Would love to be able to get *good* Feedback live

• I use my Kemper in concert settings and I miss the ability to get feedback like I was able to do with my Mesa Boogie amp. Isn't there some way to do this? I know there is the Freqout pedal but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I know there are many users who would appreciate a feedback feature.

Sean

• If you are using in ear monitors you are out of luck.

If you’re using a floor monitor then it will need to be loud enough. You can set a volume pedal to control only the monitor volume and then you can turn up the monitor for feedback.

I get good feedback from my DXR10.

• Think outside the box guys.

Feedback is just a loop where the sound is continuously fed throught the system. There are two distinct types of feedback. One is electrical (microphonic) which we generally consider undesirable. The other is physical (the volume actually vibrates the guitar body and/or strings to keep the note sustaining) which can be truly magical.

As it is simply a case of signal being looped in with the direct signal it should be possible in the digital domain to recreate this effect fairly accurately if you know how to write the code. I don’t how to do it but I know a bunch of rocket scientists in Germany that actually figured out a way to capture the real sound and feel of amps and store them in a little green box so I think this would be child’s play for guys like that :P

Imagine being able to control the onset of feedback with the ducking control or with an expression pedal. Imagine being able to control which harmonics get to feedback with an expression pedal. In fact what about using an expression pedal to controll the onset of feedback and ducking or some special new parameter that controls the transition between feeding back the fundamental and morphing i to an octave up 8)

• I'm using in ear monitors, but get some guitar in a wedge for this purpose. Get it at the right level and this is the perfect solution. Having a little sound on stage is good for the front rows of audience too.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I wasn't impressed by the Freqout pedal to be honest. The feedback is so "fake sounding" and often, especially on high gain settings, you get a lot of digital "artifacts" messing up the sound. Also, after around 8 seconds, the feedback just stops. Not a gentle fade but an instant cut off. Mine's going on eBay.

• I know, that some people have connected a small amp e. g. a Micro Marshall just for this purpose. This is sufficient to produce feedback but not bleeding too much into the FOH sound.

You could control its volume via

analog volume pedal

or

an expression pedal with Monitor Output Volume assigned

or

MIDI CC#73.

• While I would prefer to always run mains to FOH, one of the reasons I got a powered head was to have a small 12 cab behind me so that the guitar would have something to interact with. Also, rock and roll is a physical experience, so even though I like IEMs, I need to feel the thump of moving air.

Doesn't have to be terribly loud, just enough to provide those effects (which include feedback). Back in the day, when we used 100 watt amps in small bars, we used to face them to the wall so we could turn up and get the sound, thump and feedback without destroying the mix (or the poor souls in the front row).

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I wasn't impressed by the Freqout pedal to be honest. The feedback is so "fake sounding" and often, especially on high gain settings, you get a lot of digital "artifacts" messing up the sound. Also, after around 8 seconds, the feedback just stops. Not a gentle fade but an instant cut off. Mine's going on eBay.

It’s a shame as I was looking to buy one of these mainly due to Ford Thurston using it in his sound see 1:03 and 1:51 to 2:15. He doesn’t show the feedback stopping unfortunately so

I may have to have a re think...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The Freqout is great but as soon as the volume drops too low from your guitar it can’t produce more noise, that’s to be expected as you’re meant to be able to bend notes and mute and all the rest and without that it’ll just not happen, add a series tape delay in your Kemper to help soften the cutoff or even extend forever with some deft pedal work if it’s a problem for you. I haven’t found digital artifacts with mine, but it does sound more like a Fernandez or Sustaniac than real feedback. The other thing is that there’s no single setting on it. It has two modes of operation, momentary for single note effects and then standard stomp on/off. The settings that are good for one are not good for the other. In stomp mode you need to set a longer delay and lower mix, the mix is critical because it’s not just wet/dry, but more like feedback on a delay and affects now the notes evolve over time, too high and it just sounds like an ebow.

• I was playing last night through a 4x12 with a fairly gainy Friedman profile, and average volume was around 105db. Powered head, monitor cab off.

When I kick in a treble booster, etc. there's no problem getting feedback. However, just the Friedman alone seemed like it really didn't want to feedback, even when I put the guitar pickups right up against the cabinet. With a Marshall JCM900 at the same volume level, there was more interaction.

I'm still learning about the whole profiling thing. I would have thought that feedback is feedback. Crank a high gain amp, shove the pickup into the speaker, and you're going to create a feedback loop. And yet, this feels different (and the M Britt Friedman is outstanding). Is there some sort of principal at play here, perhaps software interaction that inhibits feedback?

I don't do a lot of Ted Nugent screaming feedback stuff, I'd just like to understand the nature of the beast.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

Edited 2 times, last by Chris Duncan ().

• If you have a monitor moving enough air, you should be able to get feedback just fine. I can attest that my Les Paul playing a Michael Britt JCM800 Silver Jubilee profile through a Mission Engineering Gemini II FRFR produces feedback at rock band volume about as well as my real JCM800 half stack.

• Real guitar feedback needs speakers, volume and proximity.. but if the old school earplug way isnt your bag (it is the Kemper forum afterall!) then imo,

- The current Kemper FW has nothing on board that can simulate feedback. This makes me very sad.

- Convinving speakerless feedback can be done with the Digitech Freqout. Just dont expect it to be fawless all the time. It does add a very cool live feel if set subtly and tastefully -but- is still no substitute if you're a 10 second intro feedback kinda guy. When your natural string sustain dies, the feedback effect gets very confused and the illusion is wrecked. That's the trade off. For me though, the Freqout is amazing for adding spice to IEM live solos and more intense sections.

Atm it's the best we have unless you want to stand infront a speaker and blast yourself with... yourself. .

• I can only recommend to follow Burkhard's suggestion (or e.g. an Orange Crush mini). You'll be surprised how well it works if you attach it to your mic stand so you can easily get close enough.

3 watt RMS is quite something in case of the Orange Crush mini and it's 100% natural feedback. Use a volume pedsl in front so you can easily activate and deactivate this little beast whenever you want. ;)