One More New KPA User Thanks in Advance ;)

• In these instances are you adding to the gain knob's "default" setting, Chip?

When a Profile is made, the KPA's software determines the amount of gain it perceives was set on the amp. Raising it beyond this point forces the unit to guess what it might've sounded like if the amp had been cranked more, resulting in what I've always called a "synthetic" sort of "spongey", lower-attack-definition sound.

In practice, lowering gain from the default setting generally sounds great. This makes sense 'cause the Profiling routine passes audio at "all" levels through the amp and analyses the result but there's no way to know how the amp might've sounded should the gain knob have been set higher.

I dial out the presence, high EQ register and play with the amp bias, shaping and ect.. It's still there

Have you tried starting with lowering Definition before adjusting any of those things, Chip?

Also, I'd avoid raising "Clarity" if you find the top end at all harsh.

• I've seen the rmpacheco Morgan in the included factory rigs. Is it the one everybody loves or a variation on the theme?

I assume it's the same one. I didn't know they had incorporated it as a factory rig.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Good day Monkey Man. Harsh isn't what I hear. I'm using the Vox AC 30 and it's clean with no gain at all. I also will dial in at lower volumes and then increase the volume to listen to any frequencies changes that may be needed when at higher volumes. I really think it's the character of the beast. This issue that I'm strappling with is what I dealt with using the Helix. It sounded "toyish" to my ears. Except here with the Kemper "toyish" is not the term I'll use. The KPA is very believable and as I mentioned the KPA is the superior unit.

I think what I'll do is flatten the EQ and play with the amp settings first then EQ as needed. I watched a video after my comment and he did state to adjust EQ after one dials in the amp settings, bias and ect. Which I did not do because I found them after the fact. The clarity is dialed in high. I'll adjust it too as you suggested.

I'm playing around with the Vox AC and creating clean patches with different fx on top. I noticed last night the flanger will round out and warm up the notes when dialed in ever so slightly. I'll try both of the techniques out and see where I land. I have a feeling it'll work.

Thanks for your input.

"Lord give me coffee to change the things I can. And music to accept the things I can't."

Edited once, last by Myzenismusic ().

• Hey, no worries, mate.

Yeah, I suggested tweaking the Definition and lowering Clarity, at the very least, before moving on to EQ, and that includes the Stack EQ.

Did you by any chance have the power-amp gain cranked past 40% on the AC? If so, try Profiling with it set to 30% or below. There's an issue with capturing power-amp gain accurately; it's even outlined in the manual.

• Hey, no worries, mate.

Yeah, I suggested tweaking the Definition and lowering Clarity, at the very least, before moving on to EQ, and that includes the Stack EQ.

Did you by any chance have the power-amp gain cranked past 40% on the AC? If so, try Profiling with it set to 30% or below. There's an issue with capturing power-amp gain accurately; it's even outlined in the manual.

I dialed back Definition and Clarity. It did the trick. Nothing else needed. Thanks man 8)

"Lord give me coffee to change the things I can. And music to accept the things I can't."