Speaker Output resistance powerhead

• Hey together. I have a funny question. I read on the back on my kpa that I can connect 8-16ohm cabinets to my speaker out. Have the resistance adjusted in the software too? Sorry for this question but I'm not really sure. In the manual isn't a detail.

For me it looks like I can connect a cabinet from 8-16ohm that's it.

:/:sleeping:

• Hey brother, welcome to the forum… I am pretty sure that 8 ohm Cab will give you 600 W output and 16 ohm cab will give you 300 W output from the KPA…

I don’t know how to answer your other question, hopefully someone will come soon and help you with this… Hope you are having a great weekend,

Keith

• hey whats up guys, I have the same problem!!!!, I have a 6 ohm speaker and dont know if the kemper would be harm, im still making research

on youtube and other forums, if you find something let me know the same way Ill let you know if I get something. cheers.

• Nakamura : Any cab/load lower than 8 Ohm is not officially supported.

But it has been stated that the output section of the Profiler protects itself by muting when the load gets too low (4 Ohm) and the demand gets too high.

Therefore I assume that a cab with 6 Ohm load (do things like this exist?) won’t give you problems.

But as always: in any case please verify with support before deviating from the official recommendations!

• Ingolf, thanks a lot for the info!!!! really appreciate it, I just have 1 speaker not a cab, (Electrovoice EVM 12L, 12-inch pro-grade speaker) that I wanna put on a small vintage single speaker box (cab), but I measured the ohms and shows 6 ohms, I know is not accurate at all because multimeter measures on DC not AC, some one told me that some 8 ohms speakers measure between 5.9 ohms and 7. something on DC and its ok, but im still trying to be more safe than sorry, thanks again.

• Yes, I also asked the question a long time ago regarding 4 ohms and was told its fine.

I have been running 4 ohms for 4 years, no problem, but as @ingold said, best to check with support to get an official response.

Going back tot he original question, there is no switch, just plug it in.

• Ingolf, thanks a lot for the info!!!! really appreciate it, I just have 1 speaker not a cab, (Electrovoice EVM 12L, 12-inch pro-grade speaker) that I wanna put on a small vintage single speaker box (cab), but I measured the ohms and shows 6 ohms, I know is not accurate at all because multimeter measures on DC not AC, some one told me that some 8 ohms speakers measure between 5.9 ohms and 7. something on DC and its ok, but im still trying to be more safe than sorry, thanks again.

My (limited) understanding is that the quoted impedence of a speaker is the nominal load at a specific frequency. However, speaker resitance is frequency dependent so measuring it will almost always give you a different reading than the quoted resistance. Apparently an 8ohm speaker will typically read around 6ohms using the AC multimeter method. The EVM12L is normally an 8 ohm rated speaker; I have two in Mesa Boogie Theile Cabs. So that looks like you have a standard 8ohm speaker anyway. You are safe to ise it with the Kemper at least using mine hasn’t caused any damage to either so far ;)

• I should also have me tioned that the Kemper is officially rated down to 4 ohms according to the manual. 8ohms gives 600w and 16 ohms gives 300w as others have said. However, the manual states that when using a 4 ohm cab the output is “electronically limited” to 600w.

I thought I had seen this somewhere...

As said I have run mine with 4 ohms no problem..