U2 Streets Have No Name

• All,

I have long wanted to have a good (really honestly good) replication of the sound Edge gets on "Streets Have No Name".

I have tried several of the rigs on rig manager and never really got that sound I hear so well on the song..... so I decided to do some research and work to get it right.

You can all find the results up on the rig manager under the label "U2 Streets".

Details:

I started with a rig from rig manager from Ryan Baker which is called "U2 Still Haven't Found". This had a pretty good VOX AC 30 (no cab). I turned the cab on.

From the research I did, here is what is needed to get this sound (which I think is pretty well replicated in this rig).

The song is played with a single coil strat using the bridge and center pickups (2nd position on the PUP selector) into a VOX AC 30.

A compressor is placed first in the chain.

The way Edge did this was to first go into a slap delay. The output of the slap delay was sent to 2 different delay engines. I used a delay time of 100ms with 50% mix for this using the single delay module.

For the 2 delay's, I utilized a dual delay in the KPA. The first delay was set to 524mSec, and the 2nd delay was set to 350mSec (this is the primary delay). The mix between these two delay's was set heavily in favor of the primary delay, and the feedback was higher on the primary delay than on the secondary delay (33% vs 6%) and the mix between the 2 delays was set to (31.6%) so that the longer delay was pretty much just a single slap after each strum while the primary delay echoed out about 3 times.

Finally, a hall reverb was added at the end of this chain with a predelay of 160, time 4.2 Sec. Mix was set at 25.5%

Please give it a try and let me know what you think. I spent a couple of days coming up with this recipe. Hopefully it works for more than just my ears :)

• No I haven't. I did note that Edge used it as his slap delay and preamp prior to the break out to stereo into the TC 2290'S that then ran into a pair of VOX AC30's.

From the videos I have seen and pictures, it looks like he close mics the cabs with an SM58 which is a cardioid pattern microphone which will pickup quite a bit from the sides. The side pickup of the other amp gives you a little wash between the delays.

There is a really nice write up on it here: http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/index.html

I found the theory in the article to be sound, but the clips were not that well done as the amp was too clean (as is mine for that matter. I might add a bit of grit to both the delay and the gain on the Vox to get a little dirt too).

Let me know how it sounds to you if you have a chance.

• Can't wait to try this. Will do tommorow

I look forward to the critique :) Perhaps we can tweak this as a group and get a really good "Streets" rig.

Most of them I have ever seen don't have the slap or the 2nd 524mSec delay in parallel to the main delay.... just the 350mSec main delay .... which is certainly the base of the rig, but without the nuances .... it just doesn't quite hit the mark.

I think this could be done with tap delay timing as well, but I wasn't sure how to get the 9/32. The main delay is a dotted eighth (3/16ths) which is easy to get.

• If you are keen to play U2, have a look at this guys site - he uses Axe Fx, but is a great site to learn about U2 songs and settings

http://www.u2guitartutorials.com