Live Superior Drummer triggering with Roland e-drums

• Thanks for that Monkey_Man. Things are changing already, I've spend many hours on testing the process of cutting samples from Groove Agent (already in my DAW), as a way of trying the process. Although VST drums with all features will be great when it comes to recording, my immediate need is to get some good drum samples that I can process and load into my TD 50. Taking it all on the road is no longer an option due to cost, technical complexity (on stage) and I can already see loading these kits up will not be quick enough.

So, you are recommending SSD5 with such conviction, I must consider it, but why do you rate it so highly? In my situation, good quality samples is a must, I only considered EZD because it is generally highly rated. Can you tell me if SSD5 is capable of producing a range of kits (say from big and deep to light and tight)? Your opinion will be much appreciated, thanks.

Tama Granstar 7 piece kit, 24" kick and power toms, Zildjian cymbals. Roland TD 50.

"Rock is a dish best eaten hot"!

• So, you are recommending SSD5 with such conviction, I must consider it, but why do you rate it so highly?

'Cause it sounds fantastic, mate; simple as that. It's also super-simple to use; you won't have to read a manual.

Can you tell me if SSD5 is capable of producing a range of kits (say from big and deep to light and tight)? Your opinion will be much appreciated, thanks.

It certainly is! There are 4 expansions available, with a 5th on-the-way, but many users don't feel the need to buy any of them 'cause the factory offerings cover much territory and there is a huge number of kits on-tap.

Check out my thread on it if you like. I tried to be as informative as possible:

Steven Slate Drums 5 - Finally! Was Due for Release Mid 2014

... and the BeerGutz thread; lots of info here too:

Steven Slate Drums 5 (SSD5) Now Available

• Taking it all on the road is no longer an option due to cost, technical complexity (on stage) and I can already see loading these kits up will not be quick enough.

I get what you mean by "complexity" and yes you're right to some degree although setting up a natural drumkit AND setting up all the microphones, mic stands, cables isn't much less complex either. But I understand that you rather focus on drumming than on the technicalities of a laptop/interface setup. :)

This being said, it's not THAT difficult to instantly switch drumkits if you have a decent laptop (SSD, RAM). It can be done by setting up e.g. 3 instrument tracks with Superior Drummer 3, each instance loaded with a different kit. All you need to do then is to SOLO the track (kit) you want to play next. This can even be remote controlled so you don't even have to touch the laptop. ;)

• So, you are recommending SSD5 with such conviction, I must consider it, but why do you rate it so highly? In my situation, good quality samples is a must, I only considered EZD because it is generally highly rated. Can you tell me if SSD5 is capable of producing a range of kits (say from big and deep to light and tight)? Your opinion will be much appreciated, thanks.

I have EZD2 and I like it a lot. That said, the sounds are sort of “pre baked” if you know what I mean. They are already EQ’d and compressed and...effected (affected? Both I guess)

I don’t think you’ll be able to strip out the EQ and Compression. You’re stuck with it as far as I know.

I don’t have Superior Drummer or Steven Slate, but I do have BFD3 which I love, and you have the option of using preset mixer and effect settings, or the raw drum sounds (which likely have a slight bit of EQ and compression on the way in when they were recorded.)

If I were you I would skip EZD for your purposes. You just won’t have the control over the sounds that you’re hoping for, even though it does sound great for a “grab and go” drum sound. Go with SD, BFD, OR SSD.

Please anyone correct me if I’m wrong about EZD being “pre baked.” I would like to know if I’ve been missing something!