Current options for passive FRFR

• I searched the forums for FRFR and a lot of the posts were several years old, so I hope it's not inappropriate to touch on this question again. The challenge seems to be that most folks are going with powered speakers and I need passive.

The Gemini seems to get a lot of attention, but I have a powered head and at least here in the US, retailers seem to carry the powered cabs exclusively. I've also read that the characteristics of FRFR cabinets vary significantly from brand to brand.

While my preference is to run the Kemper to FOH, making my stage monitor less relevant, I'm nonetheless considering going FRFR for the monitor if there's a significant difference over my Marshall 4x12 / monitor cab off. There is a noticeable difference between the cab and what I hear from my reference monitors in the studio, so I thought it would be worth exploring.

For those of you using passive FRFR cabs, I'd love to year your thoughts on the strengths / weaknesses of the brands out there.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• I am using the RedSound 1x12 passive cab and it sounds really good! I have been trying quite a few cabs and also guitar cabs from 1x12 to 4x12. I always preferred to "real" cab over a frfr solution until I tried the RedSound. It sounds kind of in between a cab and frfr with the advantage of being able to use the full studio profiles.

I don't know if you can order one from the U.S though.

• I am using the RedSound 1x12 passive cab and it sounds really good! I have been trying quite a few cabs and also guitar cabs from 1x12 to 4x12. I always preferred to "real" cab over a frfr solution until I tried the RedSound. It sounds kind of in between a cab and frfr with the advantage of being able to use the full studio profiles.

I don't know if you can order one from the U.S though.

I'll give it a look, thanks!

[edit]

Nope, no real US presence. Appreciate it just the same.

[/edit]

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• The Yamaha DXR10s seem to be very popular for powered speakers, but I can't seem to get a bead on finding a Yamaha passive version that's exactly the same as the DXR10, only without the power. Anyone know if such a creature exists?

• The Yamaha DXR10s seem to be very popular for powered speakers, but I can't seem to get a bead on finding a Yamaha passive version that's exactly the same as the DXR10, only without the power. Anyone know if such a creature exists?

Like you I've only seen powered Yammys. I have a DXR10 and it is a great speaker. I also have the Xitone MBritt powered cab and it is awesome. Check the Xitone passives, I've heard good things and Mick is brilliant to work with.

I just got a Bose L1 model 2 with B2 bass bin for our band vocals. Last night I hooked the Kemper into it. Holy carp!:)

• Appreciate everyone's thoughts, particularly since I know the general FRFR thing has been beaten to death. After some poking around, it became clear that while there are passive options, the majority of solutions were oriented towards powered cabs.

I bought a powered head thinking I could use my existing guitar cabs, and I can. What I couldn't know until I had the Kemper here and played through it is how much of a difference there would be between studio reference monitors / FOH and what I'd hear, even with the monitor cab off, through a guitar cabinet. Make no mistake, it sounds very good through V30s. It's just that it sounds even better (for my taste) through reference monitors, and I don't want to give that up on stage.

I was looking for a passive solution because I already paid for power once. However, it occurred to me that there's no reason I couldn't still make use of a powered solution since that's where the greatest number of options are.

In this particular case, size matters (limited space in my car). Once I opened myself up to the idea of using a powered cab I took a closer look at the DXR10. Not only does it get high marks for sound quality from a lot of folks here, it's also very compact and will easily fit. And even if I did have room for some of the others, the price of the DXR10 was also attractive. So, I have one on the way.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably still buy the powered head even though I'll now be running a powered cab. I like options, and knowing I can take a toaster-sized bag anywhere and just plug into an existing guitar cab appeals to me.

Between the Kemper, remote, a bunch of profile purchases and now the cab, I've spent almost exactly the amount of money that I made selling all of my amps. I think there must have been some kind of universal harmony thing going on here. :)

• Good choice!

I found that there are numerous possibilities sonically with the combination of placement and the DSP switch options. IE placing it as a wedge, or upright, or raised off the floor made for some interesting voicings.

Much fun to be had, congrats!

• Yeah, one of the things I liked in addition to the small form factor was the option of using it as a wedge. My knees are surprisingly apathetic about how my guitar sounds. :)

• do you use the full monitor sound from your band on the yammy or just your guitar? I'm looking for a good monitor wedge with good combo of band monitor but also great translation of the guitar sound. I'm undecided where to go. I'm experimenting with di/merged profiles with IRs similar to my 2x12 guitar cab as well to keep the amp feeling alive. Would be amazing to move the air but also have the band on the monitor. (Hello utopia) IEM is not for me.

Cheers

once a purist, then analog pragmatic and finally a digital believer who found out that you can't hear a mosquito fart in a band-context.