Fuzzy sound with headphones

• Hey guys. So I am just setting up my new kemper (latest software installed) and one of the things I noticed is that it sounds really fuzzy through headphones, I tried tweaking EQ and the headphones space but it still sounds fuzzy. I'm not sure if the input has any deal with it because when I played it sounds fuzzy the input will turn red a few times which I'm assuming means that the signal is too hot, is that maybe why the headphones sound fuzzy? But even on a clean channel they still have a fuzz sound to them. Also, (i know I know I know. ) I am using beats stuido headphones. Are they possibly to blame? Any help is Appreciated. Thanks :)

• So I plugged in a pair of skull Candy headphones I had got for free (again I know I know) and they sounds ridiculously better. Based off of this. Any advice on which headphones sound great for the Kemper? The cheaper the better :)

• Wouls those monoprice headphones be better than audio Technica ath m50x? $17 for a pair of headphones freaks me out. That just sounds like they I'll be cheap, are they comparable to anything?

• Wouls those monoprice headphones be better than audio Technica ath m50x? $17 for a pair of headphones freaks me out. That just sounds like they I'll be cheap, are they comparable to anything?

'Better' is a very fragile term anyway.

For cheaper yet quality sounding headphones I always recommend the

Superlux HD-681

https://www.thomann.de/de/superlux_hd681.htm

They are ridiculously great sounding. Of course they won't last as long as an ATH-M50 X (which I also own) but I always have 3-4 pairs of them in my household.

• Hey guys. So I am just setting up my new kemper (latest software installed) and one of the things I noticed is that it sounds really fuzzy through headphones, I tried tweaking EQ and the headphones space but it still sounds fuzzy. I'm not sure if the input has any deal with it because when I played it sounds fuzzy the input will turn red a few times which I'm assuming means that the signal is too hot, is that maybe why the headphones sound fuzzy? But even on a clean channel they still have a fuzz sound to them. Also, (i know I know I know. ) I am using beats stuido headphones. Are they possibly to blame? Any help is Appreciated. Thanks :)

Do you mean fuzzy, as in distorted/clipping? Or Fizzy, as in harsh grating high end?

If your input led turns red, it's too hot, lower your pickup height.

If it's fizzy, try loading a studio eq in the x module, bring the High cut down to 8K or even lower, or set one of the mid freq's to 7k and cut it down.

If it's fuzzy, something is too high, fix the input clipping, then turn settings down until gone. (or your headphones are crap)

Edited once, last by Lobsta ().

• He later reported that it was the shitty headphones were the issue, Lobsta. :)

Wouls those monoprice headphones be better than audio Technica ath m50x? $17 for a pair of headphones freaks me out. That just sounds like they I'll be cheap, are they comparable to anything?

If you compare the price of the Sheepz... I mean, Beatz with any of the cheap-but-way-better-sounding headphones recommended here, it'll be immediately-obvious that you were paying for the name and practically nothing else. They might as well have filled those cans with beach sand and a couple o' sea shells (for "authentic" spacialization) and slapped the badge on 'em IMHO. :D8o

• I think the headphone out is not great, by any means. We tried cheap and expensive headphones...uninspiring, buzzy and fizzy ..Nothing at all like the studio ref monitors. I view it as a last resort for tracking in the dead of night. I think only in ear monitors (high quality) will give a similar vibe and inspiring tone. Just my opinion.

• steinweiner I'll third that the Kemper headphone out sounds great. I've heard the same from several people. I'd suggest checking your headphones and set up if that's what you're getting.

To the OP - Beats are more like jewelry than headphones. Don't be "that guy". ? Sennheiser, AKG, Sony...

• Not great by any means? :huh:

It's fantastic, and that's not just my HO.

In fact, AFAICR you're the first to make this claim. Might be worth reassessing...

Maybe the settings are wrong? Cab is on...We tried some BOSE (not sure of the model # but they are almost $300)...Workable, but not inspiring like thru studio monitors...The BOSE were borrowed, currently have AKG 52 ...Ehh.. Weird..the headphone output from my Presonus actually sounds "ok"... doesn't sound fizzy ...I typically don't use headphones (don't need to.just sharing my brief experience..).

• The beats were Free! Haha as were skull candys. I didn't pay for any of them || im using the space parameter at 7.5. and the input does turn red still so I'll mess with that a bit more. Still gonna get new headphones. But now idk what to buy cause there are so many options, even from what you guys all just listed =O:/

• The Monoprice headphones are a surprisingly useful reference. I use them all the time for recording and practicing with the Kemper. They don't have the big hyped sound a lot of cans have - more focused in the midrange. Cheap to try, anyway :)