Just got the Kemper - a few 'noob' questions!

• Hey all!

Recently posted a question in the private forum about profiles. However, this question is more just me trying to understand a few things a bit better!

Here we go. Apologies - these may sound really dumb!

- 1) What delay do you use mostly? It seems most profiles I download has 'legacy delay'. What is it - just a standard analogue delay or?

- 2) I was looking at some sites where you can buy profiles, and on some you can buy what looks like stompboxes. I didn't know you buy effects? I thought they were all built in. (Eg : https://www.rigbusters.com/products/guitar/pedals/packs/)

- 3) I have a Ditto loop pedal. If I connected this via the FX loop - is that all I have to do, or do I need to set anything up in the menus?

- 4) Lastly, and I realise this isn't in the same vein at my other questions, but what headphones do you use with your Kemper?

Thanks all!^^

• Hey BavidDrent ! Welcome to the Kemper community. As far as delay, for me I normally use any of the "Single Delay" settings like tape/analog. I assume the website link allows you to download amps that have been profiled with that specific pedal, since to my knowledge, you cannot "download" more stompboxes with the Kemper.

Unfortunately I don't know your looper pedal question, so hopefully someone else can answer that. I currently use my in ears for playing through the Kemper. Some Audio Technica ATH-M50's, I think are pretty decent. Some Shure 215's will get the job done. For the most part I play through my Gemini Cab.

Hope that helps!

Zach

• - 3) I have a Ditto loop pedal. If I connected this via the FX loop - is that all I have to do, or do I need to set anything up in the menus?

- 4) Lastly, and I realise this isn't in the same vein at my other questions, but what headphones do you use with your Kemper?

Thanks all!^^

Is your name a reference to The Office? Both of those series were great.

For the looper, you can use it inline in your input to the KPA, or use the KPA effects loop - for the most true by-pass. If your looper is noisy. it would sound better in the KPA effects loop, as you can shut it off totally with the/a Remote, if you have one. For ease of use, inline in the input.

To use the KPA effects loop, choose a stomp slot A-D, select LOOP mono or stereo, clean or distorted, then use the effects i/o in the back of the KPA.

I use Beyerdynamics DT 770 80 ohms. The lower ohm rating is to match my interface. If you already have an Audio Interface, check to see what the ohm rating is on the headphone output. If you are buying headphones just for the KPA, the higher ohm rated ones should sound better.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• 1 - I wasn't around in Kemper-land when all this happened but this is my understanding. Someone else who was around then might provide a more accurate answer though. . Until OS 5 I there only was a single delay (might have been some more but it was definitely limited). OS 5 included a massive upgrade to the delays. Any profiles that were made prior to OS 5 couldn't make use of the newer delays because they didn't exist when the profiles were made. Unlike some other companies Kemper have a policy of always being backward compatible. Therefore, they moved the old delays into a delay type called Legacy Delay to make sure that anybody who had already programmed any delay settings could still use them without changing anything. Some profilers may still use Legacy Delay in their packs just to make sure their packs are compatible with every Kemper even if the user hasn't ever updated the OS.

2 - You can't buy profiles of pedals and load them in to the Stomp or FX slots. Some people sell profiles which were made with pedals in the chain. Some have profiled the pedals only but you would need to load these into the Stack section INSTEAD of an amp so they would be of limited use. Some people have created presets for the existing stomps that are intended to sound like a particular pedal but they are just preset settings for existing stomps.

3 - The Ditto can go in the front if you want. In this case it will always be running through the same amp and FX as you are playing over the top of it. That might be what you want but it seems pretty limited to me. Therefore, I would put the Ditto in the Kemper loop. In this case you can postion the Looper anywhere in the chain you choose. You could have it in stomp A o get effectively the same result as having it in front of the KPA input. Or you could have it in say Slot DLY in which case you would capture the sound of the Rig for the first pass (say clean fender sound with chorus) then you could change the rig (assuming you Lock the DLY slot) to a new sound (say a sustaining Mesa lead sound) with Wah and a delay (positioned in any of the earlier slots) and these effects would only be applied to the solo you are playing over the loop(s).

4 - Headphones are very much personal taste. I have ATM50X and really like them. I also have Shure SE425 which are fantastic in their own way. They definitely aren't flat as the lack a lot on the bass which isn't ideal if you are playing over backing tracks through the AUX In) but they are super detailed in the mids where guitars sit which makes auditioning sounds really easy.