Using Kemper for pitch changes

• I'm just looking for a straight-forward answer because I can't seem to find one.. and having trouble figuring this out.

Can you use the Kemper for actual changes to tuning like say my Digitech Drop pedal to drop semitones? (Maybe even go up tunings?)

And can you use it like a whammy for dive bombs to say an octave lower? I listen to a band in which the guitar player says he uses his Kemper to do it.

I just cannot for the life of me figure it out!

Trying to decide if I still need that drop pedal which is why I'd like to know an answer to my first question.

Hope I'm not pulling teeth with this one and thanks ahead of time!

• Yes, definitely. A couple of semitones up or down with the transpose pedal (before the amp section) will sound very good. Dive bombs are absolutely possible as well with the pedal pitch stomp.

The only thing you can't do is pitch shift individual strings, you need special pickups for that.

• Yes, definitely. A couple of semitones up or down with the transpose pedal (before the amp section) will sound very good. Dive bombs are absolutely possible as well with the pedal pitch stomp.

The only thing you can't do is pitch shift individual strings, you need special pickups for that.

Oh yeah it would just be full tunings not worried about individual strings! I've only gotten a chance to scope the stomps and whatnot for a very short time. any chance you know exactly what pitch pedal I should be looking for? I remember seeing a few.

• The best way to do it is using the Transpose knob in the RIG configuration. That way you dont waste a stomp slot.

Just press button RIG and turn the knob Transpose. Each step is a semitone.

I did a head to head comparison with the Drop pedal. They both work pretty similar. Good for distorted tones. Not so good for clean. I decided to return the Digitech Drop pedal to the shop after the test because it didn't give anything better for my use than the Kemper itself. That is, going down from drop D to drop C for just a song in our set using a gainy Mesa profile.

• The best way to do it is using the Transpose knob in the RIG configuration. That way you dont waste a stomp slot.

Just press button RIG and turn the knob Transpose. Each step is a semitone.

I did a head to head comparison with the Drop pedal. They both work pretty similar. Good for distorted tones. Not so good for clean. I decided to return the Digitech Drop pedal to the shop after the test because it didn't give anything better for my use than the Kemper itself. That is, going down from drop D to drop C for just a song in our set using a gainy Mesa profile.

Thank you! That's awesome. I found the cleans on the drop pedal to be decent. Glad to hear you did the research and it's much appreciated :)

• I came to ask this very question! My band has a song in C tuning and the strings are just too floppy for me, not to mention having to take a different guitar for just one song. I figured it'd be able to do it. Can't wait to try it!

• I use this function regularly to detune a semitone. The other guitarist uses a drop pedal and its comparable...

I have also used it for dive bombs ( intro for Lonely boy - Black Keys, Killing in the name of - Rage)..

• Right! I forgot that transpose is now a Rig function in the latest firmware. It used to be available as a separate stomp only.

The only downside with this is that "smooth chords" is not available in the rig version.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I use this function regularly to detune a semitone. The other guitarist uses a drop pedal and its comparable...

I have also used it for dive bombs ( intro for Lonely boy - Black Keys, Killing in the name of - Rage)..

After using it a few times I thought the Drop pedal sounded better. I used it in the rig function though and maybe it sounds better as a stomp perhaps?

How did you set it up for dive bombs?

• You may want to check out this video, Kamelot guitarist Thomas Youngblood does this very thing with the Kemper. He uses different transpose from song to song to get to their exotic tunings. The transpose discussion starts around the 6 min mark:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• You may want to check out this video, Kamelot guitarist Thomas Youngblood does this very thing with the Kemper. He uses different transpose from song to song to get to their exotic tunings. The transpose discussion starts around the 6 min mark:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I feel like I can learn a lot from these videos. I wish Kemper would have their artists go more in depth about how they use them for different things. That could help a lot of us!

• I feel like I can learn a lot from these videos. I wish Kemper would have their artists go more in depth about how they use them for different things. That could help a lot of us!

Maybe Thomas is not an endorsee and simply bought his Kemper.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• After using it a few times I thought the Drop pedal sounded better. I used it in the rig function though and maybe it sounds better as a stomp perhaps?

How did you set it up for dive bombs?

Personally I think its comparable, the drop pedal might have the edge but not worth it for the cost/additional gear etc.

To set up for dive bomb, use with an expression pedal. I set it to drop from concert down 2 octaves when I pedal back...

• I did a gig with some bagpipes and had to tune to Eb with the KPA in the rig section. It worked a treat and saved the agonies of de-tuning with a floating trem but very strange if you can hear your open strings. Also, it’s in a performance so I have to take care not to accidentally select that one on a normal gig

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• Personally I think its comparable, the drop pedal might have the edge but not worth it for the cost/additional gear etc.

To set up for dive bomb, use with an expression pedal. I set it to drop from concert down 2 octaves when I pedal back...

Thank you! I'm actually having trouble getting my expression pedal to calibrate.. Does it need to be in a certain input for it to work? I've watched the tutorial video 10 times and doing it the same way.

• No it doesn;t but you do have to set the right pedal type. It's been sometime since I set it up so can't remeber excatly how to do it, but I think you need to set the pedal type to pitch and then calibrate...

Someone else here might remeber the exact settings, else I'll have a look next tim emy Kemper is out...

Check you are using an expression pedal with a trs cable..

• it's the Mission expression pedal so it's definitely the right one. I'm using a patch cable from my old board so it's definitely a TRS too. I could've sworn you only need to hook it to output 1 into the Kemper board. I'd feel dumb if I was missing something easy :D

• it's the Mission expression pedal so it's definitely the right one. I'm using a patch cable from my old board so it's definitely a TRS too. I could've sworn you only need to hook it to output 1 into the Kemper board. I'd feel dumb if I was missing something easy :D

I have a Mission EP1 RJM which I always thought was crap and wouldn’t calibrate. I had it set to Type 1 which the manual suggests works for most normal expression pedals. I figired they would include mission as “normal”. Anyway, i eventually changed pedal to Type 2 in the system menu and all of a sudden it worded perfectly. Try that and see how you get on.