Pure Cab and Space settings

• As I am getting to know my KPA UNPWR rack, I have a question about the pure cab and space features.

Since the pure cab is global, at what value are you using for your sound?

Space feature... I am running IEM during my shows. I have chosen to run the KPA via the main outs into a Behringer Eurorack to be able to IEM in stereo. I plan on using the direct out set to master mono to run the the FOH as I only have room for 1 gtr input on the board in most situations (9pc band). There will be some larger shows where I can run stereo to FOH, but that is a limited amount of gigs.

question...

will the space effect only be present on signal from the main outs only?

if I run the monitor and direct outs as a stereo pair to the FOH, will space affect be present on those sends?

Lastly, should I use the DIRECT OUT or the MONITOR OUT for my mono FOH feed?

Edited 2 times, last by hartgtrz ().

• There’s a lot of questions buried in that short post :) I’ll take a stab at trying to answer as best I can but others might do better.

Pure cab doesn’t need to be global. It can set on a per rig basis in the Cab section of the Stack block. P65 and 66 of the reference manual explains it better than I can.

As far as I can deduce the Space effect is either only present on the headphones or on everything. The manual only mentions the main outs but I don’t think that’s the case. I haven’t tested it though. The manual does suggest that as long as you don’t go crazy with the space effect it can work well on the main outs while still providing a noticeable improvement in your IEM experience.

You should be able to use any outputs you want. Personally I would send a Master Mono signal to FOH on the main outs and link monitor out and direct out to provide a stereo monitor send for the IEM. I don’t really think there will be a big difference but it feels more intuitive to me. Also by using the XLR mainout you will be a sending a balanced signal that doesn’t need a DI box. If you send monitor or direct They are unbalanced High Z so FOh will need to stick a DI in there. Just giving the engineer a Low Z balanced XLR out os likely to be well received.

• Wheresthedug, thanks for the info. so If I use pure cab per rig, should I disable it globally so as not to have it running in 2 instances thereby summing the effect in the main outs?

• Space in the Output Section only affects the HEADPHONE output and optionally the MAIN OUTPUT. If you want it to affect all outputs you need to use it in one of the effect modules. However, if you just send a mono signal to FOH ending up in your stereo in-ear mix, it will be meaningless. This information is covered in the Main Manual paragraph Space.

Pure Cabinet is not only global, but also available in the cabinet module. Larger value wins. Details in the Main Manual.

The most natural choice feeding FOH would be one of the balanced MAIN OUTOUTS with output source set to "Master Mono".

• Thanks for the clarification Burkhard.

In hartgtrz case it sounds like his signal chain would work as he wants if he did the seemingly strange option of sending the main outs to his own monitor mixer and either monitor or direct to the FOH. If I am reading his post properly it seems that he is sending his own stereo monitor mix separately to the mono FOH mix so it looks like the IEM is going to receive a stereo mix which could benefit from having space on while he doesn’t seem to want to add space to the FOH signal.

In that case is there any difference between using Monitor or Direct out?

• Wheresthedug ...I think you have a good point about using the Main Out (mono) to the board via balanced signal. I will re wire my rack and send the direct and monitor outs to my rack mixer and see if there is an audible difference. I was hesitant to do this first as sending unbalanced signals to my IEM mixer would be unbalanced and possibly carry line level noise in my IEM mix.

• There is another possibility: Some users including myself are driving their in-ears from the HEADPHONE output of the PROFILER. The stereo monitor mix I'm receiving does not include my own guitar signal and is fed into the ALTERNATIVE IN and RETURN in their capacity as Aux Inputs. In this case you can enjoy Space just on the HEADPHONE output and have local control over the balance of monitor mix (without guitar) and the local guitar signal via "Aux In>Headphones". You could enjoy stereo locally regardless of the signal you are sending. I'm sending my signal via MAIN OUTPUTS. These are unlinked from Master Volume. So, I can control my headphone volume via Master Volume while sending a fixed level to FOH. In any case you need to make sure, that "Aux In>Main" is cranked down to avoid a feedback loop.