NAMM 2019

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There is effectively no chance of a single speaker rated at 600w.

Don't be silly. Supporting a 600w amp is easy, and pretty much every speaker out there is capable of doing it.

It does require some rather complex technical tweaking though, so it may not be for everyone. You have to use the volume knob. :)

Though I have no need for the Kemper cabinet, Ive decided I'm going to buy one.

Just because Kemper has given me more value from my initial purchase than any other piece of gear I have ever owned...and for the first time in my life, I feel like I need to give something back to a company.

I feel the same way. Love their business model and the longevity of the Kemper. I'll probably buy a standalone speaker and stick it in one of my single 12 cabs that currently has a V30.

Do I need it? Absolutely not. But you can never have too many toys, and this way I can justify my GAS by saying that I'm just supporting my friendly neighborhood amp company. ^^

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• No speaker combination (HF and LF driver together) can ever really be "flat". The problem exists at the cross-over point.

In traditional FRFR speakers an HF "horn" is loaded above a "woofer". The spatial difference between the two drivers, and the difference in technology (one is usually a compression driver while the other is a coil wound cone speaker) creates time delay difference between signal input and sound output between the speakers. This can be made better by a delay.

The 2nd issue is that some frequencies are being amplified by both speakers. When the sound comes out of both speakers, the waves get distorted by each other and cause "comb filtering" of frequencies.

The coaxial design hopes to fix this ..... but runs up into another issue. Yea, there was a reason for the "horn" on the HF driver after all. The horn prevents distortion in the signal as the waves exit the driver. Without the horn, well, you get distortion.

Companies have been working with DSP for years in an attempt to make a good powered FRFR that doesn't exhibit these problems. I have to admit, they have come a long way and the latest powered speakers do a surprisingly good job using their FIR tuning algorithms.

Finally, there is the problem of our ears :) As it turns out, people don't hear all frequencies equally. Our own "hearing response" curve is FAR from flat. This is why most people prefer to hear more bass in the mix, or want a bit of boost in the HF top end to get the sound "clear" and "airy" (or any number of other non-sonic terms used). Most really "flat" speakers don't "sound good" to us because of this.

Guitar speakers .... now there is a real enigma. We love the sound of a guitar cab with speakers that are very non-linear, and distort on purpose!

It will be interesting to see how Kemper deals with all of these issues and gets a pleasing sound out of the speaker.

As for speculation, I believe that this improvement is an effort to address the "amp in the room" feeling some guitar players are missing. I can't fathom Kemper missing the mark here. They have been legendary in their ability to assess tone, and give it to their users in spades.

• Weird that they left in that footage after bring asked to cut.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Serious deduction of style points (I notice they had time to edit in the commercials).

Georg seems like a good guy, and was obviously trying very hard to be as accurate as possible and not misrepresent anything.

• That editor looks great. Polished and well thought out.

Yeah, I'm going to stick with drooling over the editor. All this talk of speaker stuff is to complicated for my simple little mind. A mouse button, now that I can wiggle. :)

• Love the editors looks!!!, and am interested in the new "powered" speaker too. Altho I may just use my old SLA-2 amp into a pair of the new "full-range" speakers when they become available. Just LOVE the options available! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Watching that video, I suspect but could very well be wrong that the editor/rig manager is only going to allow controls of the amps and effects - not the underlying settings of the kemper such as outputs etc. Now, I'm not complaining as I'll be pumped to have an official editor when it comes out (especially a free one), but it makes me think that for some people there still will be a place for the ToastMe alongside the Editor.

• Watching that video, I suspect but could very well be wrong that the editor/rig manager is only going to allow controls of the amps and effects - not the underlying settings of the kemper such as outputs etc. Now, I'm not complaining as I'll be pumped to have an official editor when it comes out (especially a free one), but it makes me think that for some people there still will be a place for the ToastMe alongside the Editor.

I have been thinking precisely that since the day they presented the editor.

• Watching that video, I suspect but could very well be wrong that the editor/rig manager is only going to allow controls of the amps and effects - not the underlying settings of the kemper such as outputs etc. Now, I'm not complaining as I'll be pumped to have an official editor when it comes out (especially a free one), but it makes me think that for some people there still will be a place for the ToastMe alongside the Editor.

It’s Looks like they have amp, eq and cab on the line (see about 3:38). As you say there does not appear to be system, rig, inout, output etc. but as they are still working on the software and only releasing in the summer they may add those in (hopefully). As Toastme has shown all the sections are possible to be edited externally.

The whole thing looks great though and I can’t wait to try the final version.

Edited 2 times, last by Deej09 ().