Small crackle when recording with SPDIF

• Sync source set to SPDIF.

Using a focusrite saffire pro 24 dsp with logic and mix control software.

Can't hear the crackle when playing through my cab. Crackle appears on recorded audio as well as when monitoring. tried DAW monitoring and Direct Monitoring and still getting a slight crackle.

Gave the SPDIF cables a push to make sure they were connected properly, Seems like they are.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for taking the time to read.

• Just tested it through headphones to see if it was a monitor issue, it's not.

Headphones straight into the kemper and there are no pops. So it's nothing to do with the kemper, more to do with SPDIF and potentially my interface.

Any advice appreciated.,

• David, you said that you "tried DAW monitoring and Direct Monitoring", but did you try recording the KPA "all-analogue" to rule out other potential issues?

Thats the next plan of attack. To be honest I switched everything off, came back the next day and everything is sounding fine. No crackles, which is great

• w-lan module on? I've got crackles from that and it took me some weeks to find that out. I switched of the laptop internal hardware and everything was fine. Have read that some computer have this problem.

• David, you said that you "tried DAW monitoring and Direct Monitoring", but did you try recording the KPA "all-analogue" to rule out other potential issues?

Thats the next plan of attack.

Well, I'm glad I asked; I feared you might think it too-obvious, David.

You can't say there's an issue with S/PDIF unless you've tried the other inputs too 'cause it could be a unit-wide setting / issue, DAW-setting related or even interference as Frank suggested.

• Not at all, mate! Sometimes the best hiding places are the most-obvious locations. Subconsciously you'd have scanned the post for the info not expecting to find anything "useful" in the first sentence... IMHO. 8o

Set Sync Source to Internal.

In case anyone thinks this seems to be out-of-place, CF makes a very-good point.

For the "all-analogue" test I suggested, David would be best served to disable external clocking, then if all sounds fine, enable it once again to see if it was the culprit.

For now it seems the issue has corrected itself somehow, but at least he has this thread to refer to should it arise again.

• Could be, David. Nothing like a reboot to free up RAM; it's more effective than sudo (Terminal) as well as 3rd-party-software purges.

Still, if the crackling returns, hopefully you'll have saved the link to this thread 'cause there were still a couple o' steps outlined that you didn't need to take this time 'round.

• I have the same issue with both kemper stage and AxeFx 3 connected to my Presonus Studio 192 mobile via spdif. I constantly hear random pops & clicks which sound similar to the sound of an old record playing.

Switch clock source on the Focusrite. It needs to slave to the Kemper (i.e., the Focusrite can’t be clock master).

Im kind of new to audio stuff. Obviously Presonus my main recording device. Does switching presonus Clock Source from "internal" to "spdif" can effect me any negative way? Thank you in advance.

• Presonus my main recording device. Does switching presonus Clock Source from "internal" to "spdif" can effect me any negative way? Thank you in advance.

i dont have that audio card,but you can do your test

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio

• I have the same issue with both kemper stage and AxeFx 3 connected to my Presonus Studio 192 mobile via spdif. I constantly hear random pops & clicks which sound similar to the sound of an old record playing.

Im kind of new to audio stuff. Obviously Presonus my main recording device. Does switching presonus Clock Source from "internal" to "spdif" can effect me any negative way? Thank you in advance.

Yes, your Kemper has to be the clock master and your soundcard has to be the slave.

So in your Presonus you have to switch clock source to spdif.

• Spdif out in Kemper is set to "Master"?

Also: set output level of spdif out in Kemper to - 0,3db or something like that to just give your soundcard a bit more headroom