Delay Tails

• There's too much gain on the second example, compressing the signal and adding sustain, and not enough attack on the dry sound, which will mask the delay tails. It's also muddier, which will also not help.

The sound itself is not what I will be using. It was just a quick example as I am using direct profiles through a cab and needed a quick way to record a demonstration as a few people asked for one.

Yeah, less gain will help. But it's the first repeats you hear well enough, when the gain is at it's strongest. I just wanted the repeats to stay at a consistent level and not trail off.

That said, I do think backing off on the gain is gonna be the most effective course of action in achieving more clarity as there is no way around the fading repeats (short of pulling out my trusty Boss dd6 anyway)

Edited once, last by caldo777 ().

• One way to deal with the fading repeats that I don't think has been mentioned:

Record the delay separately from the amp sound and apply a limiter to bring the faded repeats up to a consistent level.

The sound quality of the repeats will suffer slightly, but this is the closest thing I can think of to achieving what I outlined Here, which is to remove the decay envelope.

There may still be one or two repeats at the end that don't quite reach full-volume. In this case, I suggest a gate set to sync with the track's tempo and desired open-time, or automating an instant mute when desired.

• One way to deal with the fading repeats that I don't think has been mentioned:

Record the delay separately from the amp sound and apply a limiter to bring the faded repeats up to a consistent level.

The sound quality of the repeats will suffer slightly, but this is the closest thing I can think of to achieving what I outlined Here, which is to remove the decay envelope.

Good shout Monkey_Man but this is for live performance and not recording. If it was a recording situation I would have done away with the Kemper delay in favor of something different. I was wanting to keep things as simple as possible and having the KPA take care of the effects affords me that luxury.

• Bummer.

Could a similar thing be achieved using a compressor stomp in a slot post-delay, I wonder.

If you could use the serial/parallel feature that runs into the reverb from the delay to separate the wet tails from the dry signal. As far as I know that slot is exclusive to reverb unfortunately. I think I might have read somewhere that the much anticipated reverb update might add that kind of functionality although I could be mistaken?

I did try a compressor after the delay in serial but it acts on the dry signal mostly until you really push it, bringing up the noise and killing the dynamics in the process.

• I had another try at recreating something simliar to your example but this time using a lower gain profile as Sam suggested.

Again it isn't exactly he same but it definitely in the right ball park to my ears.

https://soundcloud.com/alan-dick/delay-example/s-4IKbT

Sounds great! Definitely very close in the way the delay translates to the original.

I'm yet to get a chance to mess with it and try out your suggestions from yesterday. Are you using those same settings you posted?

• Excellent work man.

You really do relish a challenge don't you? I think you can safely check this one off as accomplished :)