what type of headphones work best

• hi guys

I just got my kemper a few weeks ago and im trying to figure it all out.=O

what is a good set of headphones to use that recreate the sound best? there are open back and closed back. I heard the closed back will color the sound. is that's true?

but I have no experience with headphones. whats everyone using and what can you suggest

thanks so much in advance

• The obvious answer is that the better they are, the better they'll work.

I heard the closed back will color the sound. is that's true?

Mine are closed-back and they sound ultra-natural, which is why I bought 'em.

but I have no experience with headphones. whats everyone using and what can you suggest

thanks so much in advance

I use Sennheiser HD25-1, but very few around here do. The most-popular here AFAICT is the Beyer DT range, and they'll be just-fine for you.

I'd only recommend going higher in quality if you're doing serious mixing on them.

Welcome to the forum, mate!

• Absolutely love the sound of my Sennheiser HD600's (open back) #1 recommendation

As a cheaper option I also like the sound of my Grado SR 80's (open back)

Lastly, if you prefer closed back I like the ATH M50x

That said, it's all very subjective...what I would do is take my Kemper to a music store, and try out a bunch of headphones, and take home pair that sound good and will be comfortable, and not to fatiguing for prolonged use.

• Second the HD600. Super natural sound, nothing is overhyped like the Sony MDR-7506 or the DT-770/990 -- never tried the DT-880 but want to.

The only drawback is that, being open back, you need a decent SPL to cover the sound of the strings. It's nice being able to have a normal conversation and hear your surroundings with them on, for the reasons you mention.

• how do the open backs sound compared to the closed back?

I like the idea of the open back so I can hear some back round noise like my phone or my kid yelling for me..lol

I use closed headphones (Shure SRH840, which I liked more than Beyerdynamic DT) for the exact opposite: to NOT hear anything else.

1. You don't hear the clickclack from the plek anymore

2. You don't have to turn up the volume so loud

3. More bass, which is the weakpoint of headphones.

I really would try both types or even get a halfopen one.

• Because its me i would typically say the most high end you can find (to me with music , why compromise, save up if you need too)

I just changed my mind, guess how much the Sennheiser HD 700 is?

I better not say!, i found a couple here with some budget options

https://www.audiophileon.com/n…est-audiophile-headphones

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I have two sets for different reasons.

For a pretty natural sound along with backing tracks etc I use ATH-M50x. They sound great and won’t break the bank.

However, for hearing detail in the guitar itself (but lacking a bit in bass) I really like my Shire SE425 in ears. They sound much more exciting and in your face. They are really clear and detailed in the mids but a bit light in the bass but that’s fine for guitar.

• what type of headphones work best

To answer this question in the simplest way possible: The ones you feel comfortable with, even for hours. The ones you enjoy using not only for your guitar shredding but also to listen to your favourite music. Don't get so-called "high-end" headphones that break the bank, there's plenty of very good headphones in the 100 - 150 Euros range that are VERY popular even in the most sophisticated studios around the world.

• Also keep in mind that a lot of headphones are great for certain uses.

For example, the Sony MDR-7506 is used in studios worldwide. They are a standard in new organizations and field production. They're very good sounding, but have somewhat large spikes at 2k and above. For a noisy in-the-field news environments this works very well, but for guitar, it sounds bright and harsh and your tweaked profiles are going to sound dull on other systems.

The DT-770 is another. They are very mid-forward, closed-back cans that might make them great for live sound where you need the isolation. The DT-990 is super scooped with great lows and an amazing sound stage. They make hip hop, pop, rap, and r&b sound good, but for rock and roll and anything guitar centric the guitars are buried WAY back in the mix because of that mid scoop. The DT-880 is supposed to be in the middle, but I've never used/owned the 880s like I have the 770 and 990.

• Imo, dont worry about the kemper part of it. Just look for headphones that sound good to you with music and are comfortable to wear for long periods. The sky is the limit of you want to go crazy and empty your wallet, but for fair money I like these ones (have owned a far few headphones doing home recording/mixng etc and these are my faves that sound good for both how I use them and for general music listening),

Budget: AKG K240 $69 (semi open back - kept as a spare pair. I really like them all round)

Mid: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro $100 - closed back - used for singers to wear while tracking. Sound good and have great isolation (no mic bleed for recording or annoying of others if used elsewhere) but for me atleast, not the most comfortable to wear for long periods (as in 2+ hrs)

Keepers: Sennheiser HD 650 $320 - open back. What I use every day when not using traditional monitors. Super comfortable, really good all round audio balance and not fatiguing on the eardrums with extended sessions

Live, band practice and travel: 64 Auido A6 inears. $1300 - bought these as I play in a band that are all on IEMs. Sound fantastic, and are crazy comfortable as they are custom molds and save my hearing when near a drummer... but damn they be speeeendy!

For listening to music or jamming on the Kemper, I'm happy to grab whatever pair of the above is closest most of the time.

Hope it helps!

• the beyer dt 990's come in 80 ohm or 250 ohm

whats better for the kemper?

One of the reasons I bought my Sennheiser HD25-1 is that it's only 70Ω, which means it can be driven by practically any headphone amp out there and still provide plenty of level if one needs it.

The only "catch" I can think of if going for a low rating is that the 'phones need to be of sufficient quality to be able to deliver loud signals cleanly. El-cheapo sets with a low resistance rating will tend to break up too-easily with some headphone amps, IMHO. Just depends on the quality of the components.

I'd suggest going for the low-resistance model, if for no other reason than the fact that with the other one you might find you don't get enough level from some amps.

• One of the reasons I bought my Sennheiser HD25-1 is that it's only 70Ω, which means it can be driven by practically any headphone amp out there and still provide plenty of level if one needs it.

This is a really important thought! Some Headphones have "too much" Ω for some devices. Especially the saffire scarlett is infamous for the weak headphone amp>>> it's not loud enough for a big range of headphones. But the Kempers headphone out should be good enough. It's hot as hell.

• Whaaaat whaaat what!, are you saying that the headphone socket is Hot as hell meaning high output?...So if i get a converter for line out (i assume the socket is a line out, dont know) i can run another cab from the headphone socket??

Ow boy if you are....i am not crazy the voices are :)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.