Reamp sound is slightly different(really subtle)

• Hello, let me describe my situation first! I have two tracks, first one is the DI track(not my own record), second one is the empty track which is ready to record from reamping.

And after I record the second track(reamp), somhow is slightly different from listening to the play back DI track from kemper.

Actually the difference is really really subtle, need to be very focused so to find out.

Is there anything I might miss?? or it's actually normal?

Hope someone can give me a hand, and please forgive my poor English=O Thank you:)

• Different in what way?

It is most likely a matter of needing to adjust the reamp sens. There is a good description of this in the a Reference Manual.

Thank you for the response! about the reamp sens, I did adjust that when I am adjusting the profile and litsening to the play back from kemper on DI track, my question is shouldn't it sound identical of play back from kemper on DI track and record track ?

And because the difference is so subtle so I don't know how to describe it = =

I do find out something, it doesn't start record in the very begining, maybe it will affect?

• Given that the DI (track one) is an unaffected guitar signal and the Re-amped track presumably has gone through the Kemper with a profile (the point of re-amping), wouldn't you expect them to sound different?

Do you mean the raw DI sound? but I am comparing the play back sound through kemper of DI and the recorded Re-amped track.

If I got you wrong then i'm sorry, I just want to confirm my problem.

• The reason they don’t line up properly in the DAWis latency. I’m not sure what resolution you are zoomed in to on your screen in terms of time but that is probably only a few milliseconds or samples. There is always some latency when reamping as the signal has to go from the DAW to the KPA be processed and then go back to the DAW. This can range from almost imperceptible to noticible timing feel or tonal changes due to comb filtering when played back. The comb filtering effect would happen if you played the original track and the reamped track simultaneously.

• It's all about levels.

You need to get the reamp-DI level going into the Kemper as close as possible to the original DI signal you recorded from the Kemper.

Don't raise or lower the track's level, but instead send it back to the Kemper at "unity gain", meaning "no change". Any tiny differences in gain (distortion - usually this is where level differences are noticed) can then be adjusted either with the gain knob or Reamp Sens.

• Ok, first you need to tell us what is in track one. You say DI ... from where?

DI was recorded by my friend, and he sensed to me to re-amp, so it did not record with kemper.

The reason they don’t line up properly in the DAWis latency. I’m not sure what resolution you are zoomed in to on your screen in terms of time but that is probably only a few milliseconds or samples. There is always some latency when reamping as the signal has to go from the DAW to the KPA be processed and then go back to the DAW. This can range from almost imperceptible to noticible timing feel or tonal changes due to comb filtering when played back. The comb filtering effect would happen if you played the original track and the reamped track simultaneously.

Does it mean the situation I have is normal, no matter what they will sound slightly different because of the latency?

It's all about levels.

You need to get the reamp-DI level going into the Kemper as close as possible to the original DI signal you recorded from the Kemper.

Don't raise or lower the track's level, but instead send it back to the Kemper at "unity gain", meaning "no change". Any tiny differences in gain (distortion - usually this is where level differences are noticed) can then be adjusted either with the gain knob or Reamp Sens.

Could you please tell me how to know reamp-DI level and original DI signal are the same,actually I don't really sure what does these two things mean, but I did find out it might be related to level! Please give me more details!thank you.

• Hey, no worries man.

I'm talking about the level that leaves the Kemper's DI-output sockets and the level you send back to the Kemper from your DAW. In other words, the level you recorded from the Kemper must be the same as the level you send back to it for reamping. This is why I said you must record and play back the DI signal at unity gain, meaning with no level adjustments (fader/s set at "0").

There's no way to see the exact value of the level the Kemper is receiving when you reamp, so you have to make judgements by listening. When I said, "Any tiny differences in gain (distortion - usually this is where level differences are noticed) can then be adjusted either with the gain knob or Reamp Sens.", I was referring to reamping a distorted sound 'cause differences in level will affect the tone more than with clean sounds. By adjusting the Reamp Sens parameter you can match the amount of distortion you hear when reamping compared to the amount you heard playing the Rig with your guitar plugged into the front panel.

Make sense? I tried to say this as simply as possible 'cause I'm aware of the language "barrier".

• Lihsiang there are two different things at play here. One is time and the other is level.

Monkey_Man has explained the level issue

The part I was refering to was timing related. Yes it is normal for the two waveforms not to line up perfectly due to latency. Some people just accept it because it isn’t serious enough to matter in their particular project. However, many people find it severe enough to change the feel so compensate for it manually. To do this they either move the reamped track slightly to make the waveforms line up. Others apply a sample delay with a negative value (minus a ser number of samples) if their DAW has such a plugin.

This latency delay effect won’t change the sound of your reamped guitar track but in some circumstances the effect of other things around it can make it appear different. The most obvious situation is if you play the original track and reamped track together. The fact that they are slightly ofset can create a slight phaser effect.

• Monkey_Man

Wheresthedug

Thank you guys! I learn a lot!

I don't know if it matters, the DI track is not recorded from kemper, just a raw DI guitar file from someone else, about level match part, I am not comparing the reamping to playing the Rig with my guitar plugged into the front panel, so my question is doesn't it will be identical from what I heard of play back on kemper to the Re-amp record done ?

• After studying what you've been saying closely, I think I now know exactly what you mean.

Yes, what you hear from the Kemper when playing the DI track through it should be identical to what you hear after recording it.

The only things I can think of:

1) If you're listening to the Kemper with headphones, make sure the "Headphone Space" effect is off. Better still, listen from your interface instead for a fair comparison.

2) Make sure your interface's built-in mixer (if it has one) isn't processing / adding FX to the live Kemper signal that you're monitoring.

3) Make sure that panning and stereo / mono status of the recorded track are the same as the Kemper signal path you listened to.

4) Check that any plugins on the mixer channel are bypassed.

5) Make sure all aux sends are off / set to "0" - signal could be "bleeding" to a 'verb or something else.

6) Check that your subgroup and master channel aren't adding processing as well.

• Actually I did open a new project just for this re-amp experiment, so every channel is totally clean(non plug-in).

But I still really really appreciate giving me so much help! Thank you!