The Kemper Foot Controller: What's important to you?

• Wow! I really like the layout and look on this one! What if the Led's were behind the cutout of the letters and numbers on the board? Can't wait to see what finally arrives from the Kemper crew and makes this even better. :thumbup:

• Wow! I really like the layout and look on this one! What if the Led's were behind the cutout of the letters and numbers on the board? Can't wait to see what finally arrives from the Kemper crew and makes this even better. :thumbup:

this exactly was the idea behind it. i wouldn't mind extra leds for superbright stages though... thanks all for the feedback! i really hope, that the official version won't be any bigger... what i like about "my" version is, that it should be pretty simple, not much programming and stuff. easy to implement. just 3 buttons with hold function, the rest is supersimple, yet all i would ever need. hold tap for tuner, hold pre/post for stomp invert, and hopefully: + for solo boost, and still i'd love to hold it for a future looper tool... ;) what is left for programming like brightness and display contrast could be set through the system menu in the kemper itself. i know, this would restrict the unit to kemper users, but this is where we're headed anyways...

• this exactly was the idea behind it. i wouldn't mind extra leds for superbright stages though... thanks all for the feedback! i really hope, that the official version won't be any bigger... what i like about "my" version is, that it should be pretty simple, not much programming and stuff. easy to implement. just 3 buttons with hold function, the rest is supersimple, yet all i would ever need. hold tap for tuner, hold pre/post for stomp invert, and hopefully: + for solo boost, and still i'd love to hold it for a future looper tool... ;) what is left for programming like brightness and display contrast could be set through the system menu in the kemper itself. i know, this would restrict the unit to kemper users, but this is where we're headed anyways...

This is indeed a great concept. I like this one the best of all up to now. Excellent ideas, excellent work!

I've posted my version but I have to say this one is really better! LED's behind the cutouts is a great idea too! :thumbup:
    Whatever it will look like, please make it durable, guitarists are kicking' hard! :D But what I'll do until it comes out? Yess, building my own one out of an old ART X-11 :D

[Blocked Image: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/67811909/board.jpg]

my current Gear: Custom Strat´s (Konstinger Ultimate Guitars), VoVox Cables, KPA, Custom Floor Board, Line6 G50 Wireless, Sennheiser IN Ear, Motu Ultralite mk3, Genelec 1030A, Neumann TLM 103, Apple Audio/Video Stuff

• Surely this is clear to everybody, anyway I want to state it again:

Please don't forget to bring electricity from the amp itself. NO PLUG NEEDED close to the footswitch.

And please at least one Expression pedal. Two appreciated. But if only one, please use an extra button to change from wah to volume. With my Line 6 pedal I had to go full volume to reach wah, which always was a problem to me.

• I like it. Two things:

1) Are the dimensions sized to fit into the KPA Namba bag front pocket? BTW all this compact dimension stuff goes to shit the moment you add an expression pedal to the mix. Where do I stick that thing? (I'm sure someone will tell me where to stick it!)

2) By labeling the button Pre/Post, are you limiting how that button works. For example, when Pre is lit, are ABCD _always_ Pre Amp? With Post lit, are ABCD forced to always be Post amp?

That's where the "A/B" label is more flexible. "A" can be "stuff I like to use a lot - either pre or post amp". "B" can be other stuff - like 4 MIDI notes I can send to my Virus Snow!

Or "A" can be modeler A and "B" can be modeler B etc.... I think we're really looking for an extra "page" of IAs. Pre/Post works well for Kemper, but not necessarily for other stuff.

Don't take that the wrong way, yours is pretty close to what I want.

• By labeling the button Pre/Post, are you limiting how that button works. For example, when Pre is lit, are ABCD _always_ Pre Amp? With Post lit, are ABCD forced to always be Post amp?

I believe that should be switching the function of ABCD on the pedalboard between A/B/C/D and X/Mod/Del/Rev on the Kemper, that's why is labeled Pre/Post

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Hi,

I'm all for a comprehensive foot controller but the KPA itself must have expanded functionality like the ability to control every parameter via MIDI CC. Either on/off or 0-127 (1-128). To me this is more important than undo/redo and new fx.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Hey Guys,

Am I the only one who REALLY needs a built-in Expression Pedal or two?
    From my point of view, the less peripheral equipment the better. I don't want to buy two extra Pedals which are loose on stage.

I'd put the Bank Up/Down Footswitches on the left, like on the POD HD500. I think THEY actually are a very good example. :P

I'd only change Rigs (or presets) and no step-dance to turn the Tube Screamer on or off, and by the way: What if I use the Screamer on every Rhythm Sound and I want to use it with other settings on the lead sound? At this Point I'd be forced to switch the Rig, right? :?:

But most importantly: The Unit has to be ROCK-SOLID. The worst thing that could happen is a Footswitch which is not working at a concert.
    I'd even pay more and have LESS Features for a Uni that works for more then a decade. :thumbup:

• I don't want to buy two extra Pedals which are loose on stage

Fair enough, but a lot of people prefer to have the choice on wich pedals to use (spring loaded, small, big...etc..) and will buy them on the base of the feel under the feet as well. I personally would mount it on a pedalboard together with a couple of ME exp pedals. Understand your point, just have a different preference. ;)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• i would like to see the following features

• one vol/wah expr pedal
    • bank up/down and rig 1-4 switches
    • ctl 1 & 2 switch
    • switch for tuner/mute
    • led for each switch
    • display with rig name ... also visualising the tempo (blinking led)
    • absolutely no programming inside foot controller, all programming is done inside the KPA/inside the rig -> the rig is configuring the footcontroller
    • control switches can be programmed to invert a single or more stomps including reverb & delay
    • control switch can also invert expr pedal function wah <-> vol
  • I understand the rear CAT-5 connector on the KPA is not 10base-T ethernet, nor POE (Power Over Ethernet) - but is a proprietary protocol for the future KPA foot controller.

Just a word - I would really prefer to see a Neutrik Ethercon type RJ-45 connector on the future KPA Foot Controller, as this adds a much more robust connection where we need it!

And of course one cable should provide Bi-Directional communication and POWER!

If there is enough supply current, I'd also like to see a 2.1mm coax +9VDC power port on the foot controller, to supply power for third party stomp boxes.

• My 10c worth from another thread:

My ideal foot controller for KPA:

• Up/Down 5 or 10 switches per bank - led for whichever patch is active stays lit

• Large, clear, BRIGHT display indicating the name of the patch and the patch number (so two-way comms with the unit)

• 4 x Stomp controls with colour LED to match the colour of the stomp available / being used and a separate on/off LED. Using two FS-6 momentary stomps got confusing, as I had to keep looking across at the KPA to see what was on/off and which effects I had loaded.

• 4 x XMDR controls (x, mod, delay, reverb)

• Takes its power from the KPA

• Does NOT have foot pedals for volume / wah, but instead has option for external controller in via balanced jack and feeds that signal to the KPA. Maybe they could do one with pedals for the home enthusiast, but the bulkier the board is, the worse it is for the touring musician. One top reason for me buying the KPA was to scale down without losing tone. If I suddenly have the equivalent of a G-system to tote onto planes again, it would defeat the object for me.

• Tuner button / mute button

parker / prs / kemper / g / mesa

• The ideal footpedal / floorboard does not exist so why bother trying to create it? Short answer: convenience.

Long answer:

Every player has his own needs and other equioment to interface to. A dedicated floorboard is nice for newbies and minimalist but the majority of adopters interested in modeling / profiling type gear are already using (or will discover that they want) interfaces to other outboard gear. MIDI makes it possible for a single floorbard of your choice to control your rig and any parameters available in your gear.

So yes, I'd appreciate a descent proprietary floorboard....BUT....I'd REALLY APPRECIATE a full MIDI implementation. I have an existing rig and would like to integrate the KPA into it. If more features where remotely accessible with MIDI, that would be great. Ideally, ALL parameters would be exposed. This would allow users to create computer software such as backup/restore utilities, profile editors, floorboards, iPad/tablet interfaces....the possibilities are limitless. Look at what users have done with the Roland GR55 which has a robust MIDI interface!

I consider the KPA to be pro gear....and MIDI is what the pros know.

bd

• I believe that should be switching the function of ABCD on the pedalboard between A/B/C/D and X/Mod/Del/Rev on the Kemper, that's why is labeled Pre/Post

Yes, I believe that too. We've written it differently, but I think we're saying the same thing about how we assume this one is intended to work.

What if I want to arrange the Instant Access buttons called ABCD (on the board) to access the FX in slots A, B, X, and Del (in the Kemper) - two of those are "Pre" Stack section and two of those are "Post" Stack section. What does Pre/Post mean then? I don't think it means anything, or at least confuses that situation.

If I can't freely configure ABCD on both the "Pre" page and the "Post" page, then this MIDI foot controller probably isn't for me...

This isn't my favorite, but a label like "ALT", when lit, says "you're on the Alternate page as opposed to the Main page of ABCD buttons". The user sharing his design had something like "A/B".

I'm just suggesting that the Pre/Post label is too Kemperized and suggests too rigid a use model for the buttons ABCD. I understand this board is primarily for the Kemper though. :)

• Just a word - I would really prefer to see a Neutrik Ethercon type RJ-45 connector on the future KPA Foot Controller, as this adds a much more robust connection where we need it!

IMPORTANT !!! MAYBE IN THE FUTURE 19" Unit ?!?

my current Gear: Custom Strat´s (Konstinger Ultimate Guitars), VoVox Cables, KPA, Custom Floor Board, Line6 G50 Wireless, Sennheiser IN Ear, Motu Ultralite mk3, Genelec 1030A, Neumann TLM 103, Apple Audio/Video Stuff

• IMO we need at first a constructive change on the side of the amp: 7 Pin for Midi in for voltage supply for the pedal like it is done on the AxFx.

• IMO we need at first a constructive change on the side of the amp: 7 Pin for Midi in for voltage supply for the pedal like it is done on the AxFx.

The connection will be the Ethernet one, not the midi, and will supply power as well