Ethercon Coupler for Pedalboard

• Howdy folks :)

Amongst other pedals, I've got my KPA Remote velcroed to a big ol' Pedaltrain, and I'm on a mission to make my pedalboard as plug & play as possible before some upcoming shows.

As well as having a Voodoo Labs PP2+ powering my pedals, I installed a 5-way patchbay from GigRig, so connecting everything to the Kemper is a cinch.

Lastly, I'd like to take the stress off the Remote cable, so I'm thinking of installing one of these to the pedalboard, then buying one of these in 25cm to finish the connection.

Has anyone tried this kind of thing?

Alex

• For many reasons I want to relieve the physical force on the KPA socket and built myself a short cable as a temporary solution.

One should note, however, that every connection also has a certain amount of voltage drop.

Therefore the cable to the remote should be rather short. (With me 4 m)

It lasts for almost 3 years now.:)

• Don't simply plug "one of these" with "one of those" together. Please consult the Main Manual chapter PROFILER Remote paragraph Cabling. It emphasizes on the criticality of the Ethernet cable connection to provide sufficient power for the Remote. Don't ignore those hints and don't follow advice provided by risk takers, but use a PoE injector instead. Otherwise you might be experiencing restarts and loss of connections.

• Don't simply plug "one of these" with "one of those" together. Please consult the Main Manual chapter PROFILER Remote paragraph Cabling. It emphasizes on the criticality of the Ethernet cable connection to provide sufficient power for the Remote. Don't ignore those hints and don't follow advice provided by risk takers, but use a PoE injector instead. Otherwise you might be experiencing restarts and loss of connections.

Thanks Burkhard, I already ordered 'one of these' and 'one of those' after seeing that quite a few folks had taken similar approaches but if I have any issues I'll grab the PoE injector. Nothing's going to blow the thing up in the meanwhile, right?

• my kemper is racked, and the only thing I have on the floor is the remote. I was most worried about the stress on the ethernet port on the kemper, so I built a 'patchbay' for mine via redco that includes a 1/4" out (which isn't used yet), USB, XLR L & R, Midi In / Out / Thru and of course, an ethercon coupler. A short cat5e cable from the coupler to the rack, and now my remote plugs into the front.

I'll eventually get a new ethercon cable made up (something that's a little more flexible hopefully, the factory cable is awfully stiff).

Cable selection is incredibly important. A cheap unshielded cable may not do the trick, even in short lengths.

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• Thanks Burkhard, I already ordered 'one of these' and 'one of those' after seeing that quite a few folks had taken similar approaches but if I have any issues I'll grab the PoE injector. Nothing's going to blow the thing up in the meanwhile, right?

Not using a PoE injector won't blow anything. However the Remote could be underpowered. And this could surface at a moment when it hurts most e. g. during a live performance.

Such a Neutrik Ethernet coupler costs 17 $ and a TP-Link Ethernet injector incl. 48 Volt power supply costs 20 $! Such an injector is a coupler which in addition injects power. It can easily replace any Ethernet coupler and makes your setup safe. It's an absolute no brainer!

• Dumb question, but why did the kpa not get designed to deliver the same power as a PoE device and eliminate the need for a PoE injector?

Ethernet was originally designed to go no more than 100m

There's only so much power available at a source as well. I bet the remote is very power hungry. Most Voip phones draw between 1.5 and 8w or so. I'd bet the remote is on the high end of that

• Dumb question, but why did the kpa not get designed to deliver the same power as a PoE device and eliminate the need for a PoE injector?

The PROFILER had been released before the design of the Remote. However, why should every owner afford a capability, which they potentially never need? The PROFILER can be remotely controlled via:

- Remote using one of the original KEMPER Ethernet cables

- analog pedals and switches

- MIDI

• The PROFILER had been released before the design of the Remote. However, why should every owner afford a capability, which they potentially never need? The PROFILER can be remotely controlled via:

- Remote using one of the original KEMPER Ethernet cables

- analog pedals and switches

- MIDI

Fair comments.

I guess there must have been some consideration for a remote from day one, hence the inclusion of the ethernet connection?

There were other functions that were not available in the early days that have now given us some awesome features.

One of the main reasons i chose to invest my money this product (perhaps like many owners) is that it continues to give us more and more as it advances to become a more capable device with every firmware release. And it keeps on coming! So, thank you for a great device that improves with age! Something that can not be said about many products in this digital age.

I think its a clever solution.

The connection not only has to transport signal also incooporate the powersupply for the remote.

The only thing I would criticize is that the socket on the KPA is not really suitable for hard stage condition.

A robust Ethercorn socket would have been a better choice.

Edited once, last by Sharry: Orthograpie ().

• As soon as a PoE injector gets involved - or a PoE switch in case you want to connect multiple Remotes to your PROFILER simultaneously - you could basically use any Ethernet cables up to 300 feet/100 meters.

As soon as the Remote gets connected to a PoE injector/switch with its 48 Volt power supply connected it will start and wait for connection. After a few minutes it will shut down, if there is no PROFILER in the network to connect with.

• Such a Neutrik Ethernet coupler costs 17 $ and a TP-Link Ethernet injector incl. 48 Volt power supply costs 20 $! Such an injector is a coupler which in addition injects power. It can easily replace any Ethernet coupler and makes your setup safe. It's an absolute no brainer!

burkard can you confirm what voltage the remote requires. I notice some PoE units can deliver 5v,9v,12v and you mentioned 48v

• 48 Volt. This is what the Main Manual says:

PROFILER and Remotes should be connected to those ethernet sockets that provide PoE power. Supported are IEEE standard 802.3af-2003 as well as 802.3at-2009 mode A.

ü Be aware that only mode A can be used; mode B is not functional!

Here is a list of equipment we have tested successfully:

PoE injectors:

·      TP-LINK® TL-POE 150S

PoE switches:

·      TP-LINK® TL-SG1008P (8 port gigabit switch with 4 port PoE)

·      Allnet® ALL8085 Switch (8 Port 10/100TX)

·      Intellinet 8-Port Fast Ethernet POE+ Switch (available with 19’’ rackmount)

ü If you are using a POE switch, connect the PROFILER to its PoE ethernet sockets, as well as the Remote(s).

• is it possible to use a POE then lead that to an adapter that can fit in a D-slot so we can rack it?

something like this

I don't see why not, although it remains to be tested since they only have a short list of successfully tested devices. But usually PoE is PoE. You can get some small PoE switches from industrial systems like this one: https://www.westermo.com/products/ethernet-switches/poe - i suggest unmanaged devices for ease of use. If you want to install and forget about it, i would not go for a cheap home use poe switch.

once a purist, then analog pragmatic and finally a digital believer who found out that you can't hear a mosquito fart in a band-context.