More flexble expressin pedal control of CC

• I love the KPA and I love the Remote. I think the Morph function is a work of pure genius. However, the ONE that’s ng I would love (way more than new swanky reverbs or an iPad editor) is the ability to assign an expression pedal to a single function (probably using Midi CC although a 2nd layer of morphing would be even more powerful).

Here’s an example of what I mean.

People who play in touring bands with a fixed set list for the night that doesn’t get changed once the gig starts can happily set up a list of performances and step through them in order without issues. However, many players like myself use a limited number of performances for a whole gig with only the odd “speciality” sound for specific songs. When plauying in club/function/wedding type gigs the set list is totally flexibe and can change at any time the singer decides (somtimes even mid song 8|). If ketimes when played ng in an improvisational type genre (jazz, blues, some rock etc) the things that other people play cause me to want to change my sound in response to where the music is going at that moment in time.

I don’t program a different rig for every single song and every part of each song. I rock fairly “old skool” with a few great amp profiles and change things in real time. I ride the guitar volume for cleaner and dirtier sounds much of the time rather than program 20 different versions of essentially the same sound. I don’t use many timed delays but do like a little delay to add body without interfering with the basic sound. However, the amount of delay mix (or reverb mix) that I want/need may change depending on what is going on around me at any given time. I want to ride the delay mix throughout the night in real time the way I do with the guitar volume. Basically the sort of thing guys like Andy Timmons do all the time.

So what is the problem? Surely I can just to that with Morphing? Yes, unless I have morphong assigned to something else.

At the moment it is possible to assign wah > volume or wah > pitch. Volume has its own pedal type. I virtually never use a volume pedal or pitch pedal but I use Delay mix ALL the time. I can’t see ANY logical reason to limit the special pedal types to Volume or the shared pedal functionality to just Wah and Pitch.

It should be super easy to add the ability to assign a fixed CC to any of the pedal inputs so that if a a rig has say a delay active that pedal automatically controls delay mix. Ideally I would only have 2 pedals (one for morph and ne for Wah > delay mix) but a bigger setup might include separate Wah, Morph and Delay mix.

• In order to understand the full scope of your request...

Originally you were mentioning Reverb Mix, which doesn't seem to be part of your final request. Is that what you intend to use Morphing for? Or is this a third pedal? How many pedals were you using before the PROFILER and for which purposes?

How are you intending to switch between Wah and Delay Mix functionality? I guess, without Rig change.

• Hi Burkhard. Before the Kemper I was using 2 pedals. One for Wah and one for Delay Mix. My Mesa Boogies didn't have Morphing ;) I currently have two pedals assigned but would add a third pedal if I could assign it as required.

In my own case I would be happy with just assigning a pedal permanently to Delay Mix and achieving anything else via morphing. Although I am asking about this because I really want it, the reason I mentioned Reverb previously was purely to illustrate the range of possibilities which others may require. I don't add all the ideas I have to the Feature request forum because I understand that Kemper needs to plan development and prioritise things which are likely to be of use to many users rather than just me. I don't use much Reverb; when I do it is generally just a hint of Hall (although I would dump than in a heart beat for a good plate reverb ;)). Therefore, real time control of reverb isn't a big thing for me. However, lots of people probably use Reverb the way that I use delay.

My suggestion is simply to allow pedals to be able to send whatever CC numbers (or NRPN) a user wants. Think of it like "liberalisation" of the EXP sockets. For a long time Kemper felt that the Reverb should only be available be at the end of the chain. Now it seems this will soon be able to go anywhere. I can't see why the pedals should be restricted to only Morph, Volume, Wah and Pitch. Three of those seem pretty relevant (even though I personally don't have much use for a volume pedal) but to my mind Pitch is a pretty niche effect to have it's own pedal type.

Switching between Wah and Delay isn't essential to my requirements. I was just thinking aloud and thought you guys might come up with something even more amazing that I hadn't yet considered :) However, if I was to use Wah and Delay Mix on the same pedal I would use the toe switch in my Mission EXP pedal to toggle back and forth between them. As I say though, that idea is not the main point of the request. The main point is simply the ability to assign any function/CC to any pedal input and have this independent of the main morphing function. It just seems like a sensible "no brainer" to me.

• Regarding linking Wah and Delay Mix to one expression pedal, please be aware that the toe switch cannot be used to switch between pedal assignments (there could be more than two), but switch an effect module on/off. You would be controlling Wah and Delay Mix simultaneously. Probably not what you need. As soon as you are sharing one pedal for multiple purposes you can hardly avoid switching Rigs or at least toggle groups of effect modules e. g. via Effect Buttons of the Remote in order to effectively separate pedal functions. There is no switch to toggle pedal assignments. If you wanted to use one expression pedal connected to your RJM MIDI foot controller for multiple purposes, you would probably also need to load another RJM preset in order to switch from assignment CC# n to assignment CC# m, or not? You can probably not switch the pedal assignment within the same RJM preset.

If you would really want to invest and afford floor space for a third expression pedal, we could consider making Delay Mix available as another pedal controller. However, I must admit I don't understand, why you cannot simply clone the Performances with the few sounds you need and just store these sounds with different levels of Delay Mix e. g. Performance 1 low Delay Mix, Performance 2 medium Delay Mix, Performance 3 high Delay Mix. Then you navigate to the Performance with the appropriate Delay Mix (Performance Load set to "Keep Slot") and have a Wah Pedal and Morph Pedal for other interventions.

• Regarding linking Wah and Delay Mix to one expression pedal, please be aware that the toe switch cannot be used to switch between pedal assignments (there could be more than two), but switch an effect module on/off. You would be controlling Wah and Delay Mix simultaneously.

2 things spring to mind.

Firstly, sharing two controls on a single pedal isn’t the crux of the request (just a logical extension)

Secondly, why would it not be possible to let the newly assigned CC feature work in the same way as Wah > volume or Wah > Pitch (neither of which are of any use to me. Nearly all my rigs have a Wah locked in Stomp A but not active by default. This means the wah pedal convers to a redundant volume. When I stemp the footswitch (which is permanently assigned to Toggle Stomp A on/off) the wah becomes active. I only have one foot available for pedal use unless I am sitting down ^^. Therefore, when the wah is active and being used I can’t be adjusting Delay Mix at the same time so having the pedal switch to Wah would work in that situation.

However, as I mentioned the main thing is to be able to assign specific controllers to a particular pedal connection n addition to wah and morph.

• It is actually good news, that the current pedal links appear intuitive and straight forward from a user point of view. However, the logic behind is quite complicated. We try to prevent logical conflicts, circular links, and accidental parameter jumps. What if you lose volume pedal control while the pedal is in heel position? What if you lose pitch pedal control while your pedal is in mid position? What if Morphing and volume could be linked to the same pedal and Morphing is always ready to accept parameter entry for Morph Sound while the pedal rests in toe position? Opening these pedal links for total flexibility could create all kinds of odd scenarios. I also foresee varying needs in terms of what should happen during a Rig change: Should the assigned parameters' values be maintained, should these be reset to toe or to heel values? We don't want to create a beast for the whole user community because of your Delay Mix application.

Morphing is also no solution for your specific Delay Mix application as it always defaults to Base Sound during Rig changes.

You are ready to afford a third dedicated expression pedal for Delay Mix. You could simply acquire a MIDI box, assign MIDI control change #68 to it, and connect to the MIDI IN of the PROFILER. That can coexist with your Remote and does exactly, what you are looking for. You have permanent foot control over Delay Mix and the current value survives Rig/Slot changes.

https://www.thomann.de/de/midi…dal_to_midi_converter.htm

• I take your point about logical confilcts and I am very grateful that you and the rest of the team at Kemper have done such a great job of making sure things works without them.

I also take your point about using the Midi Solutions box but that is A) an additional £100+ AND extra cables to and from the KPA as there is no Midi sockets on the Remote. One of the best features of the remote is the ability to have just one cable running from KPA to front of stage. Less mess, less to trip over, let to go wrong and quicker set up/strip down.

I really appreciate you taking the time to engage in this conversation. As I have always said, I love the KPA and the Remote. However, simply allowing the pedal sockets to be assigned MIDI CC without the need for an external box would be the best of all worlds with no down side that I can see.

• Hi, first post

+1 for delay mix control. I've only just bought my Kemper and haven't even plugged in an expression pedal yet, but I assumed I would be able to control any parameter with it, as I could with my tc g force (which I just sold). Honestly, delay mix was the only thing I used the pedal for. What's wrong with just allowing any parameter to be controlled by a pedal and let the artist decide whether it's useful or not?

Cheers Ben

• Ben what I’m suggesting is a little different than saying you can’t control delay mix. At the moment you can control pretty much any parameter using the Morph function which is an amazing tool and I’m sure will do most things you might want. You can control multiple parameters from a single pedal using Morphing. However, you can’t control them independently at the moment. You can for example have delay mix increase AND feedback reduce simultaneously. However, what I would like to be able to do is adjust them independently of each other (i’m only using those two parameters as an wxample by the way). So for example I might have Delay Mix assigned to a midi CC and ride the level as required in every song but use morphing to control delay feedback for a special effect in one song but gain plus a mid boost in another song. At the moment I would need to set it up so that riding the delay mix would also raise the gain and create a mid boost simultaneously or set up a different rig for the gain/mid boost.

• I’d like to have two expression pedals plugged into the Kemper remote, one for volume and one for delay mix. I did like these to be active on every preset. I don’t care if I recall a preset and the pedal isn’t in the correct position. I’d usually set this up with volume pedal going from 0-100% and the delay going from 0-150% meaning off in the min position.

Are you saying there isn’t a way to do this currently? I definitely don’t want three presets for each profile with different delay levels. I just want to assign expression pedal two to a parameter of my choosing but I’d use delay mix 95% of the time.

These profiles go to 11!

• Guavadude it is possible to do what you want easily at the moment. Volume have its own pedal type so you can assign a pedal to vontrol just volume. Delay Mix can be controlled be a second pedal using the Morph function.

However, In my case I don’t use a volume pedal. i didnkt use one for 30+ years with my Boogies so it isn’t something I have any need for now even though the Kemper can provide one. On the other hand I do like to ride the delay mix in real time. So my options are currently

1) control delay mix with morphing but that ties up morphing so I can’t use it for anything else

2) add a separate midi box and pedal with additional cost and cable tangle

3) get over it and accept the limitations of not having access to delay mix as an expression pedal

In the manual, Kemper give the example of an all singing all dancing configuration with 4 pedals. However, thhese must be assigned to Wah, Pitch, Volume and Morphing. I just can’t understand how Pitch and Volume are so important that they require a dedicated pedal type but it isn’t possible to simply assign a Midi CC to any of the 4 pedal sockect on the remote.

• Well I need a volume pedal and a delay level but a pitch pedal is something I’d never use. Wah is used occasionally.

I haven’t run into the delay mix issue yet since I’ve only used the Kemper in the studio and prefer to use DAW delay plugins while tracking for ease of punch in/outs. But I agree completely with the request to freely assign a pedal to a parameter globally without the need for additional hardware, especially since there are multiple expression jacks on the remote already.

Sometimes it seems like the Kemper philosophy is that they decide how much flexibility in design the user needs. With digital products I don’t really see the advantage to pre determined limitations. Interesting and creative approaches are often a result of using products in ways they aren’t intended.

These profiles go to 11!

• Having the added flexibility using multiple expression pedals with the Remote would be great improvement. I'd like to have Remote more on par compared to utilizing some external MIDI equipment and still have the 'single cable connection' advantage.

There are good ideas and comments, but was thinking somewhat different approach that don't fit under the thread title anymore so perhaps it'll be better to create a new thread instead.

• Hi !

It's not exactly on your request, Alan, but it's related somehow...

my precise point is this : I have only one pedal (and don't want more) I'll use it occasionally, but I want this single pedal to do everything I want without unplugging/replugging it. But since "There is no way to combine Morph and Volume Pedal as this would imply logical conflicts"(ref manual) it appears that my pedal cannot be volume in one performance, and morphing in another one. Anything that I misunderstood?

And to participate to the discussion here (if I dare) : I Just got my KPA head+controler recently, so I'm not super competent with all these settings. But the way it's done (assigning globally pedals to dedicated tasks, with logical conflicts restrictions, and auto-cancellation of certain assignments in some cases, but two assignments working simultaneaously in other cases...) makes the things difficult to understand for me, and even according to Burkhard in this thread, it would be good news that it appears intuitive to users...I'm among the users that don't cary good news, sorry for that;)

Don't know if things can be changed or even if it's worth doing it, but I'd have expected the KPA to be more straightforward, for instance by allowing, PER RIG, to assign a certain pedal number [1 to 6] to a certain effect type [morph, wah, vol, pitch, etc..]. Or even to any continuous parameter (and for that there's a good idea from JuLai in his thread Controlling morphing with multiple expression pedals . Its more complex but the logic sounds straightforward to the user that I am)