About to buy my first Kemper...

• UPDATE: After being backordered for a week, the Kemper arrived yesterday. Got a killer deal at Guitar Center by trading in one of my guitars I barely play anymore plus taking advantage of a 10% discount deal they had. So altogether, the Kemper plus the HS80s ran me a little over $1500. I'll take that any day!

Just plugged it in and it sounds AMAZING. Going to spend the rest of day noodling through the factory rigs to find my favorite 80s metal/classic rock tones...

Don't have it running through the laptop yet. Still need a special cable (2 1/4" to mini jack) which should be here Monday. But so far I'm loving this thing. Appreciate all the help!

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Best price ever on a Kemper, congrats!

Look for the rig CORPSE on Rig Exchange by Deadlight Studios. One of the best high gain profiles ever, we use it all the time for those 80 songs from Judas through Def Leppard to Poison.

• Best price ever on a Kemper, congrats!

Look for the rig CORPSE on Rig Exchange by Deadlight Studios. One of the best high gain profiles ever, we use it all the time for those 80 songs from Judas through Def Leppard to Poison.

Man that IS a killer profile. Thanks for pointing me towards it. One thing, though...sounds a little clipped on my end, even with the noise gate at zero. Something I'm missing here as far as a setting? Still trying to find my way around that interface...

• One thing, though...sounds a little clipped on my end, even with the noise gate at zero. Something I'm missing here as far as a setting?

Not sure, hopefully some of the local experts will chime in. I don't hear it clipped, one thing you could try is lower the gain a little and see if that makes a difference (it should not).

The Kemper is really really good in lowering the gain on profiles (as it also does low signal level / volume profiling when it does its thing), not quite as good cranking the gain up.

Also could try to play with the Rig Volume knob to see if that helps.

• Man that IS a killer profile. Thanks for pointing me towards it. One thing, though...sounds a little clipped on my end, even with the noise gate at zero. Something I'm missing here as far as a setting? Still trying to find my way around that interface...

Are you using an audio interface or hooked up direct?

• If you hear the clipping even with headphones, you could try to turn the master volume down (by default it is linked to the headphones as well).

Also, check the manual starting page 76, there may be an output level set too high.

• Update: Still sort of "wrestling" with this thing to try and make it work the way I need it to. TRS direct into the monitors sounds great for guitar. But trying to run the computer audio into the Return and Alternative inputs (as shown in a diagram previously in this thread) and using the Kemper as an interface was less than stellar. Muffled, low quality, etc. Fiddled with the input selectors and whatnot but no difference. So I decided to go a different way, using the TRS directly from my computer into the monitors (using an adapter) and buying a couple of XLR cables to go from Kemper to monitors. Should work, right? Well, the computer sound is fine, but I can barely get a signal from my guitar now. I have to literally turn the Master volume all the way up to even hear it. Again, fiddled with input switches but nothing changed. I'm really scratching my head here. Bad cable(s)? Bad outputs? Or am I missing something so simple it boggles the mind?

• Are you sure you can use both the TRS and XLR on the monitors simultaneously? Try unplugging the TRS and see if the monitors get louder with the Kemper.

If it is the same regardless, check the Kemper manual output section. You may have the volume knob unlinked and master volume set to a low dB value. (This is normal as usually the main outs go to the FOH with at a fixed volume.)

• You are correct--according to the monitors manual, only one input can be used at a time. Bummer...I was hoping to hear both my computer audio and the guitar signal through the same monitors.

So if I went with an interface, could I get around that somehow? Trying to figure the inputs/outputs in my head but it's getting all jumbled together...

• Of course, mate.

You'll be able to route the KPA's outs to the main-stereo feed that you connect to your monitors, and that'll carry the computer's audio along with it.

This is achieved with onboard-mixing software that resides in interfaces (set up from the front panel and / or via a utility that gets installed on your 'puter when you install the drivers for it).

• Welcome to the forum! Good studio monitors are great for a small space.

Yeah jbird5150! Welcome! Perhaps little late but I'm very happy with my 2 Neumann KH 120A

they also have a subwoofer (105 series I think). Now owned by Sennheiser as far as I know...

You've bought into a really great sound system that you won't wanna leave. :thumbup::)

Cheers!

Jim

• Of course, mate.

You'll be able to route the KPA's outs to the main-stereo feed that you connect to your monitors, and that'll carry the computer's audio along with it.

This is achieved with onboard-mixing software that resides in interfaces (set up from the front panel and / or via a utility that gets installed on your 'puter when you install the drivers for it).

Thanks--just pulled the trigger on one. Should be here by Tuesday. :)

• You are correct--according to the monitors manual, only one input can be used at a time. Bummer...I was hoping to hear both my computer audio and the guitar signal through the same monitors.

So if I went with an interface, could I get around that somehow? Trying to figure the inputs/outputs in my head but it's getting all jumbled together...

Hmmm...

Look at this from the manual... Especially the last sentence

RETURN and ALTERNATIVE INPUT (4)

The ALTERNATIVE INPUT can be used as a rear-side guitar input, which is especially convenient for the Rack, and PowerRack models. The parameter “Input Source” needs to be set accordingly in the Input Section.

The RETURN is available as balanced TRS or XLR input. While it plays a key role during PROFILINGTM, as explained in the chapter Taking a PROFILE, it can also be used in combination with the DIRECT OUTPUT/SEND to loop in external equipment. In combination, RETURN and ALTERNATIVE INPUT can function as a pair of stereo returns. Details can be found in the Effect Loops chapter.

Both the RETURN and the ALTERNATIVE INPUT can also be used as auxiliary inputs. You could, for instance, use this feature to mix in music from your mp3-player and play along. You will find the corresponding mix controls in the Output Section.

• Never fear, Dave; it's his monitors' inputs he's talking about, not the KPA's. All that work on your part for nicks, you poor chap. ;(8o

So I decided to go a different way, using the TRS directly from my computer into the monitors (using an adapter) and buying a couple of XLR cables to go from Kemper to monitors. Should work, right? Well, the computer sound is fine, but I can barely get a signal from my guitar now. I have to literally turn the Master volume all the way up to even hear it. Again, fiddled with input switches but nothing changed.

• Never fear, Dave; it's his monitors' inputs he's talking about, not the KPA's. All that work on your part for nicks, you poor chap. ;(8o

:thumbup:

All good brother. Still seems to me that Jbird could get what he needs with the KPA alone. That being said, an interface is a great thing to have!