An example of the finesse/touch of a great tube amp that I hope to re-produce with my KPA...

• Baked Potato club live

Although this video was recorded from an iPhone and is rather compressed and guitar-heavy, it gives a fair example of the kind of touch and response I like from my amps & effects. A lot of the guitar solo was played with my fingers (bare flesh on the strings, since I keep my nails very short), and you can hear how sensitively the 'rig' responds to both soft and hard attacks. This is what I am seeking with my Kemper, and it is no small order for any such device! This was recorded about 6 months ago at the Baked Potato in N. Hollywood - the bassist is the amazing Abraham Laboriel Sr.

All modelers known to man 8o

• Nice playing all around!

It's likely the nature of the way the recording was captured, but I am reminded of the Lab amps from years ago. You had to teak them to get the compressor just right, or they sound super squeezed. When it was just right, it was sweet for clean single note work.

Nice tone. I can see how that would be a good one to have on tap.

Paul

• Thanks for the kind words guys....It especially means a lot coming from the toneful Mr. Ruppert! ^^

Btw: I was playing through a GT-10 into my '65 Super-Reverb amp.

• Hi Radley,

thanks for posting this. Really fantastic playing and superb tone. I think I hear some very intricate high harmonics in that sound, a very nice overdrive in the highs.

I would think you could get very close with the Kemper to that sound.

I am able to get those very nice harmonics from my own profiles with a bit eq tweaking. The way the cabinet is miced is very important I think to get a great sound. Please do not misunderstand that for example my profiles will work for everyone else. I forgot if you have profiled your own amps or the amp you used in the video yet, but I would strongly encourage you to take your time with micing.

I used a small soundproof room in the studio for making the profiles. The SM57 went into a high-priced preamp (brand escapse me right now, but it is a tube preamp). So I think the whole signal chain is important and I personally think a rather "dead" room is beneficial. I have yet to try other mics, maybe a U47 for profiling, we will see....

I tend not to tweak with the amp parameters or the cabinet parameters, only with the EQ.

I will try to post soundclip using my 70s ODS clone with very little OD to show you what I mean with the treble harmonics.

Again, thanks for posting this. I think this type of thread is very interesting and I am sure you will be able to arrive at the sound you had on that night.

Dote

• Hi Radley,

here is a very short snippet I recorded some seconds ago. I used my ODS Clean 70s Profile and a Tokai Love Rock loaded with WCRs ( me thinks you used a LP style guitar).

Please excuse my sloppy playing, I tried to take up the idea of your first riff, sort of. I used fingerpicking on the neck humbucker until 0:24, then switched to pick. At 0:10 I turn up the volume on the neck PU, at 0:37 I switch to Bridge PU and turn up the volume. At 0:52 I switch back to neck pu, fingerpicking.

My profile has (as opposed to the amp you used in the vid) much more mids going, the cabinet is a 2x12 G1265, so it of course sounds quite different from your SuperReverb with 4x10s, I wanted to show that you can get great dynamics and some very nice harmonics with the Kemper. No post-recording fx or eqing, interface is a Focusrite Saffire into Logic Xpress, then wav out.

Looking forward to your feedback. I will try to profile my Vibroverb Clone next weekend having a 1x12 Jensen Neodym. Maybe this will get closer to what you want.

Delay and Reverb on this track are from the Kemper. I did not use any compression on the Kemper even though the clip you posted has of course a lot of compression from iPhone and Youtube.

Cheers,

Dote

http://soundcloud.com/dominikt…-phattcleanods70s/s-yeG1N

Can not get the link to insert as link btw....

Edited once, last by Dote ().

• Hi Radley,

so would that be the type of dynamics you are looking for?

Sorry I can not read much out of your comment, the "friendly" part I do not understand, please elaborate.

Dote

Edited once, last by Dote ().

• Sorry - The 'friendly' description means it has some warmth and a musical attack... all good things for this type of sound/song - I was saying it is a nice sound. ^^

Words start to become meaningless when we talk about subtleties of tone/touch - that's why I posted this clip. As far as the nature and expressiveness of the tone, it is captured pretty accurately in this clip. The compression was intentionally strong, but the iPhone probably added a bit more - I love tasty, musical compression, and it's one of the main reasons I have used GT processors for most of the last 15 years.

• Hadley, the tone, playing, everything is just beautiful.

Obviously you're just using the GT-10 for effects, and possibly the GT-10 compressor, correct?

Have you tried the Tom Hemby Bad Cat profiles...I'm hearing that kind of tone in your clip?

• Lance - Yes, the GT-10 was supplying the clean compression (the best imo) and chorus, delay and reverb, but the Super-Reveb amp has always been magic for my touch & approach to playing. I believe I also have a clip of me using the GT-10 overdrive on a blues tune, but it stops before the solo really gets going :wacko: I'll see if I can find it...

• Hadley - Do you have the 'Legacy' Profiles?
    For me they're the 'smoothest' Profiles I've tried...they have a very creamy like distortion and smooth high end.
    Give them a try.
    Thanks to Eric Stam for sharing them.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/551117…0-%20G%20LEGACY414HG2.zip

Thanks - I will try those ^^ Right now, I seem to be getting the smoothest results from the KPA by adding a bit of amp compression & then adding a bit more attack with the pick parameter, but I never run either setting more than 1.0 8) Now that I have downloaded that huge bundle of profiles & cabs, I'm finding more stuff that suits my style...