Genres for User Profiles and Ratings system upgrade for Rig Esxchange

• I see a bunch of ratings on rigs lately, and that's a good thing. But, I have noticed that there are a few profiles that have low ratings, but sound pretty good to me. Others have a 5 star rating, and I think are horrible.

I think the rating system can be expanded, with a comments section for the rating, and even a genre for each person.

For example, you can put in the genres of music that you normally play, and it is tied to your profile. For me, this would be classic rock, hair metal, etc. I'm not into Djent at all. Not into the latest trends of detuning to drop C, etc.

Using that information, you can tell the genres of the people who rated the profiles. A profile that is rated a 5 for major drop tuning, will probably not get great ratings in other genres.

Coming from a programming background, this is a very easy, and very useful addition to RE.

• I heartily agree.

I come from a similar background and have auditioned lots of highly rated profiles where my first thought was, "OMG, this is awful! How did it get rated so highly?"

A millisecond later my brain engages and I factor in that different styles have different needs, so my assessment quickly changes to, "Oh, not for me, but thanks for making it available."

Being able to search RE by genre and having that also be a factor in the star ratings would be a significant improvement. It would also help address the other problem with the star system - a huge number of these profiles haven't been reviewed at all, at which point it's of little value. Using @lespauled's suggestion, I could still find appropriate profiles to consider based on genre alone if the person creating the profile included it. And if the reviewer could also tag it with genres, so much the better. The combination of genre and rating would be extremely useful.

I would envision this being implemented as multiple selection checkboxes rather than a single dropdown list, since a profile will very often do well in multiple genres.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I see this thread is old, but I believe it deserves some momentum. The voting system needs IMO a way to be more focused and, finally, useful. Otherwise it remains a nice proof of concept.

Still chasing a worthy one :/