what type of headphones work best

• the beyer dt 990's come in 80 ohm or 250 ohm

whats better for the kemper?

I have two Beyer DT880 which i like very much.
    With the 80 Ohm you will have more volume, but the 250 Ohm is easier to drive (less need for current) for the headphone amp.
    When i bought my first DT880 more than ten years ago, there was only the 250 Ohms one.
    When buying a new DT880 last year for another place, i choose again the 250 Ohms since there has never been one time when i thought the headphone volume was not high enough. I'm writing this with my guitar on my lap and the 250 Ohm cans on my head at home with the Kemper headphone volume set at -28 dB, this is already loud enough for me.

• One of the reasons I bought my Sennheiser HD25-1 is that it's only 70Ω

This gives me opportunity to point out another thought. One of the reasons I would never buy these headphones is the fact that they are on-ear as opposed to over-ear. This means, the HD25 series cup sits on top of your ear conch while many others' cup sits on your skull around the ear conch.

I couldn't wear on-ear headphones for more than 10 minutes before it annoys me. But obviously other people feel different. well, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, it's about individual comfort. :)

• I have a set of the Audio -Technica ATH-M50x that I think sound great with the Kemper. I also have a set of AKG K240's I've had since I bought them new around 1984. Made in Austria. Those still sound pretty amazing with anything.

• I have a set of the Audio -Technica ATH-M50x that I think sound great with the Kemper. I also have a set of AKG K240's I've had since I bought them new around 1984. Made in Austria. Those still sound pretty amazing with anything.

1984? Damn, you've got some use out of those bad boys! Brings up a good point though. Imo, a good set of headphones makes music much more enjoyable and will last you many many years if you treat them nice.

Well worth stretching your budget for a decent and honest sounding pair (and there are many good recommendations in this thread) rather than getting something trendy/hyped (like those god awful "Beats by Dre" things that have somehow sold a bazillion pairs ?)

• Thanks to everyone for your tips, links and tips. They really helped.

after much searching and reading I couldn't take it anymore and just ordered a pair of the Beyer DT 990 pro's open back 250 ohm.

Thanks again for the help!

• Beyer dt 770 250 Ohm here.

These are cool ones for the price , but I must say that I don’t like to play and to tweak with headphones, I prefer my krk rookit rp6 g3 active monitors. Dont need a subwoofer with them and they sound cool at bedeoomlevel too.

• This gives me opportunity to point out another thought. One of the reasons I would never buy these headphones is the fact that they are on-ear as opposed to over-ear. This means, the HD25 series cup sits on top of your ear conch while many others' cup sits on your skull around the ear conch.

I couldn't wear on-ear headphones for more than 10 minutes before it annoys me. But obviously other people feel different. well, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, it's about individual comfort.

I tested a dozen high-end sets at home 20 years ago, and the HD25-1 sounded the most-natural to me, and by quite a margin.

I had to make the call in favour of sound over comfort, but I can tell you that I had no idea how much pain these things would cause me! For many years my ears ached the instant I removed (or moved) them. My solution, after buying new cups and realising they made no difference, was to store them "stretched" by a piece of wood and later a cardboard dictaphone box. It took roughly 7 years for them to be loose-enough for me to wear comfortably!

So... I totally hear ya, Martin. I'm sure you'll understand that I had no choice but to go for sound over comfort within my price range. 'Tis the price we who aim big on a meagre budget pay... :/

mwk555 , that's great, mate. Well done. 8o

• Thanks to everyone for your tips, links and tips. They really helped.

after much searching and reading I couldn't take it anymore and just ordered a pair of the Beyer DT 990 pro's open back 250 ohm.

Thanks again for the help!

Hope you enjoy them. I had a pair of the DT990 Pro for years.

In the end, the Senn HD650 is where I’ve landed for good. I also have a pair of the HD6XX, their Massdrop edition. Comfortable, neutral, but still warm instead of sterile. The highs frequencies are pulled back just enough so that your ears don’t get fatigued (yours ears will get tired with the DT990).

Since it was asked earlier in the thread about closed vs open headphones. Closed headphones obviously have the advantage of blocking outside noise and allowing you to perhaps keep the volume lower in an environment where there’s a lot of background noise. Although I have both, I prefer open backs for one reason, stereo imaging. I love stereo effects in my guitar sounds. Closed headphones sound like I’m listening in a closet, open headphones sound like I’m listening in a big room. That really pairs well with stereo delay and reverb. Definitely a bigger sound.

I’ll also add that I own headphones from as low as 16 and as high as 600 ohms. At the 300-600 mark, you’ll have to turn up the volume a little more. Below that I’ve never had an issue. And my iPhone/iPad can power any of them to comfortable levels.

• I picked up a pair of akg k240s for like 35 bucks about a month ago. I can’t imagine headphones sounding much better than them regardless of pricing. I actually love playing the kemper through them.

With that being said, I’m sure I will splurge on headphones at some point because I have a problem, but I just don’t see much room for improvement.

• Thank you! thanks for the info about the headphones. I hope I like them also. to bad they are a little harsh in the highs. I've been playing loud for a long time so maybe the highs wont seem that bad since my hearing is not what it used to be lol. Maybe I will try the HD650 when I get the extra $ again. ill be sure to post back about how the 990's sound once they arrive. Thanks again to everyone for the help. Great forum and people!

• If leaking noise is not a problem I would always go with open back cans no question.

Comfort for your head is also important.

Open back cans often have higher impendance requiring a decent headphone amp.

The Kemper has a pretty good headphone out and could probably handle these at 37 ohm -

Shure srh1440

If you are able to invest or have a good headphone amp I can highly recommend these -

Shure Srh1840

Before the Srh 1840 I was a fan of the AKG 701/2 combined with headphone amp.

If I need closed back cans I just use a cheap pair of senhieser hd250 out of the kemper headphone out.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Personally, I've used my Sennheiser HD-580 PRO open ear cans for any critical listening I had to do in my old audio days. I have used and continue to use Sennheiser HD 280 PRO closed ear cans for tracking to avoid the previously mentioned sound bleed you get from open ear designs.

IIRC, the HD 600's are a more fine-tuned version of the HD 580 with better matched drivers (though they are the same/similar as what is used in the 580), and a lower-resonance housing.

There is a pretty good comparison review of them against the 650, as well, here:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/…-hd-600-and-hd-650-page-3

Hope that helps,

Jeff... Kemper owner wannabe :)

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Just ordered the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD 6XX, which is basically the HD 650 with a different look (and a smaller price tag). Stoked to try them out. I'm also planning to use them for mixing. Thanks for the recommendations!

• Just ordered the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD 6XX, which is basically the 650 HD with a different look (and a smaller price tag). Stoked to try them out. I'm also planning to use them for mixing. Thanks for the recommendations!

Look up how to stretch the headband if it clamps a little tight. Otherwise, enjoy! They will become like your favorite hat that just feels right when you wear them.