How to use in-ear monitors during live performance?

• I looked around and couldn't find an answer. It's probably something easy but I am a Kemper rookie. For live use, if I run left and right main XLR to front of house, where do I connect so that I can use a monitor system, in-ear or monitor cab?? Thank you!

Rik

Kemper toaster >Kemper remote> 2 x Alto TS310 powered speakers Furman M-8XAR

• If you're using IEMs, especially those with good isolation like custom molds (e.g. Ultimate Ears, et al), then you'll want to get a monitor mix from FOH that includes your guitar and all the other instruments. If you come straight out of the Kemper all you'll hear is you, and you won't be able to adequately hear the other players unless you do the "one ear in, one ear out" thing.

If you're showing up at a gig and they provide the mixer and sound man, you'll need to talk to them about the monitor mixes they provide. They may offer a custom mix for each person, or one global mix that's a compromise and everyone just has to live with it. Usually each person needs a "more me" mix where you have a good balance of all other players and your own instrument boosted a bit above that so you can hear what you're playing.

If you own the mixer, if you'll tell me the make and model I can offer more specifics tailored to your situation.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Another option which some people use is to have the FOH sound guy send you a band mix with no guitar. You can send this into the Aux In on the KPA and then control the balance of your guitar relative to the general band mix. Totally independent personal mixes for everyone straight from FOH is the ideal solution if you can get it though.

• Also, depending on the mixer in use, you may have mobile options.

I have a Yamaha TF5, and there's a mobile app for iPhone & Android called MonitorMix. You point to the mixer, pick the bus you're supposed to connect to for your personal mix, and you're presented with faders & groups so that you can tweak your own IEM or monitor mix without having to depend on the sound guy.

This requires a wireless router hooked to the mixer but is a very user friendly way of letting people have just what they want. For example, if you also sing, you'll care about not just the guitar but also your vocal level. I would imagine this kind of feature is becoming progressively more common.

• We also use the Yamaha CL Series mixer with Avioms and MonitorMix on the iPads. The Avioms' 16 channels are set up with various direct channels and various mixes + Mains. That way, some people can monitor just the mains, or mains + add more of themselves (e.g. singers, certain instruments), or we let them have their own mix via their iPad which they monitor via that one channel of the Aviom.

• I use the method of having the full band minus guitar go into the aux input of the Kemper. Then I plug my IEMs into the headphone jack of the Kemper and blend the aux in with the guitar from the Kemper. That way you get a nice stereo and direct signal of your guitar tone, no worries of the monitor path from FOH coloring/changing your sound in your ears. The internal mixer in the Kemper is a hidden jem that's often overlooked.

• Of course! I need to have a feed from the FOH in order to hear myself and the rest of the band! Duh! Got it guys. Chris Duncan, yes, thanks. This place does offer custom mixes for each member so it should be easy. Thanks to all of you for the help, I really appreciate it!

Rik

Kemper toaster >Kemper remote> 2 x Alto TS310 powered speakers Furman M-8XAR

• Of course! I need to have a feed from the FOH in order to hear myself and the rest of the band! Duh! Got it guys. Chris Duncan, yes, thanks. This place does offer custom mixes for each member so it should be easy. Thanks to all of you for the help, I really appreciate it!

I find it so easy to get lost in enjoying the KPA that sometimes I forget there are other components to the world. :)