Volume Loss

• So, when I first plugged my bass into the Kemper and into a cabinet. It was LOUD! I started switching around and everything was great.

I then unplugged my speaker and plugged into another cabinet.

The volume was significantly lower and has been after that.

I have gone through all of the volume power settings I can find.

Is there a way to maybe reset to the beginning, restore factory settings? I dunno. I just don't know what I could have done.

• Yeah. There must be something going on. so weird. NO WAY can I use this thing live and rehearsal with levels like this! It's lower than my computer speaker.

What gives?! Did I blow something by unplugging the speaker and plugging it into another speaker? That's when the problems started.

• Hello and welcome to the Kemper club.

I do not believe solid state amps require a load connected like tube amps do. There shouldn't be any issues hot swapping a cab.

A couple questions:

1. When you switch back to the other cab it is still lower volume than it was before?
    2. Is your main volume knob linked to the monitor volume?
    3. Did you change the power amp boost settings?
    4. Was there any popping noises when switching the cabs?
    5. What is the impedance of the first and second cab?
    6. You are sure you are plugged back in to the powered monitor out when swapping the cabs?
    7. Have you tried a different speaker cable?

Don't be offended by the really stupid questions, it just helps eliminate variables and will put the Kemper experts here ahead when trying to figure out what could be going on.

• I dont feel offended at all Sunshine! I appreciate your willingness to help! I mean, I was literally playing for less than 5 minutes through my one amp (4ohms) and it was sounding great!! I switched over to my Ampeg (SVT 810E @ 4ohms nominal impedence using a mono plug) and the volume was very low.

When you switch back to the other cab it is still lower volume than it was before?

I then switched back to my Peavey 215 and the volume was still low

Is your main volume knob linked to the monitor volume?

Hm, not sure, still familiarizing myself with the setup, but I went in to all of the volume things I could find and set everything at 0.0, and the volume will NOT go up very much.

Did you change the power amp boost settings?

I have been looking for that, but no, I haven't physically changed anything. I just downloaded the manual, because I'm not sure where to find that.Was there any popping noises when switching the cabs?NopeWhat is the impedance of the first and second cab?Both at 4ohms You are sure you are plugged back in to the powered monitor out when swapping the cabs?

I didn't change the plug coming from the Kemper, only where it was going to the input of the cab, using the same cable - the one that was working FINE just a few moments prior. Have you tried a different speaker cable?

No, I will.

I will report back.

• Can you rent another Kemper and test it and compare with yours? ? it will answer all your question. In my town we can rent Kemper for one day so my solution is based on a realistic way (if by chance you got a friend with a Kemper you can borrow it for the same test)

• From your response to Sunshine’s list of questions it sounds like only two things could acount for it.

1 - faulty speaker cable

2 - faulty Kemper

I would test the speaker cable with another amp if possible or try a new cable with Kemper (or both to be really sure). Are you definitely using speaker cables rather than standard guitar cables? It is possible to burn out guitar cables and cause a short.

If that doesn’t work then I think you need to contact support.

• Yes, I used two different cables and 3 different amps. I tried a factory reset, updated OS, firmware, etc. This powered kemper should DEFINITELY be louder than my internal computer speakers.

I will contact Sweetwater. Thank you.

Edited once, last by spindlebox: added detail ().

• Yes, I used two different cables and 3 different amps. I tried a factory reset, updated OS, firmware, etc. This powered kemper should DEFINITELY be louder than my internal computer speakers.

I will contact Sweetwater. Thank you.

That's too bad, man! I hope you go for a replacement because the Kemper rocks as a bass rig.

BTW, you meant "monitor CAB off" right?

If you have anything regarding the amp turned off, you may have the power amp disabled. IF this is the case, turn everything WAY back down and turn the poweramp back on. (I believe this is in the output section).

Also, power amp boost gives you a bit of extra volume, but this is optional and even when this particular setting is turned all the way down, it should still be loud as hell at 4 ohms.

• OK, well, it appears as though it was a faulty unit. Sweetwater ALREADY got me a replacement unit and it is ROCKIN'. There was definitely something going on with that other unit because I am using this one just like the other, and I haven't even had to fiddle with any volumes. Both my Peavey and Ampeg cabinets were SHAKING my house this AM.

In heaven!!

Thanks to everyone! It is just my luck that my first 5 minutes with a Kemper ended with such disappointment. I plan on making up for lost time.

• Are you sure, that when you changed cabinets, you plugged the speaker cable into the correct PROFILER output? What you describe sounds like you plugged the cable into the MONITOR OUTPUT instead of the SPEAKER OUTPUT. We had that before …. The MONITOR OUTPUT delivers the same signal, but at line level. It's sufficient to drive your cabinet, but at very low volume.

• Are you sure, that when you changed cabinets, you plugged the speaker cable into the correct PROFILER output? What you describe sounds like you plugged the cable into the MONITOR OUTPUT instead of the SPEAKER OUTPUT. We had that before …. The MONITOR OUTPUT delivers the same signal, but at line level. It's sufficient to drive your cabinet, but at very low volume.

No man, I didn't change the main power out from the kemper when I switched amps. I just moved the cable from one cabinet to another.

• And you didn't accidentally connect that speaker cable to any grounded equipment? Running without a load is no challenge for the built-in power amp, but being connected to other grounded equipment is.