Question about different sample rates in latest firmware

• Hi

My understanding is that Kemper and it’s AD’s was designed around 44khz (but used other frequencies internally) but now it’s able to work with 48/88/96. Is that done natively or a matter of upsampling from 44k?

Is there any (theoretical) difference in using an old profile made with 44k and then hooked up with spdif in 48k vs making a new profile (assuming identical conditions) in 48k and using spdif 48k?:?:

Or have I got it wrong and the input AD’s are using something higher (say 192khz or whatever) and the spdif will always be a downsampling case?

I’m probably missing something obvious but if anyone can enlighten me I’d appreciate it

And yes, I know this 44/48/88/96 is likely not noticeable even in the best studio environment on the planet and it’s all in the fingers anyway but I’m curious in a strictly technical theoretical aspect of it

• Is there any (theoretical) difference in using an old profile made with 44k and then hooked up with spdif in 48k vs making a new profile (assuming identical conditions) in 48k and using spdif 48k?

No.

Or have I got it wrong and the input AD’s are using something higher (say 192khz or whatever) and the spdif will always be a downsampling case?

The input A/D's are 44.1kHz.

The Profile-rendering engine operates at a much-higher internal frequency in order to minimise DSP artefacts, so I guess technically you could argue that the output is always-downsampled.

The Kemper guys have said that there'll be no difference in quality regardless of the chosen S/PDIF rate; the feature is there as a matter of utility, it would seem.