Poll: Ethics of profiling using Impulse Responses

• I know people are already doing this, so it’s a moot point. Bommel was saying in another thread That he profiles using a Two Notes Torpedo. In that sense, the Two Notes has a proprietary IR format. Would using these be less bad than a static IR?

Also, just by virtue of the way my loadbox interacts with the IR, the resultant cabinet section is nothing like the original cabinet. Also add the fact that the Kemper’s own cabinet section responds better than an IR after you create it. And it is also possible to blend multiple IRs to create a unique cabinet that desn’t exist in the real world.

Reading the T&C of many IR makers as well, it doesn’t appear to bar the use of the IRs for this purpose. So it is not illegal.

What I am trying to find out is if there is a mortal hazard to any of this. After all, guys are pirating commercial profiles and people buy them too, obviously. This doesn’t seem as bad as piracy *to me*, but I wouldn’t want to pass off others’ work as my own.

In that respect, would full disclosure suffice? Investors seen a few profiles created using IRs that have been well received, such as:

Friedman Butterslax profiles

These were well-regarded profiles, but it appears the user just smacked commercial IRs into the cabinet section using cab maker.. I think.

When I found out, I deleted the profiles on my own machine, but other users obviously didn’t see fit to.

So that just makes me feel really conflicted about whether I am just being too obtuse about this whole thing.

• As soon as you run through the profiling process - what is the difference? Human factor of moving real mics? Moving simulated mics in Two Notes Torpedo hardware? Profiling the axe-fx or a vst amp sim with tones you dialed in? Setting up an impulse loader in your DAW, choose sample setting and quality, choose a fitting IR or mix two of them, add an power amp sim, add eq or other plugins? All this contains human factor.

The maker of IR don't wants profiles of it? Neither does a manufacturer of an analog cab sim or pedals in general wants to see profiles of it. I can't see the difference ?

• AJ it’s an interesting ethical dilemma but I can’t really see the purpose.

Why would you want to create and distribute studio profile with an IR baked in? That effectively limits the flexibility compared to just sharing a direct profile.

You mentioned the interaction between the Loadbox and IR. As far as I am aware there is absolutely no interaction between the Loadbox an IR. There is an interaction between the Loadbox and Amp’s power section but that is captured independently of the IR being used.

It seems to me that what you are effectively suggesting is just making new IRs to distribute with your Kemper profiles. If you remove the Kemper from the equation would it change your ethical view? I don’t know the answer to that just putting out some more food for thought.

• Yes, pardon me, the interaction between the amp's power section and the load box is what I meant. So that removes one more factor in favour of using commercial IRs and profiling.

The thing is, I don't have an ethical viewpoint on the process per se. I do it at home with really good results. But I don't share those profiles because I'm using someone else's commercial IRs.

Now as far as removing the Kemper from the equation, that really doesn't make a difference, as I can run my amps into my loadbox and into the IRs in my computer. There is no moral predicament there, because I paid for the IRs and the terms of use specifically state that I can use it for my own inscrutable purposes.

In fact, I would prefer to do that, because the profiling process is very unpredictable when using a dummy load instead of a speaker cab and is not recommended.

That said, did you check that other thread that I posted a couple of posts back? The results of using an Ownhammer IR really shone through in that case.

Another thing: I think that importing an IR as a Kemper cabinet and using that as an "IR loader" is far superior to running into your computer, because the Kemper has a more dynamic algorithm than the static IR.

Personally, I have no horse in this race. I just saw another post where Bommel said he uses a Torpedo Studio to profile and it is fine by me. I don't think the use of IRs is unethical or ethical, which is why I started this thread because I'm curious to know what other people think. In the case of those free Butterslax profiles with commercial IRs baked in, there was a lot of interest and 37 likes.

Let's look at it another way. Is using a free IR to profile unethical? I would think not, but then someone else might think it is cheating people who have an expectation of a real cabinet being profiled with a mic. Going further, is a commercial IR unethical to profile because someone was charging money for it?

And on that subject, some profilers use the same cabinet for ALL of their profiles. Is that ethical?

I'm just curious to know. Like I said, no horse in this race. That said, I suspect a lot of people who take very strong positions on this didn't shy away from those Butterslax profiles like I did after finding out why they sounded so good :D

Here, have a couple of free profiles I created (Engl Savage 120 into Emperor 4x12 loaded with Eminence Governors and miced with an E906 and SM57). One is high gain, the other is medium gain. Just look for Indian Savage I and J on the Rig Exchange :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There is a commercial seller that just copies his (own and converted) IR to direct amp profiles on most of the packs and sells this as Kemper rigs without making it clear. Again, no Kemper cab, but converted IR. Noone seems to notice this or cares. Another one does this with a few special packs.

Others sell merged rigs that are not really merged, but only different direct amp profiles with the same cabs just copied.

• There is a commercial seller that just copies his (own and converted) IR to direct amp profiles on most of the packs and sells this as Kemper rigs without making it clear. Again, no Kemper cab, but converted IR. Noone seems to notice this or cares. Another one does this with a few special packs.

Others sell merged rigs that are not really merged, but only different direct amp profiles with the same cabs just copied.

I know, what you mean. I have heard the same thing about some profilers as well.

• In the software world, if I build a product (software) that uses proprietary code from another developer, I would need to license it

True, although typically with commercial libraries the licenses explicitly allow you to sell / distribute software you created using their libraries, since that was the point of buying the library in the first place. You just can't distribute the library / source code itself.

It's up to the OP to do the research here, really.

Beyond the general fun of the thought experiment, I believe this is the practical application. If you want to use someone's stuff, and want to be sure you don't get a call from their lawyer, contact them.

And remember, it doesn't matter who's actually right or wrong - the moment someone initiates legal action, you're spending money on a lawyer of your own to defend yourself. Even if the end of the court case declares the other party has to pay your legal expenses, the case itself can drag on forever and you're out of pocket that whole time. Also, just because someone gets a judgement against them, it doesn't mean they'll actually pay you in a timely manner (or at all).

The best way to avoid problems is to effectively anticipate where trouble will occur, and then be somewhere else. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I know people are already doing this, so it’s a moot point. Bommel was saying in another thread That he profiles using a Two Notes Torpedo. In that sense, the Two Notes has a proprietary IR format. Would using these be less bad than a static IR?

Well I mainly make D.I. profiles and use the torpedo live mainly as a load. Most of my profiles are without a cab.

Most IRs i load into the torpedo are also mine, linearized, EQed and dialed to my taste using the blend ir program of Twonotes and a hardware eq after the torpedo (Alesis PEQ450).

If you would like to make make profiles using a two notes product you can try/have my mine i really don't care what people do with them. nightlight https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7q9…OQ3mm15xW3nIlLqsuNfa?dl=0 just add a eq that fits you taste so that is not a total copy of mine :D i hope this solves your moral dilemma.

• Well I mainly make D.I. profiles and use the torpedo live mainly as a load. Most of my profiles are without a cab.

Most IRs i load into the torpedo are also mine, linearized, EQed and dialed to my taste using the blend ir program of Twonotes and a hardware eq after the torpedo (Alesis PEQ450).

If you would like to make make profiles using a two notes product you can try/have my mine i really don't care what people do with them. nightlight https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7q9…OQ3mm15xW3nIlLqsuNfa?dl=0 just add a eq that fits you taste so that is not a total copy of mine :D i hope this solves your moral dilemma.

Thanks for the offer and apologies if it seemed like I was finger-pointingat you, Bommel. That’s not the intention, as I said, I don’t have a viewpoint on it being ethical or unethical.

Thanks for the IRs, I’ll be sure to check them out.

To everyone involved in this thread:

The intention of this thread isn’t “Why can’t I use commercial IRs for profiling”, more along the lines of “Is it ethical or unethical to do so”. There are clearly people on both sides of the fence on this. What’s also clear is that it is happening even now.

Well, going by the example I posted of the Butterslax profile, it looks like that has already happened. But I haven’t heard of commercial profilers chasing after people selling their profiles online, let alone IR makers chasing people for using their stuff on a song.

I’m curious to know what dictates fair usage. Which is why I stated in the OP, I am not looking at Tom, Dick and Harry’s views, I was hoping some commercial profile users who also offer IRS, or maybe Kemper Amps, could clarify.

As I mentioned in the OP, if I blend two or more IRs and create a new IR, is it now mine? What if I profile the multiple IR created using different vendors’ IRs?

Going further, if I have three profilers and profile a combination of two profiles using the third, is the third profile now mine? Or does it default to the creator(s)? If so, why?

I mean, after all, if you can profile an Axe FX or Helix and claim the tones as your own, why can you not do that if you profile a Kemper profile, maybe after tailoring some part of the EQ, for argument’s sake, if not at all.

Again, the mistaken assumption that I am trying to justify sharing something created using commercial IRs has no basis. This is a philosophical discussion. Honestly, if amp makers cannot sue Kemper Amps for stealing a sound, an IR maker cannot sue someone for using the tools bought from them to create new sounds which are nothing like the product used to create it.

On the other hand, what is true is that people are already doing so, and there are also people selling profiles created using IRs. And there are even a larger number of people who are obviously buying or downloading these profiles and using them.

So please don’t point the finger at me, guys! I am just looking to hear your views.

• True, although typically with commercial libraries the licenses explicitly allow you to sell / distribute software you created using their libraries, since that was the point of buying the library in the first place. You just can't distribute the library / source code itself.

Actually, I was thinking specifically of libraries like JUCE. Or some codecs, that are paid license for commercial distribution. IE, I can't build a commercial JUCE based app or plugin without licensing ($) the JUCE framework. https://shop.juce.com/get-juce

The same logic can be applied to music samples guys- without a license to use that content. IANAL, but I'd say the same rules would apply here, if not to the letter then in spirit.

IOW, get in touch with the creator of the content and make sure it's okay :)

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• nightlight no problem :) i hope you like the IRs ...

to give you my opinion

when you profile amps that involves so much more then the sound and the product is untouched.

and it is just a snap shot. So only copying a sound doens't mean you copied the product.
    100% software products that sole purpose is to offer a spectrum in form of a IR are prettymuch

pirated imo when you profile them unchanged imo ...

So in my book if you profile somethin with a bought IR do more to the cab, eq it or something ...

otherwise it wouldn't be okay imo.

I made some basscab profiles of my two notes bass cabs (that i bought) and if you compare it to the original sound

you wouldn't recognize them, because i tweaked them a lot to make them fit to my bass ...

I maybe gives you the flavour or it is bases on that IR but yeah it is not the same

These are the only IRs i profiled that are not 100% made by me. But let me know if you think that is wrong or something

then i'll delete them. I have no bad intentions i just like to share, i mean i do not charge anything for my work so yeah.

• Does Jimmy Page need to give royalties to Gibson and Fender for using their instruments to make hit records?

If you're not giving away the original IR with the profile, I don't see a problem.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• nightlight, in the case of the Butterslax profiles, IIRC he used commercial IRs in the profile directly. IOW, the commercial IR was distributed unaltered. So I could now turn around and use that commercial IR, for free, in my other profiles. That's clearly unethical.

Your other examples, using one or more IRs as a component in a larger signal chain to create a "new product" -- a Kemper Profile -- while it might make us uncomfortable, I can't see how that would differ from any other part of the signal chain that goes into the Profile. That would be like Tone Loc's Wild Thing.

However, you could take this "new product" strategy to it's logical extreme and claim that using CabMaker to create a KPA Cab from an unaltered commercial IR is the same thing., but it's not. It's like ripping a song from CD to MP3 and selling it. You can't do that.

• I think the most important thing not giving away a "unaltered"-IR from another brand that is not very fair imo

I mean many amp concepts are based on the Fender Bassman. So editing something and making a refined product out of it is okay imo

• With profiles we often aim to reproduce stuff as close as possible. When I profile a cheap Joyo American Sound pedal in some common settings or make direct profiles of factory presets of a preamp or capture an analog cab sim that only has 2 options, I totally "steal" that sound. Kind of "unaltered". When I share that rigs, Kemper owners will probably not buy the units. Because it is as close as possible to the original.

IR sellers offer IR that I have to convert to use with the Kemper. Maybe profiling an IR through an IR loader will give an even more authentic result instead of converting? So the seller doesn't even offer this solution. I would have to make this version with an IR loader for myself. For me no difference than profiling any analog hardware cab sim.

• I just realised there was something quite interesting I said in my last post when it came to profiling the Axe FX and Helix.

Isn’t it freaky that those things use IRs? :D

I like Bommel’s idea of tweaking the EQ, etc, to ensure that it’s not the same as just creating a cabinet using an IR in Cab Maker.

At the same time, what if I run the whole thing through a preamp like a Neve or an API? Does that materially change the situation?

Just hypothetical stuff, guys. Personally, I do not think I will share anything I create with IRs. My reputation already suffers immensely from these kinds of controversial threads :D

But at the same time, I don’t think I will have a vehement reaction to someone using them, as long as they are not lifting them outright.

Of course, the whole thing is a slippery slope. To me, the real genie that has been let out of the bottle is the Kemper and it’s profiling method.

I have an idea for Kemper Amps and Mr ckemper . We have already seen that the Kemper can replicate studio gear. Maybe a unit that can profile multiple bits in a chain and then use that to create a studio signal? Like eight Kempers in one. It’ll be frightfully expensive, but can save a lot of old studio gear. Compressors, EQs, preamps, the works.

If you create something like that, I just ask that you name it the Arvind Replicator :D

• Does Jimmy Page need to give royalties to Gibson and Fender for using their instruments to make hit records?

If you're not giving away the original IR with the profile, I don't see a problem.

No, but The Verve had to give royalties to the stones for using a sample of an orchestral cover. The cover was licensed, but the sample was NOT.

The IRs could be considered a sample, versus an instrument. It's fuzzy.

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• 1) Personally, I don't see anything wrong with using IR's to make profiles for free or for sale. Of course I'm not a lawyer, this is just my uneducated opinion. I wouldn't ask the IR vendor though, I would ask a lawyer. You might post your question on The Gear Page, I think there's a patent attorney that hangs out there.

2) I've actually tested making a profile with a cab and mic vs. making a profile with an IR of the same cab and mic and I can't tell any difference, but I don't claim to have golden ears :) BTW, I used the Torpedo CAB for that test.

Using a load box is a different story, of course it depends on the quality of the load box. But if you are happy with the results then it's probably fine. For my test I loaded the amp down with the same speaker cab so there was no difference in that regard.

HTH

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content soundcloud.com

• If I use your commercially available IR to get the guitar sounds I record onto my record and release for sale to the public, do I owe you a royalty?

Or was that use (for my personal guitar sounds) included in the license you sold me with the IR?

This is the same.