Using a Wireless Guitar Unit w/ the Kemper...

• G10
    receiver and power supply velcroed to the back of the rack case and powered by rack mount power conditioner.
    receiver output into alternative input on the Kemper.

No issues live in club or outdoor venues.

G10 output level is fine both with single coils and high output humbuckers.

Alternative input is specified as being somewhat noisier but not really noticeable live.

In studio I use front input using a cable.

pretty elegant solution with no cables visible on front panel and one power cable is all I need to power the conditioner, Kemper and wireless.

• Using a Shure GLXD here, no issues at all (superb unit, BTW - allows me to go rocking out into the crowd and round the pub with no dropouts).

Previously used a Line 6 Relay G50 and then a G70 - also worked fine.

• Using Boss WL-50 (must be a competitor for G10 and G30 comparing specs and price) for already 4 months for home playing. Some main points about the unit:

• Could not detect any noticeable latency
    • Transmitter holds it's charge close to declared in specs 12 hours
    • Receiver has 1/4" input, so you can play guitar through cable, while charging the transmitter
    • Has stable signal when used with power supply
    • If using receiver with batteries that start dying, you may have some minor dropouts if radio signal is obstructed
    • Comes with no power supply in the the box. But if you buy it to fit it on your pedal board, you don't really need it, because WL-50 has standard 9V power input
    • Fits nice with pedalboards: again, has 9V power input and also has clean profile, when transmitter is plugged into the receiver, so nothing sticks out, if you want to put your pedalboard in a case or a bag
  • Shure GLXD16 unit, I’m not sure I can recommend it. It started crapping out (unreliable switching and poor/strange connection problems) the week I was going to open for ZZTop for a couple weeks, and Shure didn’t want to do anything for me. I ended up borrowing a Sennheiser unit and using that instead.

Since then I’ve re tested the same GLXD16 in rehearsals, and it was working alright so I brought it to a fly date in Vegas. I let it search for the perfect channel in group 4, and it seemed to work during soundcheck, then it started cutting out during the performance. I was able to walk to the Kemper between songs and flip to another channel which was a bit better. I just don’t trust the unit anymore and don’t think it’s really built as tough as you would think.

• It's sad that Line 6 doesn't listen to customer feedback. I had bought one of the earlier models (G30 I think) about 2 years ago (maybe longer) and the battery door was a problem back then. I had to tape it shut and finally bought a pouch to eliminate the batteries from falling out onto the stage. How can you continue to sell a product with such a basic flaw??????

Their transmitters have been an issue for a while. The belt clips on them are a joke, to be honest. I keep mine in a pouch, seems to be the best solution honestly.

• Used a G50 for many many years. Turned the beltclip around, drilled a hole in my strap and just screwed it on the strap upside down if that makes sense. Broke the transmitter input a couple of weeks ago, and bought a Sennheiser EW D1. Both systems work very well, and i quite like the (lack of) sound of the Sennheiser. I also like the sturdiness of the connector and battery compartment on the Sennheiser transmitter.

• Their transmitters have been an issue for a while. The belt clips on them are a joke, to be honest. I keep mine in a pouch, seems to be the best solution honestly.

It must just be the way we all use them differently. The G50 is my favourite, after having Sennheisers, Nadys and a Smoothhound.

I have the belt pack clipped on my back pocket without any problems and it is the first digital system without dropouts.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• It occurs to me that if the trend is toward digital wireless units, it would make sense if someone had a receiver that could clock to, and spit out spdif directly to, the Kemper without an additional D-A-D step in between. Staying in the digital domain.

THAT might convince me to go digital wireless.

• wwittman I'd be all over that too- but I only know of Kemper and Fractal that can do spdif in - so that would limit their sales.

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• You know what would also be cool... if a wireless unit could take realtime impedance measurements from both the transmitter AND receiver, then mirror those values on the other side. I'm sure there's some law of physics that would be violated.

• You know what would also be cool... if a wireless unit could take realtime impedance measurements from both the transmitter AND receiver, then mirror those values on the other side. I'm sure there's some law of physics that would be violated.

I just wonder if the punters would notice:-)

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I still have my GLXD14. Thinking i should revisit it and see if i can find the cause of the dropouts. I did love it when it was working!

*Edit - I see there is a new firmware on the Shure site. Might as well give that a go!

Did you ever try this out again? Just curious as I have a GLX-D (floor tuner version) and have been using it for the past year (just leave it in my rack and don't utilize the tuner part as the Kemper remote tuner works fine). It's been mostly rock-solid but I do occasionally have issues where I need to change channels or just don't have any luck having consistent signal. Usually takes some trial and error during sound check. Every other member in my band uses Line 6 wireless (G30's) and they don't seem to have issues whatsoever. Just find it ironic bc I've read the total opposite (which is why I ordered the Shure in the first place). I'm curious if you ever got yours working any better. I'm debating Line 6 something...

• Hello!

I'm thinking of buying the new Shure GLXD-RE14. After reading the reports, I hope that the new "RE 14" is better than the previous device.

My question:

Can the problems come about because the Shure is about 5 cm shorter than the KPA (rack)? After all, the antennas can not be set up then. Is that so? I have a GLDX 16 and it works great! I know the GLXD-RE 14 only from the picture and ask, because I want to install it in a rack.

Thanks a lot

Peter

• I have the glxd-14 mounted in a 4u skb roto rack. It fits with tons of room in the back of the rack velcroed toward the edge of the back. The shure GLX wireless units are flawless you cant go wrong! I bought an extra battery so it can charge while I use the other battery for live.

• Hello spazmatron!

Thanks for your answer!

I see, you use the older / other system.

The Problem is:

The GLXD-RE4 - it's the receiver - has the antennas on the back side.

So if you mount the system frontside with the KPA, the KPA is roundabout 5 cm

longer then the Shure. So you can't stand vertically the antennas. That's what I mean.

How I said: I don't have the system and I don't know, if the antennas are on it's base

long enough to reach over the back side of the KPA to stand them vertically.

I think, that can make trouble...

By the way:

Is it possible to mount a Shure PSM 300 inear-system side by side with the GLXD?

Thanks

Peter