Rig Manager: Disable hover auto expand

• When I'm doing drag and drop from the list at right to my profiler, which happens to be towards the bottom, inevitably I accidentally pass over Rig Packs or other folders that then auto expand and shove the target of my drop down until it scrolls off the screen. I can then hover and move the mouse down until the window scrolls, but it's all very sensitive and twitchy. It makes an otherwise nice app somewhat frustrating to work with.

While the subject says disable, perhaps a better solution would be to add a checkbox to the preferences to enable or disable auto folder expand on mouse hover.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I always scroll the contents of the left pane so that the target is in a position to which I can drag without accidentally "touching" and unwanted folder, Chris, but this is not an attempt to diminish your request.

I take it you've tried this, mate?

That's what I do as well, but you still need the precision of a laser guided missile. One little twitch in the wrong direction and the folders explode into a vast array of new targets. And of course, the fact that you had to develop this technique in the first place is kinda the point.

To me, this behavior indicates devs who were paying attention to detail and really trying to make the app as polished as possible. It's the little features like auto expand that are often lacking in software, but they go a long way towards making something feel professional.

Another way of smoothing out this behavior would be to put a timeout on the hover operation, which is probably a better approach than adding a preference.

Instead of immediately expanding, which is what's causing the twitchy behavior, a 500 ms timeout before expanding would allow momentary transition across a folder without disruption. If you really do want it to auto expand, a half second wait isn't enough to disrupt the user experience. If you're just passing through, you'll be over the folder and gone long before the timeout.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Agreed, although I'd be inclined to make the timeout 1 second.

Perhaps the timeout length could be the preference.

EDIT:

I don't know about the precision you described. I drag in the Rig window 'til the cursor is horizontally-parallel with the destination folder and just next to the separator, making the final action a super-simple, "micro" shunt directly to the destination. Accidental expansion is so rare I can't remember the last time it happened to me. Probably in 2015 some time...