The Kemper Foot Controller: What's important to you?

• Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie on the forum. I was reading for few weeks now (since I was the Kemper Amp in MusikMesse and talked a bit with Christoph). I don't have the KPA yet... but there's no doubt I will have one.

That's also the reason why I create an account, because I wanted to share a little draft I did about a potential KPA Foot Controller:

[Blocked Image: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7217/6984166392_e0127a50e2.jpg]

Since I don't have the KPA yet, please forgive me if I do write something wrong. I read the KPA Manual to understand it, but it's not the same than using it :)

The main idea behind the Foot Controller is to get 4 Select Memories per Rig and a "Boost" (and of course Tap Tempo) on the bottom row switches.
    Then we have the 4 (Pre) Stomps ABCD, with the indication on the bottom of the screen.
    Then we have the 4 (Post) Effects XMDR, to easily and quickly switch on/off any effects with the top row switches.

We can change Bank/Rig with the Up and Down and have direct access to a Looper (that can be configured to start/stop a sequence, etc...) and an A/B Rig Selector.

If we hold on A/B, we will enter in the Stack to turn on/off the Amp/EQ/Cab and Master with the top row switches.

The Input will allow to quickly switch the Input impedance if you switch guitars, and if we hold it, it will go in the Mute/Tuner.
    If we hold the Rig switch, it will go in the System to setup and adjust the external switches and pedals (Volume, Wah and 1 Assignable for Value change)

If you hold Tap, you will edit your Amp, select 1 (for the Gain) and adjust it with the Assignable Pedals, then press Store or Exit.

On the Top left of the Screen we could see the BPM, then the Presets Name, and then the Volume Vu-Meter (top Right) just on top of the "Memory Name" (such Bridge, Verse, Chorus, Intro... or Clean, Crush, Solo, etc...). When you change a value on the System, you can save/exit with the Tap/Boost switches... (similar to a Ground Control Footboard from Voodoo Lab).

That's my take on the Kemper Amp Foot Controller.... The design could be way better, but I tried to do the V Shape for the colors and I don't know if it really comes out well... but you get the idea :)

Phil

Edited once, last by Spid ().

• Add-on:

For the ones who don't like the symmetrical design and/or would like to have the Bank/Song Up and Down side by side, there's an alternative design:

[Blocked Image: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7088/7130461811_8b1915b9f6.jpg]

This one is even easier to understand with one side for what is in the RIG: Memories 1234, the Pedals ABCD, and the Effects XMDR and the screen.
    And the other side to select and play a RIG: Bank, A/B, Loop, Boost, Tap, Inputs

This design is made to have on the right side, everything important you need such: Mute/Tuner, Loop, Next Song and Tap.

I hope you like it, that's my favorite :)

Phil

• I just got my Kemper. I like it so far. I had an AXEFX unit and the matching floor controller for a while. And I don't get what all the fuss is with Kemper making a controller.

the MFC was ok, but the proprietary nature turns me off and is always limited. Its not like all our rigs are centered around AXEFX or Kemper.

Why wouldn't Fractal and Kemper focus on making their effects units the best possible and allow all the midi controllers to work with it. I know fractal did that with liquid foot controllers, and so I decided to get the FAMC Liquid Foot 12+ to work with all my stuff. And I saw the difference immediately from what I had before it. I was blown away.

Unlike the proprietary stuff, I found out I can program this thing the way I want it laid out, not the way I would be forced with other stuff. Every one seems to want to layout their units in a particular way-- and the solution is already on the market. Too take it further, it comes in different sizes. The JR+ was 8 buttons, I got the 12 button, and they have a pro with 24 buttons.

It might sound like a commercial- but I am not--- I just don't get why we need proprietary controllers from any of these guys. First AXEFX, now Kemper. What happens when we switch to the next thing- out goes the controller and in comes something else.

I don't think that's wise for us as customers. I am going to stick with one controller for all my stuff now- and I am surprised by the desire for proprietary controllers. We should demand the midi be open so we have our own choice in the matter. I liked the fact that my AXEFX worked with any controller, even some of the unique functions- like tuner worked with the liquid foot. No reason we should expect any less with our Kemper.

It took me a long time to figure out my perfect pedal layout. I changed to find what was best for me. And for me, I found a product that lets me change the layout whenever I want. I was astonished by how much I could do--- hate to change that now just because of proprietary reasons... and I won't. Just say'in

Am I alone? I don't want to keep buying controllers for every device that comes out. Line6, then AXE and now Kemper. Enough.

I hope Kemper can keep making great firmware upgrades to what so far seems like my go-to amp rig for now... keep making that better!

• You might have overlooked that we have a midi implemenation for pedals already.

And you are right, we invite everybody to use the pedal that fits the best, especially if other equipment is to be controlled aside from the KPA. Many users do that already.

I don't see remote pedals as our core business, this is why we want to keep it small, simple proprietary, thus affordable. Saying that, we have no initial plans to support programming of generic midi messages for other devices, as that is the focus of the great generic pedals.

It would be great if some other companies that focus on remote pedals would make a pedal fit for digital amps with bidirectional communication, to show proprietary display contents such as tuner or rig name.
    I guess some amp companies would collaborate.
    If that was the case I would probably step back from making our own pedal, cause there is more to do.

But I have got no call from another company.
    I wonder why nobody has started a business for a next generation remote pedals yet. It's not rocket sience.

CK

• Am I alone? I don't want to keep buying controllers for every device that comes out. Line6, then AXE and now Kemper. Enough.

What a great question... I'm gonna just give my own case, that's the only one I really know :)

I don't own an Axe FX II, neither a Pod... I do have an Eleven Rack though, but that's mainly because I bought it for my small ProTools at home (right before version 9 that can work with any interface now). I never bought a foot controller for it, since I never really use much the Eleven Rack for anything other than my ProTools rig at home...

So now, I'm seeking for the Kemper Amps, for few main reasons:

1) I think it apparently does sound freaking good and very close from the real thing
    2) It's half the price of an Axe-FX 2
    3) I already have a bunch of amps at the studios and I could just profile them and use them at home
    4) I could profile any amp setup for any recording session and have a solution to quickly do some reamping, new recording, etc...
    5) I love the looks... it's not the prime criteria (sound is), but it's always better if you like the look of the product you use
    6) I have been using Virus Synths on several productions I did (including one for a pussycat doll's kimberly song) and I love them, great quality, very serious and effective... so I believe Christoph will have the same professionalism about the KPA that he had for the Virus so far...

It's surely and probably not your criterias, but that's mine and that's why I want a KPA now. Since it will be the amp I will use everywhere (home, studio, stage, etc...), I even hope to have the Amp option, reducing the need for any external stuff.

Since I don't have any foot controller yet, I did look for the Liquid Foot (from FAMC), the Ground Control (from Voodoo Lab) as well as the G-System (we have one at the studio)... and there's with any doubt, probably a dozen more models.

But I don't want to spend as much for a Foot Controller as for the KPA by itself. I want something affordable, easy to use (efficient on stage), that work seamlessly with the KPA. I won't use it to control anything else, so an affordable and reliable solution for the KPA would make sense to me.

I'm sure a LF+ 8 or 12 would probably be a killer solution and it might be a better solution for the guys with a lot of gear, very complex rig, etc... Who knows, it might be the case for me later (I doubt since I'm more a keyboard player and I'm not such a great guitar player though), but for now, a very simple but complete, efficient but affordable and designed to work in perfect symbiosis with the KPA... yeah!

However, I do agree a good bidirectional communication to have foot controller such the Liquid Foot to have full integration with KPA, that would be great... Or even something such the Line6 M13 and be able to see the Stomps Pedals info and values and edit them from the foot controller... why not :)

Here's why, some people, could be interested by a dedicated KPA Foot Controller, at least that's my reasons and only mine. Everyone's different and I understand why people would prefer a full blown Midi/HUI/EuCon... or even CopperLan integration :)

My 2 cents,
    Phil

• Good point, Mr. Kemper. I guess you already know Gordius. I believe Xavier De Donder (the creator of "UnO" FW) is the man who could consider such a project, but they are probably too small to start by themselves.

Might it be a case of the mountain coming to Mohammed? ;)

Just my 0.02

• that'd be great, why not just hook up with fellas from liquid foot and get them integrated in the kemper set up? hook up via ethernet (bi-directional and phantom powered) and give us some programming templates... AND a european distribution channel... maybe just ask them, might be interesting for them as well...?

• that'd be great, why not just hook up with fellas from liquid foot and get them integrated in the kemper set up? hook up via ethernet (bi-directional and phantom powered) and give us some programming templates... AND a european distribution channel... maybe just ask them, might be interesting for them as well...?

This is really good for me. Per CK post above I sent in a support ticket to FAMC liquid foot about this feature on my 12+. They responded that they already have two way communication built in via midi IN and OUT as well as their expansion ports. They have been doing it for years with several other effects units. Here is the quote from the response I received:

"We have been doing two way communications with effects units for years now. First Line6, then G-Major and then Fractal. It takes about 2-4 days for us to implement the integration once the messages are agreed to. We have messages that we share with vendors which are simple to implement usually. We start with preset name(s), effects state(s) and tuner info when available. You can have your vendor send us an email at [email protected] and we can coordinate."

This would be cool if we can get you guys to work together. My rig would thank the both of you and be much happier.

By the way- just digging the Kemper. I wish we could call it artwork. What a great piece of art. I need to borrow some more amps now! that is my biggest problem. Soon to be solved with the help of some friends.

• Although I don't really care who makes the pedal for KPA, I am a big fan of what CK initially proposed in another thread, with only missing point being the Rig name display.

I want the KPA controller to be (1) affordable (2) not too complex (too many buttons) (3) bidirectional (buttons setting synchronized w/KPA, rigname display etc).

With generic controllers out there, it's very hard to get all the above done w/o paying a fortune.

I believe CK's initial proposal is very well thought of. For instance, with 4 effect buttons - each of which can be programmed to switch up to 3 effects - hopefully including "boost" and "loop", I don't think there would be anything I can't do.

Just my opinion, of course.

Jake

Edited once, last by jakeykim ().

• +1

• Having used everything from a Ground Control to a G System & most of my gigs being flyaway ones space is an issue for me. That said getting access to as many fx etc will be important to me. I will be using my Kemper live as soon as the remotely powered foot board is out. I'm currently using a Nova System & the way it's switching is implemented seems to work well. It's very small yet you still have full access to all fx on/off options & by way of a longer press, banks & programs. You can also select a straight program only mode too. The Nova System has a tiny footprint & this was my primary reason for switching from the G System.

• Couple of built in expression pedals would be cool.

Working in tandem with the Performance mode you really wouldn't need a lot of switches I'd imagine. You'd program each patch/rig and could just cycle through them for a given song that had all the settings/switchs already baked..

I love at least two that can have multiple parameters assigned to each. Also, please do something cool like in the Zoom G9.2tt where a pedal has two vectors of control... a kind of x/y thing. Once I had a Korg multi-effect pedal that instead of a fulcrum style pedal it had a "pressure pedal" where you had to actually put some weight on it to trigger a change. It was like it had a heavy duty spring under it. It felt super good (though you obviously couldn't "park" it) and really led to expressive control. I always thought that if you took that kind of control and mounted a traditional pedal on top you could do really super cool stuff.

• Something occurred to me: I'd be using this along with my vg-99/fc-300. It would be nice to have a mode that is for parameters only and no prog chg. I'd rather send the PCs over midi or, even better, USB.

• the most important thing for me is to just release it ASAP.

I decided I couldn't wait any more and just ordered a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus. I'll use this to set up a MIDI Moose to do whatever I need (or the patch change pedals on my GR55 when I want to incorporate synths etc.) It's handy that I can hide the Event Processor in the power amp cavity in the back of the KPA. :)

• A feature I always liked in the Digitech Control One pedal was that if you click a program change button a second time, it toggles back to whatever program you just came from.

So rather than just doing nothing if you click the program change button while you're already on that program, you could use it as a toggle between two programs. Really nice for a quick change and back again. And since it didn't matter what bank the "previous" patch was from, you could toggle between programs that may not be in the same current bank.

• Hi & Hello to all. Got my KPA about 2 weeks ago and still got those big eyes and a wide open mouth, can't beleve it. All I use are 2 active fullrange PA Tops on the main outs, amazing!
    I was searching for THE AMP for 40 years, finally found all I ever had + much more in this tiny little "Kofferradio" (german for 50's portable radio)
    On most of my rigs I had a Midi-Footcontroller. Last one I bought was the VoodooLab Ground Control. I have 4 Buttons for selecting the 4 channels of my Boogie Quad (MIDI 01 to exef Midiswitcher) and 8 Buttons for adding the effects of my TC Nova System (MIDI 02). The Quad-channelselect needs one bank. I have 32 banks that can be changed by the +/- button. I guess 4 different sounds are enough for one song - for example.
    I guess you all know much about midi and how flexible a modern midi system can be. All you have to have is: adjustable Midi channels (1-10) and presets (0-128 ) on Stomp Boxes, FX and profiles. Thats all! Here you can use every Midi Footcontroller on this planet, no need to create another "Footconroller", this would be the 7698th one.

If all this Midi stuff is allready available in the KPA - somehow - I'll find it next days when I'm at this section, or you can leave a note here. For now and the next few weeks, I have to find & create sounds for my music. This is a lot of work, because I love to play my Guitars for hours...on every sound.

cheers...

Edited once, last by bbblue ().