[SOLVED] Profiling Error: No external amp connected or volume too low!

• I truly am testing the limits of my neighbors patience, with even turning up to 11 to profile with this little amp. So I have to profile when I can and quietly if possible.

I have all of the profiles completed, with the sm57, an e906, and the Kemper DI, at volumes 5,7,9 and 11, out of a possible 12 volume settings. I didn't refine any of the profiles, as I didn't want to bias them with SC or HB. The problem is now I have 12 profiles. I'll go through them again and see if all them are worth adding to RM.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Thanks, Mr CK. For many of the amps that I have, it is really essential to have the power amp tubes also working hard in order to get the sounds that these amps are famous for. The preamp tube distortion is only one part of the puzzle.

For example, with a Diezel Vh4, you can set the channel volume high and the master volume low, which will have more preamp than power amp distortion. But I find a better way to get a tone is to set the master volume at 1-2 o’clock and then set the preamp volume at a suitable level.

As Wheresthedug mentioned, the amp that was being discussed sounds best when cranked, so hopefully my advice won’t seem too out there for anyone.

• I definitely understand that the volume level is crucial for power tube distortion, and also to display the authentic original charm of this little 5F1 circuit, with a 4 ohm 8" speaker.

The thing that I'm now finding difficult, is setting the profile volume level, after the profile has been taken. To simplify this, I'll start by saying that anything coming out of the KPA headphone jack sounds Right. Routing and translating it to my DAW, is giving me headroom and clipping problems. I'm aware the Focusrite headphone output is near 16 ohms, and is not on par with a $2k+ AI. Though it's pretty impressive for the price point, and with the right amount of volume, it gets close.

I've tried these profiles set with a flat volume setting, and then set identically to the amazing RMPacheco AC 20 Morgan settings, including the EQ in slot B, as an experiment to see what's possible and if there is a formula. That helped me establish a hackneyed/amateurish baseline of my own misdoings, quickly.

Enough of my jabber, my question is this: should I upload these profiles in their taken state, at reference volume levels, which may bore some out of the box? Or should I pump them up, like the great Hays and RMP and so many others, to make them shine, and only put out the best few? I have 12 profiles, that I tried to be scientific about, so that the cab could be separated, and with a choice of (2) mics, at (4)volume settings, including (4) Kemper DI, is 12 profiles overkill?

Thanks guys.

Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

Edited once, last by JSB ().

• The guitar and pickup have no influence when refining. This is another common misconception.

The place this 'misconception' comes from, is the RM itself:

This is what gives people that impression, that the pickups do in fact influence the profile, else why add that in the notes?

EDIT:Answering my own question - Because the EQ may be set for a particular pickup - regardless of how the original profile was captured or refined. I get it now.

Edited once, last by JSB ().

• Even-more "relevant" is that the EQ on the amp itself would've been set for a particular guitar and pickup type.

I think, logically, that the type field in the Amp-tag section would've been created with this in mind, and that the Rig's name, Rig-comment and Amp-comment fields would be more-appropriate places to specify Stack-EQ or other onboard tweaks 'cause they're "created" after-the-fact, so to speak.