From passive to active FRFR

• I'm about to sell my passive CLR and replace it with an active FRFR solution. I'm doing to this so I can use a small multifx at rehearsal and take it as a backup.

I read lots of threats and here are my options i guess :

active clr neo MkII

Yamaha DXR-10

Redsound LS12

Xitone Mbritt

I like a coaxial design because the sound covers a larger area

Xitone Mbritt needs to be imported from the US so it will cost a lot import taxes and shipping

Yamaha gets a lot of love

Redsound seems to be be best of both worlds FRFR vs traditional cab

I use a 8U 19 inch rack on wheels so the cab will sit on top of this

All suggestions are welcome !

thanks

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• I am also using the RedSound and like it a lot. Perfect solution for me.

What music do you play ? Is it loud enough to use as pure backline without PA ? compared to other systems ?

Thanks

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• Ok , GAS made me take the plunge , just ordered a Red Sound RS-LG12 neo cab ! lightweight and the extra power made me choose the neo version ....

Hope i'll love it

Raf

Edited once, last by Roeffel ().

• I'm doing to this so I can use a small multifx at rehearsal and take it as a backup.

I sold all my amps except for my Rocktron Voodu Valve, which I gigged with for years, precisely for that reason. Always a good idea to keep a spare.

I have a powered head but bought a DXR-10 last week. It hadn't occurred to me until just now that this would also allow me to use the Voodu in a pinch without having to lug along an extra power amp (space in my car is limited).

Looking forward to reports on how you like the RS-LG12!

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• OK it arrived after a long time :)

First impressions : looks really great , weight is perfect , really convenient !

One issue , it seems to be designed to put on the floor so you can get this nice bass respons ... with the clr on the floor it was too boomy , hence I lifted it and the response was fine (also small footprint , cables inside the rackdrawer , patchbay on the back) ...

Can I solve this by just increassing the bass in the output ? it's a reflection thing I suppose !

pics to be addes soon !

Raf

ps : Redsound is an awesome company to deal with , a real craftman with such an honour of his products , really a rare breed ! Just awesome !

• When I was gigging with the Voodu, I had two single 12" Crate / V30 cabs and would run them to the left and right of the drummer. I used x-stands similar to this one to tilt the speakers at a 45 so that the sound would be pointing at my ears and not my ankles.

I don't know if it would be a hassle for you to include an additional stand, but this would get it off the floor for bass reflections and also let you run at lower volume because it's pointing right at you. They don't cost much money and a number of brands make this style.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…w-gtr-amp-combo-amp-stand

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• When I was gigging with the Voodu, I had two single 12" Crate / V30 cabs and would run them to the left and right of the drummer. I used x-stands similar to this one to tilt the speakers at a 45 so that the sound would be pointing at my ears and not my ankles.

I don't know if it would be a hassle for you to include an additional stand, but this would get it off the floor for bass reflections and also let you run at lower volume because it's pointing right at you. They don't cost much money and a number of brands make this style.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…w-gtr-amp-combo-amp-stand

The problem is that the CLR sounds better when lifted , therfore I got a 8U FX rack , flightcase material on wheel to place the clr on top. I added a U rack drawer for cables ... With the clr on top the foorprint stays small !

The RS needs to be on the floor to let the the basses breath , so the rack seems to be redundant (although convenient)

First I had this nice lightweight SKB roto rack 4HE on a Diezel 2x12 , then wanted to benefit from FRFR , got the CLR , the rack was not easy to fit on top , so got a flightcase on wheels , took extra units (8U) so the kemper wouldn't be to close to the floor ... Now with the redsound I should revert to the old solution and put a SKB case on top .... aaarggh

Raf

• First impressions are great, haven't had the chance to test at rehearsals!

Really warm sound, loud , nice punch

The cab is designed to sit on the floor, so the bass comes through nicely, the bass dissappears when lifted. With the clr it was too boomy on the floor, hence the rack on wheels setup

Just got my new SKB shallow 4u rack today, so I can put it on top of the cab instead of the other way around

Compared with the clr, you do feel it's a GRFR which is a good thing , the nasty frequencies are eq'ed out by the speaker it self

Raf

• Mirko is an artisan who works small volumes but he does that with passion.

in the end, I am happy he had my money vs. a bigger company

That's awesome and of course I understand that. I'm in the tough spot where I dug to the bottom of my pockets to already invest in a Kemper alone so another grand isn't going to happen anytime soon ^^

But then that also begs the question.. do I just buy something like an Alto TS212 until then.. or just wait :/

You should record a video of you playing through it!

... I second this!