going back to it. It made me have a tendency to tune sharp and second guess myself. Loving the rock solid feel of the strobe now.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• In the old days strobe tuners were more acurate because of how they worked. They were supposed to be much better at holding the pitch over time rather than just getting it right on the initial transient apparently. I’ve read that’s stil the case but I’m not sure I buy into that in the digital world. I think digital strobes are just a different representation of the data rather than a fundamentally different way of measuring.

This review of the Peterson has a nice little explanation of what I was trying to say.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/peterson-vs1

Having said that, I recently switched to strobe after having used old Boss TU-12 with the VU style needle, TU3, Korg DT1 rack tuner and finally Kemper bubble tuner. It took a bit of getting used to but I think I prefer it now.