Free Recommended Plugins?

• Since owning a kemper, I have started recording a lot more in the house and I'm keen to improve my recording practices and mixing techniques.

Can anyone recommend free (or cheap) DAW plugins that you think every home studio should have?

I'm using logic as my main DAW.

• Since owning a kemper, I have started recording a lot more in the house and I'm keen to improve my recording practices and mixing techniques.

Can anyone recommend free (or cheap) DAW plugins that you think every home studio should have?

I'm using logic as my main DAW.

Using Logic you actually have everything you need in tremendous quality.

• Today the stock plugins in every DAW is good enough. I've seen many pro's using Pro Tools stock EQ and compressor, delay and reverb. It's not the effects themself that makes magic. It's the users knowledgde that does it. Go for special plugins that are not included in any DAW, e.g. like Maxxbass or other dev's similar plugin.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I would agree that most DAW’s have everything you need.

But I still went out and downloaded a whole bunch of free stuff, and purchased some stuff anyway!

I use Reaper and it’s amazing. It has everything you’d need, BUT I was finding it hard to EASILY do some of the things I wanted to do.

For instance, it has a delay or two but setting it up to sound the way I wanted was not working for me. I just don’t have the skills! So I purchased EchoBoy from Soundtoys and eventually got their whole bundle. And it turns out that this was a great use of my money as I find the sounds to be really inspiring and easy to dial in. I usually start with a preset that is close to what I want and then tweak it from there.

I also purchased a bunch of Abbey Road plugins from Waves and I think they are amazing. There is nothing in Reaper like the AR channel strips or the Plate Reverbs.

But again, you can make amazing music without buying anything.

If you still want some freebies because...why not?.....try here:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com

• I hear you. I'm also guilty to have bought more plugins than I actually need.

That said, the Abbey Road Stuff and the CLR signature series from Waves is great, as is Izotope Neutron 2 and Ozone 8.

• Yes I have everything I need and more at this point. I keep looking at plugins but quickly realize that it would be wasted money.

I absolutely love the Abbey Road stuff I have...the REDD and TG12345 channel strips especially. The Plate Reverb is delicious, but it really puts a strain on my machine so I usually freeze the effect when I get it sounding how I like, and unfreeze if I need to tweak it. I will have to buy the new Abbey Road Mastering plugin I’m sure lol.

The J37 is great but I haven’t used it much yet. I also have Reelbus from Toneboosters which I got along time ago (as well as their Track Essentials bundle which I think might be the best bargain out there...the Ferox tape simulator works great as a saturation tool, and I have been able to really push it and get some great vintage guitar distortion from it.)

Have you tried the Scheps Omni Channel? Amazing! But also deep...I haven’t fully come to grips with it yet but I really like it so far.

But no more plugins for me! I have everything I could ever need. Now I just need to learn to use them better. And before I do that I need to learn to finish my songs!

But new ideas keep distracting me ?

• Yep, Omni Channel really seems to be a winner. Followed the GS thread from the get-go and folks generally love it.

I will have to buy the new Abbey Road Mastering plugin I’m sure

You like REDD and TG12345, so I can guarantee that you'll love it. A must-have in your case... and mine, IMHO. Interesting that it's modelled on transformer and not tube-powered gear and yet nobody denies that it delivers in spades. Followed the GS thread on this one from the beginning too.

The J37 is great but I haven’t used it much yet.

Kramer Master Tape has more mojo from what I've read. Slate's tape sim is pretty-good too.

David, witness PG (Plugin Gas™) in action, mate, and be warned. :D

• Nothing wrong having third party plugins. I'm guilty of that too. When I first purchased Cubase the plugins actually did suck in Cubase. But if I had started today I would think differently(I really hope so:wacko:) So much hype and bs with third party plugins. Our plugins are warm sounding, to get a pro mix you need this and that plugin. Yadayadayada. I mean what should someone that's totally green or almost, believe anything else than that bs is true and that's the reason his/her mixes sucks is simply becuase they don't have pro plugins. But essentially, learn the plugins in you DAW first before you start looking for a third party plugin you have in your DAW e.g another compressor.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau